• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Very Miscellaneous Topic

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
A group of friends and I have been making woolen blankets and clothing to donate to LILY, a one-woman-band distributing goods to (mostly Syrian) refugees in Turkey.
Initially my sister-in-law was going to take packages back to Istanbul with her when she returns to her teaching post there after Christmas but that option has fallen through.
Then someone said DHL was delivering parcels for refugees at cost, but they have not replied to my repeated emails so it would appear that's an urban myth.
Contacting airlines has been similarly fruitless.
Newest idea: the kids and I are travelling up to Spain in May and could bring packages with us seeing as we just take carry-on backpacks for ourselves. Sending them from Madrid ought to be so much cheaper than from New Zealand.
Does anyone have experience with any particular transporting company that is not exorbitantly priced? I am currently awaiting replies from a few that I have found via a google search, but someone on the ground might have a better idea. Or maybe someone is taking a road trip from Madrid to Kusadasi starting on May 2nd and would take a couple of boxes along...OK so maybe that's a wild shot, more likely that someone will be walking to Rome and they would not want to carry 20kg!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe you could find an agency that will take care of them? If not in N.Z., then once in Spain? I'll contact my two Syrian friends and ask if they can give an idea.

Thanks Anna. I'm hoping to have something lined up so that when I arrive we can take the parcels wherever they need to go during the few hours we have in Madrid.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have I have been trying to get donated sheets,bras and baby clothes to Vanuatu but not having much success either ,have started a give a little page to pay for freight .
I think best option is to take them with you as check in luggage and contact Red Cross and get them to pick them up from you.
Hopefully they will get to the right destination ,but unfortunately there are a lot of currupt people in the world taking advantage ,good luck

Hi @Kiwi-family and others:

Here is a place to start with connections and information and lots of direct contact information in Lesvos, Greece http://lesvosvolunteers.com

From the site:
On Lesvos, several local teams of volunteers are at work : you will find a presentation of each team on the “About us” page. The latest news of this network of solidarity are on the “What’s up” page.

Some of these groups my be able to help with transport or connections in Turkey, too.

I read in the last few days one of the airlines is allowing packages without a weigh surcharge, but I don't recall which one.

Thanks for that. My news is that I have found a group in Madrd, just 500m from the hostel we'll be overnighting in, who are eager to take what we have. They do weekly trips to Lesbos and Calais - so we'll donate to them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Anna. I'm hoping to have something lined up so that when I arrive we can take the parcels wherever they need to go during the few hours we have in Madrid.
Hi Rachael,
I have sent you a PM this morning. I also found a contact in Madrid they would deliver to Lebanon, where she says the situation is dire. She is not so keen on the reliability of delivery in Turkey! Obviously you need to deliver with the least hassle possible! Let me know!

Hi Rachael,
I have sent you a PM this morning. I also found a contact in Madrid they would deliver to Lebanon, where she says the situation is dire. She is not so keen on the reliability of delivery in Turkey! Obviously you need to deliver with the least hassle possible! Let me know!
Anna, can you send me that information also?

Aww - how kind you are. Have you thought of publicising a local public fund-raising auction - the local media would be interested, as would the local churches, and selling the blankets at home .. then donating the money to established charitable organisations already on the ground over there?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie, can you send me a PM and I'll give you my friends email in England. This goes for anyone else too!
FYI Adriaan and I used to live in Syria and we still have contacts. The girl I know and with whom I have regular contact, is daughter if a close English friend, married to a Syrian and they still live in Damascus. The daughter has lived in England for about the last 20 years, but has become very active trying to help the various agencies and getting contacts.

Here's the group that I have had contact with.
https://www.facebook.com/bienvenidorefugiadomadrid/

David, I understand your line of reasoning - in fact, I would usually take that kind of approach. However, this time I had been gifted a large amount of wool and so a few friends started making blankets, inspired by the way a very small organisation was working in Turkey - it's actually a one-woman-band. LILY, standing for Love in the Language of Yarn. She has distributed thousands and thousands of items to refugees, funds a bakery supplying brad to five villages, organised water filters, baby milk formula, cloth nappies/diapers....all sorts of stuff. While we were keen to support her endeavour, we are just as happy for the blankets and clothing we have made to go to refugees elsewhere, and that is why I am carrying it with me to Spain in May! In fact, now that we know for sure that the kids and I will be personally taking it, we are going to do a drive in the new year to see if we can gather 100kg of gear (we currently have made only 22kg)

http://love-in-the-language-of-yarn...-it-your-new-year-resolution-to.html?spref=fb

@2kiwis - can I suggest that for Vanuatu you try the Mothers Union - they are world wide and there is a strong presence in Vanuatu, their diocesan MU is linked to our diocesan MU (Exeter UK) and your New Zealand branches might be able to help you with contacts etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back