• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay joining Chemin du Puy

gypsy9

Hello all,

I read in a post (somewhere?!) of the Vezelay Route joining Chemin du Puy.
Does this mean one walks from Vezelay to Le Puy (on a separate trail to traditional Vezelay Route-northern or southern)

Any info is greatly appreciated.
I am intending to begin in Auxerre and then onward to Vezelay.
From Vezelay...most likely northern way (via Bourges)
well, I am still in planning stage...so many amazing options.

My preference is to stay in simple gites along the way (with kitchen if possible)> rather than demi-pensione etc.
Also parish/monastery accommodation especially for pilgrims

Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all,

Does this mean one walks from Vezelay to Le Puy (on a separate trail to traditional Vezelay Route-northern or southern)....
Thank you.
Gypsy9,

You probably read this in the CSJ statement describing the Vezelay route. It states "The Fédération Française de la Randonnée Pedestre (FFRP) has published two Topoguides to the newly created GR654 (Namur in Belgium, through Vézelay, to Nevers; and Vèzelay - Montréal du Gers, where the route joins the le Puy route).

The GR654 is an alternative route from Vezelay. Following this alternative from Montreal du Gers onward the route is one to SJPdP. This joining of the two routes is similar to the the joining of the camino Argonese and the camino Frances at Puente La Reina in Navarra.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I met some people who had been walking the Vezelay route when I was on the Cluny route but I don't know the specifics of how they crossed over. There was also a route to Assisi that I think possibly even began in Vezelay, and then joined onto the Cluny route soon after it left Cluny- before going elsewhere. However, the Cluny route leads south to Le Puy once you are on it.
Last year a friend walked on the Vezelay route, then went to Rocamadour, before catching transport to link in with the Le Puy route further south. (It was his second Camino and he was combining a few routes.)
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Vezelay route joins the Le Puy route at Ostabat, one day before SJPdP. While there are gites d'etape along the Vezelay route, there are fewer than on Le Puy. Many accommodations are with a host in his home. Kitchens in gites may be sparse; one had only a microwave. Monasteries are rare, as are parish facilities.

Bonne route.

Hello all,

Does this mean one walks from Vezelay to Le Puy (on a separate trail to traditional Vezelay Route-northern or southern)

Any info is greatly appreciated.
I am intending to begin in Auxerre and then onward to Vezelay.
From Vezelay...most likely northern way (via Bourges)
well, I am still in planning stage...so many amazing options.

My preference is to stay in simple gites along the way (with kitchen if possible)> rather than demi-pensione etc.
Also parish/monastery accommodation especially for pilgrims

Thank you.
There is a route from Vezelay to Le Puy. It is part of the Trans-Europe long-distance path from Bulgaria to Portugal (Black Sea to the Atlantic) . I do not know whether it ranks as an official camino, but it does coincide with the French Grande Randonnee system so will be well waymarked.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back