• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Agusta in December

Ariel Mallett

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
Hello,

I will be walking the Via Agusta December 15-24, does anyone have any experience walking at this time of year? If so, what tips do you have for packing? Are things open? Should I reserve hostels ahead of time, especially given that I'll be walking so close to Christmas? Any input is appreciated!

A

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Ariel,
I walked from Cadiz to Seville in April this year, and in honest truth only enjoyed the first couple of days, after that too many kms of trails adjacent to motorways or rail lines and to cap it all after a sleepless night in Utrera (bad choice of hotel, above the local youngsters pub on a Madrid vs Barca night) was so tired I'm ashamed to say took a train the last 20kms into Seville.
The highlights for me were Cadiz, Jerez and Seville, I booked all my hotels ahead of time as I don't think there are any Albergues between Cadiz and Seville.
Regards
George
PS Perhaps a more rewarding walk might be Seville - Merida???

Hi George,

First off, there is no shame in walking some parts! Each Camino is specific to the person and if you were honoring yourself and needed to walk, that is OK.

I walked the VdlP about a year and half ago and have already done the Sevilla-Merida stent. I was hoping for something different this time, though I have considered this option though. My main goal is to stay far enough south that the weather isn't too cold for a December walk. Sevilla-Merida may be the best choice, we'll see.

Thanks!
Ariel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Ariel.
Another suggestion
If you want a southern walk, look at Maggie's blog of our travels on the Mozarabe. Malaga - Córdoba may be a candidate 9-10 days and a Albergue at the end of most stages.
I tend to be a bit of a "purist" in my approach to Camino.
Regards
George

Hi George,

That certainly looks doable, though I was originally avoiding the Camino Mozarbe because it passes through the mountains (at least the route from Almaria does) and I would be likely to get snow that time of year. Can you send me the link to the blog you spoke about ?

Thanks!
A

Hi Ariel,
Look at the first post on the Mozarabe section of this forum for a "YouTube" and a link to Maggie's great blog.
The only really mountain stages were the first couple as far as I remember, as for snow perhaps a look at a weather history for the area might give an idea of the likely weather?
Regards
George

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi George,

That certainly looks doable, though I was originally avoiding the Camino Mozarbe because it passes through the mountains (at least the route from Almaria does) and I would be likely to get snow that time of year. Can you send me the link to the blog you spoke about ?

Thanks!
A
Enjoy as Maggie always wrote wonderful blogs. And photos, ahhh.....:
https://magwood.me/camino-mozarabe/

Ultreia!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.