• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vertigo issues on the Sanabres?

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Considering the Sanabres fot my next Camino in March/ April 2017 or the Vasco Interior?

Pro Vasco for me : more stops , am most comfortable with daily stages of max 25 k. Some beautiful Romanesque artwork.
Contra : Less people? I remember from my two days on the Camino del Ebro that meeting not one pilgrim was hard for me.

Pro Sanabres : More pilgrimage feeling. Ending in Santiago. More pilgrims but not as much as on the Frances.

Doubts for boths : I do have vertigo. I don't have a problem with heights and mountains but I get very scared when close to walking next to a cliff/ ridge /edge.

So can you experienced Sanabres people give me some guidance on the vertigo issue?

PS. When I consult the Gronze website they give more stars regarding difficulties to the Sanabres than to the Primitivo. Whereas I always believed the Primitivo is much harder?

Ah decisions...decisions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Vertigo victim her also? I didn't had any problems on the Sanabres. I think the few "stepping stone crosses" that made me uncomfortable and one time forced me to choose an alternative where all earlier, on the Plata. Buen Camino, SY

Vertigo victim her also? I didn't had any problems on the Sanabres. I think the few "stepping stone crosses" that made me uncomfortable and one time forced me to choose an alternative where all earlier, on the Plata. Buen Camino, SY

Cheers for the reassurance. I remember from blog from Magwood that she describes some kind of " ridge" out of Granja de Moruerela. So if this is the case I can always take the bus from Zamora to Tabara and start there.
The more I read about the Sanabres the more it appeals to me.
Thinking about doable stages for me and then of course change them when actually on the Camino....;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I short cutted from Montamarta to Tabara via the road, so no idea about Granja. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Buen Camino, SY

I short cutted from Montamarta to Tabara via the road, so no idea about Granja. Sorry, should have mentioned that. Buen Camino, SY

No worries. I only have three weeks anyway and to give myself enough time to make some shorter stages I will have to start in Granja or Tabara and not Zamora. If I recover fully with this foot issue otherwise I'm seriously thinking of hospi volunteering.

image.jpeg I think this is the worst bit I can recall, betweenGranja de moreruela and Tabara. Best avoided for vertigo sufferers but it can be done following the road instead.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cheers Domigee...very informative.
Think I can handle this. Of course when muddy and rainy...?

Considering the Sanabres fot my next Camino in March/ April 2017 or the Vasco Interior?

Pro Vasco for me : more stops , am most comfortable with daily stages of max 25 k. Some beautiful Romanesque artwork.
Contra : Less people? I remember from my two days on the Camino del Ebro that meeting not one pilgrim was hard for me.

Pro Sanabres : More pilgrimage feeling. Ending in Santiago. More pilgrims but not as much as on the Frances.

Doubts for boths : I do have vertigo. I don't have a problem with heights and mountains but I get very scared when close to walking next to a cliff/ ridge /edge.

So can you experienced Sanabres people give me some guidance on the vertigo issue?

PS. When I consult the Gronze website they give more stars regarding difficulties to the Sanabres than to the Primitivo. Whereas I always believed the Primitivo is much harder?

Ah decisions...decisions.

Nothing to worry about that I recall. Leaving Puebla de Sanabria to Lubian was a little high and a bit hard over stones but no cliffs. A beautiful way, I will be doing it again this year going from Alicante.
Enjoy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nothing to worry about that I recall. Leaving Puebla de Sanabria to Lubian was a little high and a bit hard over stones but no cliffs. A beautiful way, I will be doing it again this year going from Alicante.
Enjoy

Thank you!

Thank you!
Hotel Monte Carlo. Across the street from the train station. I think it was 40E. Attached restaurant not very fancy but good food. There is a local dish on the menu that was great. The waiter will know. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@SabineP that day out of Granja was spectacular. As I remember the track runs quite close to the edge when down near the water level, but not so close as you climb up. It would be a shame to miss such a beautiful walk, although as @domigee says, there is a road alternative if you are anxious. Would it help if you were walking with someone on that stage?

There is also a dam to walk across on another stage, but if is very wide - you could easily walk in the middle and not see over the side at all.

@SabineP that day out of Granja was spectacular. As I remember the track runs quite close to the edge when down near the water level, but not so close as you climb up. It would be a shame to miss such a beautiful walk, although as @domigee says, there is a road alternative if you are anxious. Would it help if you were walking with someone on that stage?

There is also a dam to walk across on another stage, but if is very wide - you could easily walk in the middle and not see over the side at all.

Cheers Magwood. I always walk solo and also if there would be a fellow pilgrim that day I would not want to be a burden to him/her and freak or freeze when crossing that particular track :). So the alternative road will be my option.

Although I really do not have something to complain about...my problem is really a luxurious one.
Just read this in the paper : Strong children in every aspecet of the word. Let us hope the local authorities reinstall the cablelift.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gerous-school-run-chinese-children-800m-cliff

We started the Sanabres in Zamora, and I do not recall any part of the actual Camino that would present 'issues' for anyone who experiences vertigo. While not on the actual Camino, if you go up to the top of the old part of Puebla de Sanabria, which is located on a high promontory, suggest that you avoid going anywhere up there that will give you a view down.

Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back