Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Vezelay, or Brittany to Tours Route?

newfydog

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
Well, we leave in a week for our fourth Pilgrimage, Menton-Arles-Toulouse.

I always like to be planing the next trip before one is finished---it prevents the post trip let-down.

I think the next trip will be from Vezelay, or we might start up in Britanny and tie into the Paris-Tours SJPP route in the Cognac region. We have guidebooks for both, have seen tantalizing pieces of both, but I can't figure out which one should be next. Any thoughts?

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I haven't walked the Vezelay Route, which I believe is very beautiful.

I walked the Via Turonensis in 2004 - it is one of the oldest through France but is also the least popular. The year before I walked it only 44 pilgrims started there.
Why? Well, I think because it is SO flat, and there is quite a lot of road walking. Also, until you reach the south there are very few (if any) pilgrim albergues and hardly any Gites (because there are no real hiking trails on that route.)

There is an overview here: http://www.csj.org.uk/route-paris.htm

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/viaturonensis/

http://www.amis-st-jacques-tours.org/

Diary: http://viaturonensis.ifrance.com/

Stages: http://viaturonensis.ifrance.com/Etapes.htm

St Jean this end .........................................Paris here.

Attachments

• Via%20Touronensis%20profile.JPG
    Via%20Touronensis%20profile.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 864

giorgio

Past OR future Camino
CF(2000), Puy (03), VDLP(04), Arles(05), Paris/London(06), Norte(07),Vezelay(09), Levante(10),Madrid(13),CF(15),CF(16)
Not having walked the Tauronensis it's hard to answer your question...however we did walk from Vezelay last year so let me just say that it's a good itinerary with a rather good infrastructure for pilgrims (you can go thru this chapter of this forum to find out ). One special thing we experienced whenever we had a chance to do so was the hospitality offered by the Friends of the Chemin (generally former pilgrims) and this was the opportunity for great unforgettable evenings with a genuine pilgrim spirit ( the fact we speak french sure helped a lot, i should add )
This said Vezelay is a very solitary route thru a great peaceful countryside.
Anything else you need just ask
Giorgio and Elisa

Theo

Hi,

In this post (click Here), I gave yesterday some information about the Plantagenets Way and other routes in Brittany.

Feel free to ask me more information about Breton routes.

Théo

Past OR future Camino
Via De La Plata + Sanabres march-april 1050km 2015
Arles to Lodeve + Norte & Primitivo march-may 1250km 2016
Planning for Sureste and Torres march 2017
Hello
Last spring my wife and Via de la Plata and it was a fantastic experience. So in March / April 2016 we intend to go back . This time we want to go a little further and we are looking to start in St. Mathieu France and then continue onto Camino del Norte and Camino Primitivo . I have a hard time finding information about the route through France. Also looking for an English guidebook for this part of the walk . Tips are appreciated.

Buen Camino

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads