• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay and Le Puy routes

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
I've noticed that very many pilgrims turn south from the Vezelay route at some point between Vezelay and Limoges and make their way to join the Le Puy route.
Can anyone tell me what the advantages are of doing that? If we did that what route could we take?
We will be on bikes - does the scenery make up for the hills?!!

many thanks
Bridget

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met a Dutch woman who had walked from home who did exactly that, and she did it for reasons of scenery: I know the scenery between Le Puy and Conques is especially beautiful. She walked cross-country though, up and down some very steep hills/mountains between Vezelay and Le Puy, so I am not sure how you would bike that way...
Margaret

Bridget,

Directly after leaving Vezelay you do not follow the Gr654 direction Nevers (south-west) but you follow the GR13 who is heading south through the beautiful Morvan-region to Le Puy. I remember that you have to follow the Gr3 after Bourbon-Lancy.
Beautiful landscape, hilly and long stretches without shops,bars etc. But far more nice than the Nevers/limoges-route.(IMHO)

Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
She walked cross-country though, up and down some very steep hills/mountains between Vezelay and Le Puy, so I am not sure how you would bike that way...

Paulus - our bikes (and ourselves) are not really up to tracks up and down steep hills -do you think we would be able to find minor roads to follow reasonably close to the GR13 (without the distance adding bends which GR routes tend to have)?

Bridget and Peter said:
Paulus - our bikes (and ourselves) are not really up to tracks up and down steep hills -do you think we would be able to find minor roads to follow reasonably close to the GR13 (without the distance adding bends which GR routes tend to have)?

Yes, that is really possible: you can stay close to the Gr13 with your bike and some stretches follow the Gr13! but........... is still hard working on the bike in that landscape! Besides you need a good detailed map of the whole stretch and that means 5 or 6 maps you have to buy.
I'll did rather walk !!
The Never-option is a much easier option for bikers.
Good luck!
Paul

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back