A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Via Augusta in December!

Camino(s) past & future
C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
My 22-year-old son and I will be walking Via Augusta in December!

We have return flights to Málaga December 12th - 21st, and this looks like a nice chance to spend some time together, practice Spanish and eat really well. And buy Jamón and turrón to take home for Christmas.

Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19

We have return flights to Málaga December 12th - 21st, and this looks like a nice chance to spend some time together, practice Spanish and eat really well. And buy Jamón and turrón to take home for Christmas.
I’ll be watching for your posts. Hoping for great weather for both of you.
I had to find out what ‘turrón’ was in English.. my translator told me it was ‘nougat’? Yummy
Buen Camino
Annie

I will be starting the Vis dela Plata from Cadiz on the 4th January and would appreciate any up to date information on accomodation on the Via Augusta as far as Sevilla.

Camino(s) past & future
C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
I'll let you know what we find!

Supposedly, there aren't many albergues, but we're fine with small hostals and don't mind asking for a pilgrim discount.

Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés

I hope very much you enjoy it, but I'd strongly recommend considering the similar length Vía Serrana from near Gibraltar which has spectacular mountain countryside almost all the way, and is also easier to get to from Málaga airport.

The Serrana coincides with the last 2 days of the Augusta before Seville and they were, if like me you don't like flat, almost horrifically flat. And the Serrana was surprisingly cheap and very pilgrim-friendly.

Camino(s) past & future
CF-Finisterra-Muxia 2017; SK Camino Kosiče-Levoča Oct 2017; El Norte March 2018; Ingles Nov 2018
I will be starting the Vis dela Plata from Cadiz on the 4th January and would appreciate any up to date information on accomodation on the Via Augusta as far as Sevilla.
Hoping you post. I’d like to start the VDLP from Cadiz late February so interested in your experience.

Camino(s) past & future
We have reservations for the night in Málaga when we arrive disgustingly late, for a Blablacar ride from Málaga to Cadiz and for the first night after a very short day - in San Fernando.

I have also made a print-out of the bus timetable from Sevilla to Málaga on the day our flight leaves, so we know we're coming home.

Everything else will simply have to wait until we start walking...

Camino(s) past & future
My backpack is packed. Can't be bothered weighing it, but it's about the same as I usually carry, plus a reflective vest. It might be a bit darker than our usual times of the year...

Now I'm off to Luxembourg for work, and on Wednesday I'll have several hours at home before my son and I take off for Spain.

My husband is VERY jealous, but can't take any time off from work right now.

Camino(s) past & future
CF-Finisterra-Muxia 2017; SK Camino Kosiče-Levoča Oct 2017; El Norte March 2018; Ingles Nov 2018
My backpack is packed. Can't be bothered weighing it, but it's about the same as I usually carry, plus a reflective vest. It might be a bit darker than our usual times of the year...

Now I'm off to Luxembourg for work, and on Wednesday I'll have several hours at home before my son and I take off for Spain.

My husband is VERY jealous, but can't take any time off from work right now.
Ooh I’m so excited and so glad to see you post. I’m very interested in your Via Augusta impressions/ feedback (is the route doable/safe alone, is it marked well,is there inexpensive accommodation, is it worth it). ULTREIA, Buen Camino and thank you!!!!!

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you! I'm sitting now in a meeting with the European Commission, using the coffee break to plan. I mentioned the Via Augusta to the Spanish representative before the meeting started, and he said the temperature in Andalucia was above 20 C when he left yesterday...

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Thank you! I'm sitting now in a meeting with the European Commission, using the coffee break to plan. I mentioned the Via Augusta to the Spanish representative before the meeting started, and he said the temperature in Andalucia was above 20 C when he left yesterday...
Oh, now we know what is going on at these EC meetings. Planning Caminos :D :D :D

Camino(s) past & future
OK, we have started. We started walking from Cádiz at 15.30 after finding the Santiago church closed - but we got sellos at the Cathedral and grabbed an extremely hurried lunch.

It’s a very, very nice walk to San Fernando, possibly a bit longer than the handbook says, but beautiful. The beaches, salt marshes and ocean views were really outstanding, and the nice locals had put plenty of benches out for us. But we hardly paused at all in order to get to town before dark. Which we did.

Now we’re in bed at Hostal San Marco, 43 Euros for a twin room if you order from their home page.

The restaurant we found in Tripadvisor was closed, but the kebab place across the street from the hostal was excellent and cheap.

Good night, pligrims!

Camino(s) past & future
We’re now in Puerto de Santa Maria after two lovely walks.

San Fernando to Puerto Real included an 8-km path along the train line next to a natural reserve for birds, lovely views, not a single train while we walked. Halfway was a platform with benches and a sign with pictures of the birds, but very sunbleached. And from PR to PdSM the way went through the wildlife park next to the university campus - quite stunning. Plenty of benches and places to exercise, should you need some extra sweating.

Restaurante La Plaza in Puerto Real has great tapas, by the way.

Camino(s) past & future
We’re now in Puerto de Santa Maria after two lovely walks.

San Fernando to Puerto Real included an 8-km path along the train line next to a natural reserve for birds, lovely views, not a single train while we walked. Halfway was a platform with benches and a sign with pictures of the birds, but very sunbleached. And from PR to PdSM the way went through the wildlife park next to the university campus - quite stunning. Plenty of benches and places to exercise, should you need some extra sweating.

Restaurante La Plaza in Puerto Real has great tapas, by the way.
Thanks Heidi for posting. Please continue to comment on your daily km distance. I’d like to walk it in 7-8 days if possible. ULTREIA and again THANK YOU!

Camino(s) past & future
Jerez de la Frontera was supposed to be an easy walk, but I have two large blisters and a sore knee. Still, we’re here, at an overpriced and noisy hotel.

Today was less interesting, visually, apart from a chance for some exploration. After about 8 km we passed what looked like an abandoned monastery, but actually, according to some locals on bikes, used to be rented for weddings and large parties. The place was wide open, so we looked around a bit on the ground floor.

Restaurant A Mar served us a wonderful lunch. Not cheap, but strongly recommended.

And the Cathedral, which we saw a few years ago, was lovely.

I must add that today we needed maps, the printed text from the pilgrim guide, GPS AND my son’s sharp eyes for yellow arrows to find the way. Not easy, especially when we were approaching Jerez.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks again Heidi, so until Jerez the path markers/maps is relatively easy to find? What distances are you covering per day (>25 or 30)? Thanks

Camino(s) past & future
I have torn open a blister, which does not look good. So we walked (me in Crocs) a bit in Jerez, had lunch and took a taxi to El Cuervo. We saw the yellow arrows from the taxi, so apparently, the Camino runs next to the road - boring!

Single rooms at Hostal Andalucia are 18 Euros. And most bars and restaurants are closed on Sunday evening, but we had some acceptable tapas.

Tomorrow we will go (limp) just 9 km, to Lebrija, in the hope of letting my blister heal a bit.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%