• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Very happy about my $6 (200g/7oz) 20 L daypack find!

flippinkittin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino francés, verano 2017
So I just found some 'ultralight' waterproof daypacks on ebay. There are a ton of choices. They are coming from china, but since they weigh less than a half of a pound, and I still have over a month before my trip, I think I'm good to go. Can't beat the price.

Sea to summit, and Osprey both have a similar option, but they are each about $35. Although, I just double checked, and the name brand packs are only 2 and 3 ounces. I'm willing to hike with the extra 4 ounces to save $30. Maybe you veterans would have a different opinion ; )

Edit: product link added for clarity
http://www.ebay.com/itm/23216738201...49&var=531375072666&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So I just found some 'ultralight' waterproof daypacks on ebay. There are a ton of choices. They are coming from china, but since they weigh less than a half of a pound, and I still have over a month before my trip, I think I'm good to go. Can't beat the price.

Sea to summit, and Osprey both have a similar option, but they are each about $35. Although, I just double checked, and the name brand packs are only 2 and 3 ounces. I'm willing to hike with the extra 4 ounces to save $30. Maybe you veterans would have a different opinion ; )

You can buy gear once or you can buy it twice.

If you buy the cheap crap the first time around you will find it lets you down when you need it most.

You need a pack with an internal frame and a hip belt ... and I'll bet yours hasn't either.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You're going to carry a 20 L pack in your pack? To carry what around town? I hope it compresses down to a tiny ball.

It does compress to a tiny ball! That's why I'm so excited about it!! It weighs about a half a pound. Much better than a purse, or typical daypack.

I will also use it to help organize my things inside my big bag.
Gotcha.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well ..... if you get 4 sacks it's an extra pound.
Are you talking about stuff sacks or a pack? I may be confused.

It's a backpack. I didn't add a link at first because I didn't want it to seem like I was plugging a specific product, but it seems my post was unclear as it has been met with a lot of confusion.

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232167382014?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=531375072666&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks for the link, it is always good to see alternatives.
The Sea to Summit was all that was available when I bought mine. It cost about £12 (GB) but that has now doubled in the local shop. However I have had it and use it regularly at home for shopping and sightseeing on holidays and it is still good after 6 years or so. I also had to consider whether even the extra 68gms was OK for me to carry.
Yours looks a good alternative and also seems to have 3 compartments which would be useful.
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have one of the S2S ones and I use it for lots of things - most importantly to keep my washbag, towel and a drybag with fresh underwear in inside my pack, so I can just drag it out and go straight to the shower. I just add my sidebag with money, passport etc and go. After the shower I have all my peeled off walking clothes in it so I can move on to laundry, then carry the wet clothes to the line and hang the bag to dry with them, ready to collect dry clothes in a dry bag back to my bunk and then repack it for the next day. For walking around town I just bring my sidebag, but it would be handy for grocery shopping too. The one thing I have been missing in my pack is a pocket or two to keep safety pins, brush etc so they don't end up at the bottom, and yours seems to have that. It looks brilliant.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've carried my S2S Sling bag both trips. It is my personal carry on when I fly (To Spain and my domestic trips). I have it at my seat with essentials in it so I don't have to get anything out of my back pack in the overhead storage while flying. It's my grocery bag and my walk around town bag (only in villages, not big cities). Smushes down to the size of a lemon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232167382014?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=531375072666&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Looks like a great find! It will definitely be useful on your Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The lighter the better for your extra pack. I have the Sea to Summit, not waterproof and it was about $32. Your e-bay choice looks good, but I would be concerned about shipping from China and have it arrive on time or at all. If you want a bargain, you might still check online Amazon for different choices. Enjoy! Buen Camino.

There's one thing that you may wish to consider. All of the "pack-away packs" have one thing in common.

They do not have a padded back, which means (a) they don't have much in terms of shape, so that everything drops down into a lump at the bottom, and (b) there is nothing to protect your back from hard corners.

Several years back, my wife bought two of them -- one for her and one for me. I used mine only once, and she abandoned hers after 5 or 6 uses.

As stuff-bags they're great; as carry-on-your-back bags they leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yeah, that'll work fine. I carry something similar in the event I have to check-in my backpack. If I do, I just transfer some stuff I need to it, and check in the backpack. It's inexpensive, so if I lose it, or just decide to leave it in an albergue, no big deal. I take that route on all equipment I bring on the Camino. Nothing expensive and nothing that's a big deal to trash, donate or lose.

You're going to carry a 20 L pack in your pack? To carry what around town? I hope it compresses down to a tiny ball.
I got one at my local Mark's Work Wearhouse. It compresses down to the size of a good size peach, and weighs only a couple of ounces and cost me $10.00

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the link, it is always good to see alternatives.
The Sea to Summit was all that was available when I bought mine. It cost about £12 (GB) but that has now doubled in the local shop. However I have had it and use it regularly at home for shopping and sightseeing on holidays and it is still good after 6 years or so. I also had to consider whether even the extra 68gms was OK for me to carry.
Yours looks a good alternative and also seems to have 3 compartments which would be useful.
Buen Camino
I checked out the seat to sky sling bag when I first heard of . However, its not available locally, and otherwise would have cost me upwards of $50. And though I like the ideal it seems a bit steep to me.

No no no no, this isn't my real pack, this is just a day pack to carry essentials around town! I'm all for buying quality gear, but this piece doesn't have to be durable.
I have the one from Eddie Bauer that I have used on many trips. It is tiny to pack away and perfect for keeping essentials handy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232167382014?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=531375072666&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Thanks for sharing this with us. I've been looking at the S2S one for about $37AUS, thinking it would be a good choice for the Camino (same purpose as you). I'll definitely check out the much cheaper ones on Ebay now that I know about it. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for sharing this with us. I've been looking at the S2S one for about $37AUS, thinking it would be a good choice for the Camino (same purpose as you). I'll definitely check out the much cheaper ones on Ebay now that I know about it. :)
Shop around. There were other options that weighed less, but what I liked about this one was that it has 3 or 4 separate pouches.

It's a backpack. I didn't add a link at first because I didn't want it to seem like I was plugging a specific product, but it seems my post was unclear as it has been met with a lot of confusion.

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/232167382014?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=531375072666&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I personally do not recommend this as any pack. I own one of these and have been hit with a ton of issues for something that should be so simple. The outside may look nice, but the inside is made of very loose and cheap material. If any moisture gets inside (wet clothes, a bottle of water) the material will stick to this object and begin falling apart. I used this to go on small day hikes to carry some food and water around. If it catches something it will tear easily. Hopefully you don't encounter any of these problems and at $6, not much to lose.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.