• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(very) early morning flight out of Santiago

design4life

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014-18 Kumano Kodo 2019 Portu 2022 Inglés 2023
I need to get myself from Santiago to Leipzig, Germany in one day, and the best way for me is to begin with a 6:40am Iberia flight out of Santiago. Has anyone had experience with making such a flight? I'm assuming the airport is a short taxi ride from the city, easy to manage at 5am, and that the only deterrent might be my pre-dawn grouchiness.
Thanks so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I need to get myself from Santiago to Leipzig, Germany in one day, and the best way for me is to begin with a 6:40am Iberia flight out of Santiago. Has anyone had experience with making such a flight? I'm assuming the airport is a short taxi ride from the city, easy to manage at 5am, and that the only deterrent might be my pre-dawn grouchiness.
Thanks so much!

Our flight in November was early and we took a taxi; shared between three. I think it was 21€? But that could be badly remembered. The hostel directed us to the taxi rank and told us the price was fixed... she said there would always be a taxi there but you might prefer to book in advance? It was all very easy. :)

Last September it was 21 euros and thats what we have been charged for the last 3 years. The airport is small and efficient so you should not be delayed there. Have a great time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My flights out of Santiago have always been around 6am. Taxis are the best and easiest way that early in the morning for the 15 or 20 minute ride. It's best to book one the night before to pick you up where you're staying. The price was 21 euro when I was there this past April. Something to ease the early morning departure is the great breakfast and coffee at the airport!

My wife did it back in early November - no problem

Airline and security people will not be at the airport real early, so you do not need two hours there. Arrive forty-five minutes before your flight, and you will be fine (and probably have time for a coffee).

From AENA which operates Spanish airports:

Taxi
There is a flat fare of 21 euros to the airport. There is a €0.50 supplement for each suitcase or piece of luggage and €3.20 for bicycles or booking the service. None of these supplements may be charged when night-time rates are applied.

Things change, but it has been 21 for a while (plus, sometimes, that baggage charge).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for the quick responses. It is heartening to hear of good coffee at any airport!!

The mention of 21 euros is amazing. I had a taxi pick me up from a hotel on the outskirts of Santiago, early in the morning. The taxi took me to the airport and i was charged 21 euros.
This was in September 2012!

I caught the bus to the airport - my flight was very early and got there in ample time - enough time to even have that early morning coffee - the bus left from outside
Zara on the square and it was really cheap - there were loads of pilgrims waiting for it.
Happy planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I caught the bus to the airport - my flight was very early and got there in ample time - enough time to even have that early morning coffee - the bus left from outside
Zara on the square and it was really cheap - there were loads of pilgrims waiting for it.
Happy planning!
Yes - the bus is very cheap and I'd love to use this service but it doesn't work for very early morning flights. I believe the earliest bus to the airport is 6:00am.

You can take either the Bus to the Airport or a cab from a Taxi rank next to the Airport Bus stop. No need to book a ride. I took a plane to Sevilla very early in the morning and did not have any issues. Taxi fare is fixed.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had one of these 6.00am flights 2 years ago. I got the last airport bus about 11pm the night before planning to sleep on a bench at the airport. I found a bench and managed to nod off, all the lights get dimmed about midnight. I awoke about 4.00am, and was astonished to see people sleeping on benches all around me, I was so surprised I walked around the airport and counted 54 people asleep in various places. They all woke up to catch the 6.00 flight to madrid

You CAN take the first airport bus from Plaza Galicia at 06:00. BUT, CONSIDER that the trip usually takes about 40 - 45 minutes. The bus starts at Plaza Galicia, then stops at: the train station, bus station, and maybe three other in-city stops before heading out to the airport.

Thus, IMHO the taxi is the best way to get to the airport at, say 05:00 or 05:30, before bus service starts. This is especially the case if you are on that first 06:40 flight. BUT, you need to call the night before to reserve, to ensure someone is on duty.

Another option is to stay your final night at Hotel Garcas. It is about one kilometer from the airport terminal building. You can stay there on your last night, then walk to the airport as early as you choose. It winds up costing more than if you took the taxi, but might represent an economy if you were paying for a hotel in Santiago anyway.

This hotel is clean, convenient and well priced. Itis popular with folks leaving early in the morning.

When walking in on the CF, I usually stay there my final night before arriving in Santiago. It is just a few hundred meters off the Camino route, where it crosses the N-634 in the village of Lavacolla and descends into the forest. When you get the the road, just after the church, turn left and walk the shoulder / verge of the road. Hotel Garcas is the terracotta colored building on the right. You cannot miss it.

If arriving at Hotel Garcas to spend your last night before flying out, the easiest thing to do is to take the airport bus from Plaza de Galicia. Strangely, the FINAL AIRPORT BUS STOP, before the airport terminal is immediately in front of Hotel Garcas. You can get off the airport bus there to access the hotel.

Hope this helps.

Our flight in November was early and we took a taxi; shared between three. I think it was 21€? But that could be badly remembered. The hostel directed us to the taxi rank and told us the price was fixed... she said there would always be a taxi there but you might prefer to book in advance? It was all very easy. :)

My friend and I stayed in a hotel in Lavacolla the night before our early morning flight. We woke up and walked to the airport - perhaps 30 minutes. An easy walk - it felt like the right way to end our pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back