• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VF maps to maps.me

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
Im a fan of using offline maps on maps me...but I can't figure out or remember, how I move them from the VF app to the maps me app. Can anyone help?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Im a fan of using offline maps on maps me...but I can't figure out or remember, how I move them from the VF app to the maps me app. Can anyone help?
HI kmcue, I'm not super tech savvy, but I did it, so you can, too. First, download the files from the VF app onto your phone. They will be in gpx format so you won't be able to open them (right away) with maps.me. Next, find a site that will convert gpx files to kml files. I used GPX2KML.com (There's lots of such sites / apps, and maybe someone else knows a better one). From their website, it was easy to convert each of the individual gpx files into kml files. Once they are in kml files, you just open the individual file and they'll either pop up right away on maps.me or your phone will ask you how you want to open the file, and you'll choose maps.me.

A bit tedious, but easy to do.

To save you even that hassle, I'll try and send you a personal message with the converted kml files attached.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
download the files from the VF app onto your phone. They will be in gpx format so you won't be able to open them (right away) with maps.me
There is an app similar to Maps.me called OSMand that works with files in the GPX format (but not for ones in the KML or KMZ formats). It is more complicated to use with more features. You may want to give it a try, you may prefer it. I have both apps, and others, downloaded. This allows me to read files in the formats mentioned without having to do file conversation. I prefer OSMand but mainly because I prefer the internal format of GPX filed that I find easier to tweak with text editors (yes, they really are text files; change a copy of a KML/GPX file to have a TXT suffix instead and look around).

Edit: I originally mentioned that KMZ files could be edited with a text editor too. They cannot.

Last edited:
Hi kmccue - Check out the previous post 'Placing the VF GPS route onto Offline maps with Maps.me' - you can use the KMZ files from the post 'VF KMZ files for Google Earth' (only worked when I downloaded files leg by leg - not the whole route in 1 file) - all kudos to Melanie & Michael of 'Melanie & Michael Go Walking' fame -link here - https://memismsblogs.com/maps-me. I know a lot of people know how to do this stuff in 100 different ways but I didn't know until I saw that link. Also I was keen for a good offline map and Maps.me suited the bill - it shows quite small trails and water points etc. Anyway - good luck & Buen Camino.

There is an app similar to Maps.me called OSMand that works with files in the GPX format (but not for ones in the KML or KMZ formats). It is more complicated to use with more features. You may want to give it a try, you may prefer it. I have both apps, and others, downloaded. This allows me to read files in the formats mentioned without having to do file conversation. I prefer OSMand but mainly because I prefer the internal format of GPX filed that I find easier to tweak with text editors (yes, they really are text files; change a copy of a KML/GPX file to have a TXT suffix instead and look around).

Edit: I originally mentioned that KMZ files could be edited with a text editor too. They cannot.
Hi Rick,
KMZ are zipped KML files.
You can unzip them and edit as text.
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.