• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay: which route? - some questions

peterinhongkong

I'll walk to route from Vezelay to St Jean Pied de Port starting May 2010. Probably, like many people, I'm trying to decide which route to take, via Le Puy, or the GR654. I've walked the Le Puy to St Jean route before (lovely!) but not Vezelay to Le Puy. I'd welcome your comments on this section (accommodation, villages, etc) and the landcape of course. The idea of too many roads/concrete on the GR654 is a bit disheartening but if it's worth the trip, why not? I'd like some information to be able to make a comparison - and a decision. But Vezelay to Le Puy looks interesting.
Many thanks,
Peter

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have cycled the Voie de Vezelay from V as far as Mont de Marsan, where we went west towards the coast as we werre heading for the Norte, or coastal route in Spain. Our blog (not yet quite complete) will give some idea of the lovely things to see on that route -eg La Charitee sur Loire, Bourges, Benevent L'Abbaye, Limoges, Periguex and so forth if you are into cathedrals etc. WE loved it for being fairly quiet. In Spetember and October we were often the only ones in the very pleasant pilgrim gites.

See http://www.amis-saint-jacques-de-compos ... r/?lang=fr - THE french website for the V de V. The fat yellow guide shown on there is available from the CSJ - http://www.csj.org.uk/ and this route does not exactly follow the GR654 which tends not to take a direct route if there is one which goes round three sides of a square and up and down several steep hills.

Walking from Vezelay to Le Puy does sound enticing - wilder, hillier and remoter, I believe. These people did it last year: http://verylongwalks.blogspot.com/ and have especially beautiful photos. They chopped and changed a bit so you'll have to concentrate to get the gist of what they did. But once you have got to Le Puy you'll be covering ground you have already done.

let us know what you decide, and if you would like any info about the Vezelay route we have the yellow guide and maps so might be able to answer questions.

Bridget & Peter----

When will the blog be done? What sort of bikes did you ride? I've picked up the big yellow guide and have that route on my list. I'd love to hear how it was.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back