• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay or Arle Route?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I am looking to walk either the Vezelay or Arles routes in July. I was hoping to walk part of the Via Francigena to Besancon with a towed cart to carry extra food and camping gear, but the cart option is not really viable for me after some trials. So now I am looking at other routes so I can walk with a small pack (9kg max, incl food).

Which route is better for daily stages of about 25km max? If anyone would be kind enough to share their daily stages I would be grateful.

Which route has better facilities for buying food each day? I prefer not to have to carry food for 2 days. I had to carry extra food a couple of times over weekends on the Le Puy route and the extra weight made a difference.

I am assuming water is equally available on both routes.

Regards

Bob M

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Miam Miam Dodo has a book on the Arles route, so you can get details on stages there.

Amis et Pelerins de Saint-Jacques de la voie de Vezelay has an excellent guide book in French:
1. Vezelay - Varzy - 35.3km
2. La Charite-sur-Loire - 44.7
3. Baugy - 30.3
4. Bourges - 29.0
5. Charost - 26.0
6. Issoudun - 13.0
7. Deols - 32.0
8. Velles - 20.2
9. Argenton - 21.3
10. Gargilesse - 13.0
11. Crozant - 19.0
12. La Souterraine - 24.5
13. Benevent l'Abbaye - 21.0
14. Chatelus le Marcheix - 18.5
15. Saint Leonard de Noblat - 29.5
16. Limoges - 21.5
17. Les Cars - 31.0
18. La Cozuille - 27.0
19. Thiviers - 18.5
20. Sorges - 17.5
21. Perigueux - 24.0
22. Saint Astier - 26.0
23. Mussidan - 24.0
24. Sainte Foy la Grande - 34.0
25. Pellegrue-Saint Ferme - 25.0
26. La Reole - 20.0
27. Bazas - 27.0
28. Captieux - 21.0
29. Roquefort - 33.0
30. Mont de Marsan - 31.1
31. Saint Sever - 21.4
32. Hagetmau - 17.0
33. Orthez - 28.2
34. Sauveterre de Bearn - 24.0
35. Saint-Palais - Ostabat - 26.0
36. Saint Jean Pied de Port - 21.5

There are intermediate stopping places in a few of the long stages. Gites are often only 4 beds. In many places you stay in homes, and need to call several days in advance to arrange the accommodations. Cooking facilities can be minimal.

I have walked the Arles route only from Toulouse. Descriptions are of a fairly tough route from Arles to Toulouse. From Toulouse, the Arles route is not too demanding until the Pyrenees. The Vezelay route is never particularly demanding except for the length of some of the stages. The food was excellent on both. Scenery-wise, Arles may be a bit better, but the Vezelay route is very woodsy.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back