• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay Camino October 2020 - Recommendation Request

Sara_Dhooma

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Hello!

I've had a number of hiccups with flight cancels & reschedules from Toronto, but it looks like I will finally be arriving in Paris on Thursday Oct 1st at 1:00pm! After some hiking pole shopping and taking a few trains/buses, I hope to arrive in Vezelay before the Centre Sainte-Madeleine closes registration for a bed at 9pm.

On Friday morning I'll be super tired and jet-lagged 😴 but I don't want to miss morning mass in the Basilica. The first stage is normally to Athien (25 km). I'm really out of shape and was wondering how strenous the path will be. If it is tough would it be better to break up the first stage into two days? There is a gite open at km7.5 and maybe an option for home hospitality at km11
Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Also, if anyone other recommended 'don't miss' places like restaurants, historical sites, accomodations, amazing places to tent etc. on the way to Spain - please let me know to add to my list! ⭐

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Saint Astier Market in a Thursday morning... and me :D

There are two ways from Perigueux (one goes through St Astier) ... but whichever route you take I would love to meet up... you'd be very welcome to stay... I can collect you from whereever you finish and drop you back in the same spot (I'm only a few kms from the trail)

Hello!

I've had a number of hiccups with flight cancels & reschedules from Toronto, but it looks like I will finally be arriving in Paris on Thursday Oct 1st at 1:00pm! After some hiking pole shopping and taking a few trains/buses, I hope to arrive in Vezelay before the Centre Sainte-Madeleine closes registration for a bed at 9pm.

On Friday morning I'll be super tired and jet-lagged 😴 but I don't want to miss morning mass in the Basilica. The first stage is normally to Athien (25 km). I'm really out of shape and was wondering how strenous the path will be. If it is tough would it be better to break up the first stage into two days? There is a gite open at km7.5 and maybe an option for home hospitality at km11

Also, if anyone other recommended 'don't miss' places like restaurants, historical sites, accomodations, amazing places to tent etc. on the way to Spain - please let me know to add to my list! ⭐
Hi Sara
L'esprit du chemin in Athien have a great website under that name which gives excellent information on this Camino .The owners used to have a gîte of the same name in St Jean Pied de Port.
I have stayed in their fabulous gîte in Athien.Their website includes information on accommodation along this route during the
current situation.I am sure if you emailed them they would , perhaps be able to give you the most up to date information.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sara
L'esprit du chemin in Athien have a great website under that name which gives excellent information on this Camino .The owners used to have a gîte of the same name in St Jean Pied de Port.
I have stayed in their fabulous gîte in Athien.Their website includes information on accommodation along this route during the
current situation.I am sure if you emailed them they would , perhaps be able to give you the most up to date information.
Sara ,a girl of your capabilities should have no difficulty with this first stage or any other on the Vézelay route.You may not meet many pilgrims as it is less frequented than for example the way from Le Puy en Velay.
I have always enjoyed keeping up to date with your many adventures 🙂 on the Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!

Looking forward to following your adventures on the «Voie de Vezelay» ... bon chemin et ultreïa 👣👣👣🙏

Hello!

Hello sara
I stayed at l’esprit du Chemin (Anthiers) back in June 2017 and it’s great. Recommend it. Dutch owners I think, lovely garden, very friendly. That was my second night after setting out on 21st after blessing in Basilica and catching the Chemin de lumiere in the afternoon. I stayed at an auberge in Bazoches on my first night after that, about 10-12k from Vezelay if I remember well, and I was suffering from heat exhaustion, so it was a welcome stopover. I couldn’t have managed 25k on my first day and I now know that it’s worth building up to a longer stretch unless you’re quite fit. Take your time and allow the route to get under your skin, not wreck your feet. It’s not a race, after all. Bon Chemin! William

Hello!

Bon chemin, Sara!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bon courage, Sara! Happy trails!
...if you are in need of a diversion or wish to avoid bigger towns along le Voie de Vézelay, there is a pleasant variant-trail (GR 654E) running from Bergerac to Montréal-du-Gers through Le Lot-et-Garonne (one heads towards Bergerac after Perigeux). Some of the gîtes de pélerin along the GR 654E were open this summer and in most villages I found a friendly helper at la pharmacie, le presbytère or la Mairie .

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Carte Bergerac Montreal-03-03-03-03.png

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Saint Astier Market in a Thursday morning... and me :D

There are two ways from Perigueux (one goes through St Astier) ... but whichever route you take I would love to meet up... you'd be very welcome to stay... I can collect you from whereever you finish and drop you back in the same spot (I'm only a few kms from the trail)

🥰 You are the best!!!! Thank you for your hospitality and I'm sure we are going to have fun! :)

Glad to know you are out there once again, and looking forward to your youtubes. Are you walking up to the spanish border? Hoping to cross it? Best wishes and buen camino all along your journey, Sara.

Yes, I am hoping that the path will be clear all the way to Santiago. When I arrive in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port I will assess the best route to bring me into Galicia.

I am walking on behalf of my dear friend David Xiao who passed away this summer during a climbing accident. It is my wish to obtain a Compostela in his memory to send to his parents. An Article about David Xiao's Passing

Cheers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello!

So jealous we also live in Toronto and we were planning to walk from Cluny to Le Puys, Le Puys to SJPP April past, hopefully 2021. We looked at the Vezelay route having visited the town - it was so beautiful...i believe the church there is where Richard the Lionheart started his crusade. Anyway enjoy should be spectacular!!

Hello!

Hope to see you on the Tuesday Zoom

Hi Sara
There wasn’t a mass when we went last year, but a Laudes service, a singing service. Afterwards one of the priests gave us a blessing to start our Chemin.
Go to the Pilgrim office for your first stamp, it is staffed by a dedicated pilgrim who is referred to in the village as The German.
There’s also a small wine display shop where you can sample (for free) the local wines.
We got a good evening meal at the Chevalier Blanc restaurant, next door to the Le Compostelle hotel. We stayed at the Le Compostelle and they did a panier picnique, which was essential. The walk to Anthien was great, not to strenuous.
Lastly, when you leave in the morning, the departure point for northern or southern variant is just outside the village, make sure you take the correct one!
Bon Chemin
John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kia Kaha Sara, your journey sounds fantastic. Definitely let the road set the pace, if you can relax the time.I hope it's not too long before I can trace your footsteps out there. Ultreia et Suseia.xo

Hello!

I finished the route last Saturday and am now on the Frances. I chose the Bourges (northern) route because I wanted to see the stained glass. Later I took the Bergerac variant as I know the area dye west of Périgueux. It proved a good choice as I met up again with others.

I did book accommodation some days ahead as private homes like advance notice especially for the meal option.

Cafés were few and far between. I tried to get a good midday meal.

All best! Ultreia!!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
How are you out there, Sara? We grandmothers get worried not getting a sign from you out there. Hope you enjoy your camino !

sorry!!!! Just adjusting back to Camino life off the internet. I’m back now.🙂
Thank you for your concern!!! ❤️

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back