• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Very scared of terrorism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Nicole. Unfortunately, fear is the very goal of terrorism (and much of the media it seems) and it lives in every corner of the world including our country of Canada. If we choose to let that fear stop us from going about our daily lives then a few bad people have defeated a world full of good people. There are places that I would avoid at this time when making my personal travel plans but Spain is not one of them (I fly out from Vancouver on April 9th for Madrid). I hope you are able to come to terms with your fear and set out on a journey that is well worth the effort and one you will never forget!! Buen Camino, Jordon.

Airtransat from Toronto to Oporto Portugal.

Tram from OPO to Porto Campanha station.

CP train from Porto to Vigo Spain.

Renfe train from Vigo to Irun/Hendaye

Metro Donostealdea train from Irun to Hendaye (3km) (if your renfe train doesn't terminate in Hendaye)

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne

SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP

It may seem inconvenient to go from Porto to SJPdP however, its a lot more convenient to go from Santiago to Porto at the end of your walk than it is to go from Santiago to somewhere else such as Paris.

Otherwise SJPdP is connected by bus to Pamplona and by train to Bayonne. There are good rail bus and air connections to Bayonne and Pamplona from several major European centers including Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, and London. We can give you greater detail once you decide where you are going to enter Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My travel plan is flying with Air Canada from Vancouver - Toronto - Newark - Madrid. Overnight in Madrid and then 7:30am train (Renfe) from Madrid to Pamplona and then a quick taxi ride from Pamplona to SJPDP arriving around noon. But many, many options exist. Try using skyscanner.net to search for flight options.

Without knowing your precise dates, I randomly picked May 1st and June 6th.

Air Canada has a flight non-stop to Paris on the 1st, and a return flight from Madrid on June 6th for $767 Canadian. The flight into Paris arrives at 8:45 AM, which means you could book a second flight to Biarritz (the closest airport to SJPDP for the early afternoon (Easy Jet flies there), or possibly look at a train.

Getting to Madrid from Santiago, you again could either fly fairly cheaply (Iberia) or train.

As for the terrorist risk, forget about it. You are far, far more likely to get in a car accident in Toronto between now and the time you leave than you are to get caught in an attack.

Hello all, ink from Canada here. Planning on beginning Camino Frances first week of May.

With all the unrest, a few questions:

* How to travel from Toronto to St. Jean Pied de Port?

* How to deal with fear of terrorist threats

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole

Hi Terluna and welcome to the Forum
Thank you for being brave enough to set down your fears here. It is good to be aware of what you feel and no one will think you foolish.

Travel and terrorism is a difficult subject. As I live in Australia, I cannot help you with the Canada travel bit but I can advise that you register with your government travel website http://travel.gc.ca/rrr. This way, if there is a problem that is serious enough, you will be contacted and/or assistance provided in the event of a disaster or act of terrorism.

I have first hand experience of this with our Australian version when bombs went off in Kathmandu, Nepal on our first visit during the Maoist insurgency. As we flew into the country, our embassy issued a Do Not Travel. Bit late for us and we had deliberated - as you are - before we travelled. Because we had registered with SmartTraveller we were provided with the most up to date information and took our lead from the locals. It was an amazing trip.

Only you can decide what level of risk you are willing to except when you travel. Keep in mind though, as @Thengel1 has said, statistics show that driving to and from the airport is the most hazardous part of any journey yet we don't give it a second thought.

Travel well, whatever Way you decide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Europe has a population of about 500 million people, thousands of airports and countless railways stations. I think that puts the odds at about two million to one of being caught up in a terrorist attack. We are still flying to Europe next Monday to start our 2016 Camino.

As FD Roosevelt said "So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyses needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

I have two reasons to encourage you to continue with your Camino:
Statistically as others have said terrorism is one of the most unlikely reasons you will come to any harm, a traffic accident is probably the most likely but that risk is no greater than at home.
By altering our behaviour we hand the terrorists a victory. I had a similar decision to you just after the July bombings in London in 2005 and it only made me more determined to go ahead.

Several thousand passengers at the Brussels airport and metro were not casualties even though they were at the target. As a percentage of travelers in European airports and subways, the casualties were smaller than the highway casualties. Vigilance is useful, but panic is not. Terrorism is a percentage game which you will win far more often than you will win the lottery. You lose 100% of the time if you give into the terrorists goal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Airtransat from Toronto to Oporto Portugal.

Tram from OPO to Porto Campanha station.

CP train from Porto to Vigo Spain.

Renfe train from Vigo to Irun/Hendaye

Metro Donostealdea train from Irun to Hendaye (3km) (if your renfe train doesn't terminate in Hendaye)

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne

SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP

It may seem inconvenient to go from Porto to SJPdP however, its a lot more convenient to go from Santiago to Porto at the end of your walk than it is to go from Santiago to somewhere else such as Paris.

Otherwise SJPdP is connected by bus to Pamplona and by train to Bayonne. There are good rail bus and air connections to Bayonne and Pamplona from several major European centers including Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, and London. We can give you greater detail once you decide where you are going to enter Europe.
@whariwharangi , why such a convoluded way? Toronto-Pairs, Paris-Biarritz and then bus/train to Henday and then on to St-Jean, no?

You showed me very clearly a few days ago what a nightmare getting back to Porto from Santiago is. So I booked my return flight to Canada, with Airtransat, from Madrid. Easy peasy.

This is how I deal with terror (or try to - especially when flying, totally irrational fear). I say to myself :

Totally mindblowing that I am here at all, in this place, at this time. With the vastness of the cosmos around me, the aeons of years behind me, the infinity of time in the future, I am but a mote of dust. Life is full of risk but what a miracle it is! How can I not honour my Creator in gratitude, and live it to the full?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Terluna and @whariwharangi, this might be similarly complicated but I thought I would offer it anyway. How about the route train Porto to Lisbon, Trenhotel (overnight train) to Madrid, then fast train to Pamplona and on to SJPdP?

Why is everyone intent on having the OP fly to Porto?

Europe has a population of about 500 million people, thousands of airports and countless railways stations. I think that puts the odds at about two million to one of being caught up in a terrorist attack. We are still flying to Europe next Monday to start our 2016 Camino.

Hello all. Please ignore any posting mistakes I may make - new at this!

Thank you all for your support and advice.

I have decided to fly out on May 2 from Toronto to Biarritz (1 stop in Paris) take the train to SJPP.

I want to travel to Finisterre and Muxia as well before coming home - probably June 30th.

BUEN CAMINO!! #~%%<^> the terrorists!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello all, ink from Canada here. Planning on beginning Camino Frances first week of May.

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole

Nicole:

Fly in and out of Madrid. Train or bus to Pamplona from Madrid airport. Take a bus or cab with other Pilgrims to SJPdP from Pamplona. You could also make arrangements with Corazonpuro.es to pick you up in Pamplona put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP the next day.

IMO, it makes no sense to fly into Porto unless you are walking the Portuguese route. You can easily get back to Madrid from Santiago by bus, train or plane.

The way I would address the terrorism question is, Why would I let a few zealots ruin my plans?

Ultreya,
Joe

My travel plan is flying with Air Canada from Vancouver - Toronto - Newark - Madrid.
I'm assuming that is Newark, New Jersey......? At the risk of being a killjoy, do you have, or have you considered, medical coverage for your transit through the US while en route to Madrid? I know people who will, at any cost, avoid flying through the US because of the medical coverage issue.

My travel plan is flying with Air Canada from Vancouver - Toronto - Newark - Madrid. Overnight in Madrid and then 7:30am train (Renfe) from Madrid to Pamplona and then a quick taxi ride from Pamplona to SJPDP arriving around noon. But many, many options exist. Try using skyscanner.net to search for flight options.
Wow that includes a couple of stop overs to get to Madrid . . . Was it an amazing deal ?
I fly out on April 1 to Madrid via Amsterdam, from Vancouver. The Amsterdam-Madrid ticket I purchased after booking the intercontinental one, total cost (return) about $1300 CAD.

Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The odds of anything happening to you are miniscule. The odds of it happening on camino even more miniscule. Fear is the goal, and for some reason it is achieved at a much higher rate in my native land (the USA) because we like to imagine we are immune (that is why 9/11 had the mental impact it had).

There is no logical reason for Brussels to prevent you from going. If anything, it should inspire you to go more.

This is how I deal with terror (or try to - especially when flying, totally irrational fear)
I really loved your approach to terror when it comes to terrorism, Kanga; I will remember it as I travel. For my irrational fear of flying, though, I find Xanax very helpful! My flights are much shorter than yours, though.

@whariwharangi , why such a convoluded way? Toronto-Pairs, Paris-Biarritz and then bus/train to Henday and then on to St-Jean, no?

You showed me very clearly a few days ago what a nightmare getting back to Porto from Santiago is. So I booked my return flight to Canada, with Airtransat, from Madrid. Easy peasy.

Nightmare? Hardly. Perhaps it was the surfeit of options that made it seem so?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Terluna and @whariwharangi, this might be similarly complicated but I thought I would offer it anyway. How about the route train Porto to Lisbon, Trenhotel (overnight train) to Madrid, then fast train to Pamplona and on to SJPdP?

I'm not sure how well I would sleep on a train. Otherwise this is a good option. Assuming of course that flying into Oporto or Lisboa works out.

In the immortal words of American satirical comic book "star" Alfred E. Neumann, "Mad Magazine," "WHAT ME WORRY...?"

This publication was HUGE in the 1960s, then shrank to near obscurity. I am not even sure if it is still published. But Alfred's goofy face, and this slogan, still appear on t-shirts from time to time.

But, more on point, Spain is statistically a VERY safe country, including from terrorism. Interestingly, in an article I read online earlier today, in combination with several European news outlets, whose stories I follow regularly, a correlation is easily drawn by the author (and by me) between the number of "bad operators" intent on terrorism or criminality in a country, and the relative level of social welfare payments in the particular "host" country.

The point is that the current stream of migrants are nearly-magnetically attracted to those European nations offering the highest and most generous "free" benefits. Conversely, the numbers and flow rates suggested that these migrants and the embedded bad people, actively avoid the "poorer" European nations.

The "so what" follow-up is that, there are Camino-host countries in Europe like Spain and Portugal (for example) with seriously ailing economies, who cannot provide adequately for their own disadvantaged, unemployed, or aged populations. Consequently, their ability to offer the more generous welfare program payments, as is generally the case in the UK, Scandinavia, and in many of the Western European nations, is impinged. As the author pointed out, and as I support, one result is that these countries attract fewer migrants generally, with the attendant embedded terrorists and criminals seeking to use this migratory stream as cover to get into a country and receive benefits, as they plan to do evil things to innocent people.

Using Belgium as the current example (for clear reasons) and looking at the number of reported "bad operators" to population: Spain has one-fourth the reported number of bad guys; Portugal has one-sixth the reported level of "bad operators" as does Belgium. The numbers for Ireland are similarly very small. Greece and Italy also have very small "resident" bad guys living there, as most of the migrant traffic is "just passing through" enroute to more Northern, and generous countries. As a result, accurate statistics are more difficult to identify for Greece and Italy.

Taken together, these countries were previously referred to over the past decade or more as the "PIIGS" (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain). As a group, they have also been referred to as the "poor cousins" of the EU. I believe this was largely a result of the state of their economies. I did not invent this. I am not embellishing, or taking this out of context. I am relating facts as I have seen them in print.

NOTE: I tried to be VERY careful in my choice of words. Moderators, please note this. I was trying to relate the information I learned, without being inflammatory, though the Lord knows that would be very easy to do right now. Thank you for your consideration.

Bottom line, Spain is very safe. See you on Camino. I leave for Madrid in 10 days. Yippee!

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am from the east coast of Canada, and did my camino several years ago. I flew to Toronto for a nonstop Air Canada flight to Madrid. If you are not entirely committed to starting at SJPP then a lovely train trip to Pamplona and the bus up to Roncesville is another way to start your camino. The scenery is wonderful.

I'm assuming that is Newark, New Jersey......? At the risk of being a killjoy, do you have, or have you considered, medical coverage for your transit through the US while en route to Madrid? I know people who will, at any cost, avoid flying through the US because of the medical coverage issue.
Wouldn't the same insurance for Spain work?

Hello Terluna,
I'm working 4km from Brussels airport and going to work every day.
The badboys that attacked Paris had a safehouse nearby where I live (about 10km).
We are shocked, but we know we have to continue what we did before.:eek:
The best way is to start doing what you did before and not to worry "much", because otherwise they met their goals!
Just remember: Enjoy you life:)
Buen Camino;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I have decided to fly out on May 2 from Toronto to Biarritz (1 stop in Paris) take the train to SJPP.

I want to travel to Finisterre and Muxia as well before coming home - probably June 30th.

Good choice ;)

I'm planning to fly from Brussels South (Charleroi) to Biarritz & trains to SJPDP next year, but will return Porto to Brussels South.
Was never in Portugal before and so another motivation to finish all the way :cool:
I also want some couple of days in between to settle before going back:)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wouldn't the same insurance for Spain work?
It might for other countries, but when I've bought travel insurance here in Canada, there always seems to be a question of whether or not the countries to be visited include the United States. That raises for me the possibility that there might be a difference. :)

I've had to travel through and around attacks and seem to have a habit of being in places just before attacks or rebellions or riots. Main thing is to just be aware of what's happening around you but you can't let terrorists keep you in fear. Other thing I would mention is Camino is usually very friendly, at least much more open than almost anywhere else I have been. Feel much safer on that walk than almost anywhere else.

There more chance of dying crossing from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in bad weather than there is of being killed by a terrorist anywhere you are likely to travel.
Don't sweat it. It's an irrational fear.
Now the wolves, poisonous snakes and wild boar on the Camino? That's a real danger....:D
cheers

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Saw a meme today from groups protecting sharks. Shows that sharks and wolves kill 10 people a year, humans 425 000! But of course the big killer is the mosquito with Malaria.

Good choice. Thats what we are doing (leaving April 11th). And you now have the correct attitude towards the terrorists!

This is how I deal with terror (or try to - especially when flying, totally irrational fear). I say to myself :

Totally mindblowing that I am here at all, in this place, at this time. With the vastness of the cosmos around me, the aeons of years behind me, the infinity of time in the future, I am but a mote of dust. Life is full of risk but what a miracle it is! How can I not honour my Creator in gratitude, and live it to the full?
I so very much enjoy your postings, your advice, your view of the world. Thank you, Kanga.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
Hello Nicole, Congrats on wanting to do the Camino Santiago. You will have a great time and walk away with some wonderful memories. When arriving in Pamplona, I took a cab to St. Jean (best $90 I ever spent) and arrived in a little over an hour. I will be doing Camino II in September. Enjoy yourself.

I agree that the chance of being a terrorist victim are very remote. This will not stop my Camino.

Yes, I expect that air travel will become much more of a hassle. How am I going to deal with that aspect? I will get to all airports extra early, train stations as well. I will go through security as quickly as possible. I am going to go either with checked luggage or shipping some of my stuff to my hotel, where I will meet it.

How am I going to deal with the potential for terrorism striking where I am at on my trip through airports and cities?

I am an old-school, always be prepared kind of outdoors person. My bike kit includes a small first aid kit. The reason is there are bike accidents and car-bike accidents. I may be in one or stumble across one and want to be prepared.

I have recently added to it a new blood clotting bandage because they have an expiration date. I also have a military grade wound bandage in my first aid kit. When my youngest son saw my first aid kit a few years ago, he was amazed and said some of those bandages and stuff are used for gunshot wounds. I said yes. My first aid kit will be part of my carry on baggage. Hopefully, it will not be needed, but it will be available should it.

Most of the self defense and survival courses I have been part of, stress situational awareness. In fact a recent wilderness avalanche course I attended, actually said situational awareness of the group's actions was as or more important than snow conditions. They then showed a statistical analysis of recent avalanche deaths and the principal causes.

Situational awareness means being "actively" aware of your surroundings, being aware of exists and how to get away from trouble should it appear. It also means looking for things that are just "out of the normal" and then thinking about what they could mean as opposed to ignoring them and then looking at them again to find out what is really happening. There is this thing called an OODA loop that is worth thinking about.

Any pilgrim should try to maintain some heightened situational awareness. Will I be caught in a rainstorm between villages, will that slippery downhill stretch of trail or pavement be potentially dangerous to a fall, will this stream be safe to cross, will I need to detour around this blockage in the trail as opposed to scramble over it, will those large farm animals on the trail be a danger? As a pilgrim, I want to open my mind and heart to be more observant, which should help me better experience my Camino. Why should walking through an airport or a town along the Camino cause your brain to shut down?

I am not going to fixate on terrorists as they are a small probability event. For my Camino, I am more worried about car/truck accidents at places where the Way crosses major roads and slippery stretches of trail & road. You don't have to be paranoid to be prepared.

Kind of cheesy, but a quick summary http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/02/05/how-to-develop-the-situational-awareness-of-jason-bourne/

And the griffon vultures. :eek:

Hey now I remember one day we came around a corner and there was an ostrich all up in our faces (behind a gate) screeching at us :eek:

€83,-
I agree that the chance of being a terrorist victim are very remote. This will not stop my Camino.

Yes, I expect that air travel will become much more of a hassle. How am I going to deal with that aspect? I will get to all airports extra early, train stations as well. I will go through security as quickly as possible. I am going to go either with checked luggage or shipping some of my stuff to my hotel, where I will meet it.

How am I going to deal with the potential for terrorism striking where I am at on my trip through airports and cities?

I am an old-school, always be prepared kind of outdoors person. My bike kit includes a small first aid kit. The reason is there are bike accidents and car-bike accidents. I may be in one or stumble across one and want to be prepared.

I have recently added to it a new blood clotting bandage because they have an expiration date. I also have a military grade wound bandage in my first aid kit. When my youngest son saw my first aid kit a few years ago, he was amazed and said some of those bandages and stuff are used for gunshot wounds. I said yes. My first aid kit will be part of my carry on baggage. Hopefully, it will not be needed, but it will be available should it.

Most of the self defense and survival courses I have been part of, stress situational awareness. In fact a recent wilderness avalanche course I attended, actually said situational awareness of the group's actions was as or more important than snow conditions. They then showed a statistical analysis of recent avalanche deaths and the principal causes.

Situational awareness means being "actively" aware of your surroundings, being aware of exists and how to get away from trouble should it appear. It also means looking for things that are just "out of the normal" and then thinking about what they could mean as opposed to ignoring them and then looking at them again to find out what is really happening. There is this thing called an OODA loop that is worth thinking about.

Any pilgrim should try to maintain some heightened situational awareness. Will I be caught in a rainstorm between villages, will that slippery downhill stretch of trail or pavement be potentially dangerous to a fall, will this stream be safe to cross, will I need to detour around this blockage in the trail as opposed to scramble over it, will those large farm animals on the trail be a danger? As a pilgrim, I want to open my mind and heart to be more observant, which should help me better experience my Camino. Why should walking through an airport or a town along the Camino cause your brain to shut down?

I am not going to fixate on terrorists as they are a small probability event. For my Camino, I am more worried about car/truck accidents at places where the Way crosses major roads and slippery stretches of trail & road. You don't have to be paranoid to be prepared.

Kind of cheesy, but a quick summary http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/02/05/how-to-develop-the-situational-awareness-of-jason-bourne/

As a person with exposure to, and experience with, the world of both firefighting and policing your comments ring very true.

"Avoid tunnel vision" . . . (unless you are actually walking through one, then look at the light at the end of the tunnel, which funnily enough can then again be reverted to the expression "there is light at the end of the tunnel", accompanied by "the cup is half full, not half empty", etc. etc.)

Cheers and Buen Camino !

And by the way, nothing wrong with being from the 'old school' . . .

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
I have had 2 careers, both requiring a uniform and exposure to potential danger as well as in my face danger. I never gave it much thought until the day I retired and my wife, bless her, told me that every time I left home she was afraid I would not come back. 30 plus years is a long time to be afraid and until that day she never said a word. I was very humbled.

So how to deal with fear. You can look your fear right in the eye until it blinks, or you can put your trust in God to protect you, or you can do both, or you could just stay home and never leave. Avoid travel to any unsafe destination but Europe is not a unsafe destination. You still need to pay attention to your surroundings. If it doesn't feel right or look right leave and report it. If you are blessed with the "bump of trouble" or "itch" you can't scratch or the "bell" only you can hear, listen. Buen Camino

Situational awareness means being "actively" aware of your surroundings, being aware of exists and how to get away from trouble should it appear. It also means looking for things that are just "out of the normal" and then thinking about what they could mean as opposed to ignoring them and then looking at them again to find out what is really happening.
I've long thought that intellegence was the ability to solve a problem and then I adjusted that to be intellegence was the ability to know that you have a problem or will have one. I'm now going back to my first definition and saying that **wisdom** is the ability to know that you have a problem or will have one.

Wow that includes a couple of stop overs to get to Madrid . . . Was it an amazing deal ?
I fly out on April 1 to Madrid via Amsterdam, from Vancouver. The Amsterdam-Madrid ticket I purchased after booking the intercontinental one, total cost (return) about $1300 CAD.

Buen Camino !
Hi @CanPete - No, not an exception price for the flights because I needed them to be one-way as I will fly back to Africa to go to work after I finish the Camino. The reason I picked this route was more because of the way it broke the flights up with a short layover in between each leg of 1-2 hours. I like to get off the plane to stretch my legs rather than do long hauls if I can manage to book things that way. Plus, flying into Madrid gives me the shortest possible transit time to SJPDP, around 4.5-5 hours from Atocha to downtown SJPDP. You're only a week away from Day 1 so wishing you a very Buen Camino and looking forward to hearing your updates so I know what to avoid!! Cheers, Jordon

€83,-

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
Hi Nicole
I was wondering when someone would post this topic.
I had book our flight the night before the terror attack.
Yup Toronto to Paris wouldn't you know. DOH!!
Had a lot doubts after finding out about the attacks the next day.
We cant let them win.
It's easy to say "carry on with life" and yes we must but do it with caution!
Answer to your question, I booked Toronto to Paris, Paris to Biarrtz
I have yet to book the remaining bus to Bayonne and train to SJPDP
Do it yourself online the Travel agents have same price less their fee.
Other might have other suggestion. I am open to suggestions also.
How many will change their flight from Paris?
Good Luck

You're certainly not a killjoy, @Icacos and yes, I do have worldwide medical insurance through my work but honestly, I spent 10 years working out of US ports and never once had an issue so I guess I've become pretty used to spending time with our southern cousins below the 49th!

Hi @CanPete - No, not an exception price for the flights because I needed them to be one-way as I will fly back to Africa to go to work after I finish the Camino. The reason I picked this route was more because of the way it broke the flights up with a short layover in between each leg of 1-2 hours. I like to get off the plane to stretch my legs rather than do long hauls if I can manage to book things that way. Plus, flying into Madrid gives me the shortest possible transit time to SJPDP, around 4.5-5 hours from Atocha to downtown SJPDP. You're only a week away from Day 1 so wishing you a very Buen Camino and looking forward to hearing your updates so I know what to avoid!! Cheers, Jordon
VdlP for me . . . Same to you, have a blast ! Buen Camino !

Hey now I remember one day we came around a corner and there was an ostrich all up in our faces (behind a gate) screeching at us :eek:
Now, an ostrich is a beast that would unsettle me. I would give it a wide berth.....that and the emus in Australia. Those beaks are just too close to eye level. :eek:

Don't let Fear stop you Nicole. You'll be on the safety of the Camino before you know it, and terrorism will be the furthest thing from your mind you'll be having so much fun and meeting really cool people. But I understand with the recent attacks in Belgium, and Europe on hightened alert, it can be scary thinking about it. I live in New York, and flew the week after 9/11. In a way, security is going to be so tight, it's probably the safest time to travel. Bien Camino!

It's healthy to be a concerned and cautious traveler. You should be prepared and take precautions. If you absolutely feel that it's too dangerous to go, then go with your instincts. You can plan another pilgrimage at another time. If you decide to go, then register with the Canadian Embassy so they can notify you if need be as well as contact a family member in case of an emergency. Look into a travel insurance policy which covers terrorism and offers assistance in case you need medical care. Be prepared and know your destination(s). Look at maps and be familiar with your surroundings. It will give you peace of mind.

Safe travels,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
Unfortunately, it is potentially everywhere including here in Canada as we tragically learned; three dead soldiers, our own parliament building stormed by a gunman and a number of foiled plots to blow things up. I'm headed to Europe this year as well without hesitation. At least they are all on high alert. From TO or Montreal it is easy to get a direct flight to Paris. It is nice to get there in the early AM to give yourself a full wake up day, some touring if you want, a good sleep and then catch the train to SJPDP via Bayonne. It's an simply organized nice journey. In Bayonne you just get off the train and walk to the platform listed for SJPDP and wait for it to show up. Unless the schedule has changed that train gets in to SJPDP too late to start walking so you will want to spend at least one night there. It's a charming town. We reserved a room ahead of arrival. EuroRail Canada can help you with schedules if you want to book ahead.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think I am more afraid of Toronto during commute time than terrorism - I'm still going to Toronto on Monday though ;)
Not to make light of the recent terrorist attacks or your fears, but really - purely based on risk - we are much more at risk of death and injury in our daily lives than from terrorism while traveling. Of course, fear is not rational, but rational thinking does help keep the fear at bay.

It might do well to remember why the Camino De Santiago exists. Why the Knights Templar existed on the CDS, and some say still exist. The Camino is paved with the blood and bones of those who would use terror to persecute those of a different religion, and those who would stand against such persecution. Embrace it, appreciate where you fit in and the sacrifice that was made so you can walk the Camino today fearlessly.

As an epidemiologist, I would say that your risk of dying from food poisoning before you leave on your trip is much more likely than dying in a terrorist attack. I rode my motorcycle alone through Mexico and everybody worried about me being killed by the drug cartels. I told them the real risk was the potholes, rocks and bad drivers on the road!

It might do well to remember why the Camino De Santiago exists. Why the Knights Templar existed on the CDS, and some say still exist. The Camino is paved with the blood and bones of those who would use terror to persecute those of a different religion, and those who would stand against such persecution. Embrace it, appreciate where you fit in and the sacrifice that was made so you can walk the Camino today fearlessly.

Well put!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Terluna,
I'm working 4km from Brussels airport and going to work every day.
The badboys that attacked Paris had a safehouse nearby where I live (about 10km).
We are shocked, but we know we have to continue what we did before.:eek:
The best way is to start doing what you did before and not to worry "much", because otherwise they met their goals!
Just remember: Enjoy you life:)
Buen Camino;)

Thank you for this!!!

You are all so wonderful, positive, wise and hilarious. The cows comments got me. I truly appreciate all of the advice and feel like I have already met my Camino family!

I am proud to report that the flight has been booked. A bit has changed but not much. Flying March 9th from Toronto directly to Paris France CDG. Taking the train to St. Jean Pied de Port.

Going to Finisterre for sure and heading home June 30th.

While I am facing my fears head on - I even picked a window seat!!!!

Again - thank you thank you thank you,

Terluna!!

You are all so wonderful, positive, wise and hilarious. The cows comments got me. I truly appreciate all of the advice and feel like I have already met my Camino family!

I am proud to report that the flight has been booked. A bit has changed but not much. Flying March 9th from Toronto directly to Paris France CDG. Taking the train to St. Jean Pied de Port.

Going to Finisterre for sure and heading home June 30th.

While I am facing my fears head on - I even picked a window seat!!!!

Again - thank you thank you thank you,

Terluna!!
Surely you cannot be thank me! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
My friend and I are flying into Madrid on April 4th, spending the night then heading to Pamplona the next morning. Did you buy your train ticket ahead of time or getting it when you get there?
Feeling nervous, but working thru it. Thanks for your input.

Hi,
My friend and I are flying into Madrid on April 4th, spending the night then heading to Pamplona the next morning. Did you buy your train ticket ahead of time or getting it when you get there?
Hi Kathy - I bought online through the Renfe website. It's a bit of a drag to use their website, especially to find schedules but if you stick with it you'll find what you need! The most straight-forward way I found was to use Atocha as my departure point within Madrid then was pretty easy to find the time options to head to Pamplona.

Don't be nervous! If you keep plans simple it pretty easy to move around. You'll certainly see plans from others who have been numerous times and have figured out all the local transit options but if you just have a taxi pick you up at the hotel and deliver you to the door of the train station, those extra euros spent will give a great peace of mind. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi,

Petrabax is Renfe sale point in USA. Sometimes there are savings to be had on tickets purchased in advance. On one hand, with reservations there are no concerns about whether the train will be full. On the other hand, reservations remove flexibility. There are anecdotal reports of long lines at the ticket counter (while the automated ticket machines go unused).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There more chance of dying crossing from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in bad weather than there is of being killed by a terrorist anywhere you are likely to travel.
Don't sweat it. It's an irrational fear.
Now the wolves, poisonous snakes and wild boar on the Camino? That's a real danger....:D
cheers
and the chupacabras hehe:D

All kidding aside, I don't recall seeing any wildlife on the Camino

begging the moderators pardon as I veer off track...
a couple of snakes (no pictures, too busy avoiding) and then, in the first image if you look very closely, a wild boar enroute to Calzadzilla de la Cueza and in the second, a delightful and inquisitive very green local just before the cross and descent into Astorga

Attachments

• D021_017.JPG
    D021_017.JPG
    550.1 KB · Views: 25
  • D029_0044.JPG
    D029_0044.JPG
    957.5 KB · Views: 25
I did see deer one chilly and foggy morning in Galicia. At one private albergue which was the home where the hospitalero and his wife lived, I asked about the local deer population and he (the hospitalero) went to his refrigerator and brought out some homemade venison chorizo and cut me off a big slice to try. Pretty good stuff. Saw a lot of vultures, including the big griffon species the first day out between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. Didn't see any of the wild boar, but apparently there are quite a few in Spain. Frequently saw the mounted heads in bars and restaurants around Galicia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have two, I think, helpful points to make regarding travel insurance and first-aid supplies: (This post could be in multiple forums)

TRAVEL INSURANCE - I always buy trip insurance, including medical cover from my airline. Among other things air travel related, the medical cover includes medical air evacuation back to home if need be, as well as reimbursements for local emergency treatment. Also, hiking is not the same as mountaineering, so as hiking is walking, albeit with a rucksack, for insurance purposes, and is considered walking. Walking is a covered activity. Point made.

CLOTTING POWDER - A worthwhile thing to carry IMHO. Originally developed by the military medical establishment to stop profuse bleeding in combat wounds that simple compression will not stop, it is now available commercially. Outdoor and para-military vendors usually supply a larger capacity packet, intended to use for gunshot or traumatic wound treatment. However, more recently smaller packets have shown up on your local pharmacy shelves.

One product, called "Wound Seal" provides four (4) tiny packets intended to clot small surface wounds that a plaster (band-aid) will not stop bleeding using compression principles. Generally this could be a deep gash or puncture wound that would require sutures to close properly. For a larger wound, you can use more of the packets.

I now include one "Wound Seal" kit of four (4) single-use packets in my Camino First Aid kit. The all-in weight, including the small plastic box, and Spanish / English instructions weighs 19 grams or 0.7 ounces. I think this is a lot of insurance for slight weight. BTW - the expiry life is about 2.5 years and is marked on each packet.

I hope this helps.

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
Have a look in the thread 'my mom is freaking out'. There is not what I would term 'unrest' in Europe. Between Paris and Brussels there have been at least 3 attacks in Turkey and a number in Africa that you never hear of. There are regular killings in Israel by both Palestinians and the IDF. Just down the road from you there are in the region of 50,000 killings a year by Americans to Americans. Europe is by comparison, quite peaceful and the camino is peace personified. If however Paris still frightens you fly to London then to Biarritz. Return from Santiago to Dublin then home. Personally, I will have made 4 flights in Europe before flying out again in September to do the camino again. Always remember the story of Chicken Licken and the sky that did not fall, it was just an apple falling from a tree :)

You probably go to the States in occasion. I can't think of a place on the Camino more dangerous than a typical city down here!

€83,-
begging the moderators pardon as I veer off track...
a couple of snakes (no pictures, too busy avoiding) and then, in the first image if you look very closely, a wild boar enroute to Calzadzilla de la Cueza and in the second, a delightful and inquisitive very green local just before the cross and descent into Astorga
Oh my. Had no idea that there were wild boars there. We are having a problem with feral hogs inside the city limits of Dallas, Texas. They are causing considerable damage to our parks rutting up the ground

You probably go to the States in occasion. I can't think of a place on the Camino more dangerous than a typical city down here!
Exactly!!! And I'm from the States;-) I live in a very safe place, but just a two-hour drive from here is Oakland, one of the least safe places in California.

Fear not, or they have won!

Oh my. Had no idea that there were wild boars there. We are having a problem with feral hogs inside the city limits of Dallas, Texas. They are causing considerable damage to our parks rutting up the ground

Here in New Mexico (USA) we have cute little javalinas.

It's cool how this thread as morphed into a more pleasant subject. Hope Nicole doesn't mind. This is an except (see signature line):
"Though we had seen many signs delineating private hunting grounds (privado de caza), we saw very little in the way of wildlife during our time in Spain. Though, I did have a rare sighting of a badger that morning. Yes, a badger! Now, I’ve only seen one other badger in the wild, not far from my home in California—nearly 40 years ago. So seeing that one, in the oak forest west of Belorado and just above the tiny hamlet of Villafranca Montes de Oca, was extraordinary."

€149,-
You guys again are hilarious!!! Have another question though - thinking of taking train from Compestela to Frankfurt - but the Eurorail doesn't seem to go from there to Frankfurt.

Any ideas?

You guys again are hilarious!!! Have another question though - thinking of taking train from Compestela to Frankfurt - but the Eurorail doesn't seem to go from there to Frankfurt.

Any ideas?

Take the train from SdC to Paris and the TGV train to Frankfurt. Total journey roughly 24 hours. See www.Rome2Rio.com for more info.

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole

We all should be afraid of terrorist attacks. It's irresponsible to quote figures. I will be on Camino in 7 days time but I am worried. I think all pilgrims should be worried . Buen Camino

We are having a problem with feral hogs inside the city limits of Dallas, Texas.
I passed a road kill boar of about 250 pounds next to the road on the Camino Sanabres near A Laxes. They are out there!

We all should be afraid of terrorist attacks. It's irresponsible to quote figures. I will be on Camino in 7 days time but I am worried. I think all pilgrims should be worried . Buen Camino

We're all afraid of terrorists attacks, that is what they're for, instill terror! Cowardly attacks against defenseless civilians.
I think what everyone is saying here is...we still have to carry on with our lives or they have won.
What is the alternative? We don't travel any more? We don't take public transport to work? We don't go to concerts? We don't have a drink with family and friends on a cafe terrasse?

The other point is that we all lead dangerous lives: cars are dangerous, the weather is also full of danger (hurricanes, storms, lightning, floods...), diseases aren't great either....
Etc etc etc.

So my take in this is, considering the odds, dying in a terrorist attack is possible, yes but far less likely than my dying in a car crash 5 min away from my home.

Sorry for the rant :oops: and buen camino to all :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My worry only extends to anything is possible, other than that I go on living without anything fazing me. Make every moment count. Buen camino

€60,-

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
When a big journey lies ahead, it's understandable to have these fears pop up and try to take hold. It's part of our lives. Think about all the things you COULD worry about if you wanted to: planes, trains, cars, lightening, falling trees, and the list goes on. Terrorism is certainly in the news and not going away, but your concerns will not change that. Be vigilant about your surroundings. And....live your life to the fullest! Buen Camino, Nicole. Don't let anything dampen your excitement for your amazing adventure.
SimiK

I'm not sure how well I would sleep on a train. Otherwise this is a good option. Assuming of course that flying into Oporto or Lisboa works out.

I have used the overnight Lisbon - Madrid train. Can't recommend it! It travels slowly and very jerkily. As you sleep at right angles to direction of travel, you are rolled back and forth. You arrive in Madrid Chamartin at dawn.

Any ideas would help

Thank you

Nicole
Regarding travel, I found it cheapest and fastest to get a multicity/open jaw ticket from Smartfares or Cheapoair or Webjet from Toronto to San Sebastian and return from Compostela to Toronto. After arriving in San Sebastian walk (about a mile or two) through Irun to Hendaye or catch taxi (20 Euros) to Hedaye and then train (9:30 am and 5:30 pm) to SJPDP. If you have time you can go earlier from Hendaye to Bayonne by train, and take a look around and then catch the train to Hedaye to SJPDP.

I`d be more worried about our corrupt governments and the Corporations that are taking over our world!
Maybe see you on the walk as I arrive at St Jean Pied de Port on the 6th May with my daughter and start to walk around the 7th .

I'll have you know I have a very unhealthy fear of cows! I like them to be well fenced in... walking through fields of them takes every ounce of my courage... and I have a feeling it's going to be tested on the VDLP:eek::confused:
On VdlP, you don't only have cows but also bulls, big black pigs, horses and especially dogs....

I just hope that if I encounter a wild boar on the Camino, it is not anything like the wild boar I read about, years ago, in Colleen McCullough's book, The Thornbirds. :eek::eek:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Trenhotel from Lisbon to Madrid is pretty cool. We took it a few years ago and really enjoyed it, especially nice because it leaves around bed time (22oo or so) and arrives in Madrid first thing in the morning. We slept beautifully. They serve first rate cafe' con leche with breakfast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back