• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Augusta

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Primitivo, V. Augusta, V. Plata, Vadiniense, Libaniego, S Salvador, Ingles.
Is someone out there who walked the Via Augusta from Cádiz to Sevilla? Next year I want to walk the Via de la Plata, but I would like to start in Cádiz. All I could find out is, it's a signed way with shells and arrows and there is one albergue on 173 km to Sevilla. Any recommendations and informations? :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In September I walked the via Augusta from Cadiz to Sevilla in 6 days, with a lay day in Jerez. We did find accommodation but not in Albergues. Mainly hostels

Stops at Puerto Real, Jerez, El Cueroo, Las Cabezus, Utrera. - It is not sign posted that well and you have to keep your eyes open, there are a few spots were there railway works which make the route confusing. Leaving San Fernando after the industrial site is tricky crossing over CA33 see attached.
upload_2014-1-18_11-14-14.png

Later on at Balso de Melendo turn right early to canals, otherwise can get bushed around rail construction. This is past El Cueroo, then make sure you are on right side of the canal when you have to cross fields to Las Cabezas de San Juan, not sign posted. There are maps for this stretch via google, in good detail. There is also info via Confraternity of Saint James. In September it is hot with little shelter and not too many places to replenish supplies.

Thank you very much RickParkes, these are the informations a pilgrim realy needs! I am starting end of March 2015, looks like a little challange is waiting for me, that's what I like! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you Canuck, this is very helpful! You are awesome guys!!! :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much, this is very helpful! Actually I don't want to know too much to let the way surprise me. Are there maps in Cádiz available? I am a low tech pilgrim! ;-)

Last edited:
Great links! Luckily I start with evening school for adults on Wednesday, to learn Spanish! I think it's necessary for this route and for all the websites about the Via Augusta. Thanks a lot bjorgts! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi!

Still waiting for funds to come and to decide if (at all) and what route to go next. And surely VdlP with Via Augusta is one of my favourite picks for this year (June/July- 60 days allowed from Cadiz to Muxia & Fisterra). Great links, thank you very much!!! Guess I'll be into that one because I kind of feel like this is kind of an omen :)

Ultreia!

I used 61 days from Cádiz to Finisterre and Muxia, 56 days walking, 5 days rest (2 in Santiago). There is an albergue in Alcala de Guadaira if you walk that way to Sevilla and not the way through Dos Hermanos. But it is a bit out of town so I preferred to stay in the center.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used 61 days from Cádiz to Finisterre and Muxia, 56 days walking, 5 days rest (2 in Santiago). There is an albergue in Alcala de Guadaira if you walk that way to Sevilla and not the way through Dos Hermanos. But it is a bit out of town so I preferred to stay in the center.

I've counted approx. 1265kms from Cadiz - Seville - Ourense - SdC - Muxia - Fisterra (or vice versa for last two villages) in 55 days, which is 23kms/day. I've done average of 22,6 on CF very easy, so I guess 23 on VDLP would be very enjoyable. Of course I'll have to add 2 or 3 days for getting to&from Spain with 7 (planned) rest days in Cadiz, Seville, Merida, Salamanca, Ourense, Muxia and Fisterra. And maybe I'll just left my return date open :D

I'll not have so much time, I planned a average of 29 - 30 km a day. So I do it in 42 days. I hope to go to Muxia and Finisterra again, for me the best places to finish the pilgrimage. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Having walked from Cádiz to Seville over the last two weeks, I plan to do an English translation (of sorts) of the Spanish Via Augusta (Cádiz to Sevilla) guide, with my notes added, for anyone who is interested. I will post information here once it is done, hopefully within a week or two.
There was only one section that I would not do again, and that was from Las Cabezas de San Juan to Utrera - over 31km of dead boring, hard surfaced walking with not a single village or interesting small farms to at least provide your mind with a break. Also almost no shade (except for the odd overpass) and no water.
El Puerto, Jerez and Lebrija were the highlights for me.
I am in no hurry, so have been taking it easy with a few 'short' days of only around 15km. I covered Cádiz to Sevilla in 9 days walking, with a rest day in Jerez and 3 days in Sevilla. I actually stayed in Alcalá just before Sevilla as everything was either full or madly overpriced because of Semana Santa - Holy Week, and caught the bus (€1.65 each way, around 25 minutes) into Sevilla to visit. This also made it possible for me to walk the Alcalá to Sevilla section without my backpack - what a pleasure!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Indeed, exelent website! :)
Agree completely!
I wonder whether this track (and others on that website for that matter) were done on foot or on map. Looking at Cadiz - Seville track makes me think it was done on foot because on the map there are several quite obvious shorter/more direct possibilities (like in Jerez). But of course if you go for certain location (albergue, church, museum etc.) in the city that makes a(n) (il)logical detour which wouldn't be explained on the map/GPS track :)

Hello Pilgrims,
I am in Muxia now. The Via Augusta was wonderful and well sign posted, better than some parts of the Via de la Plata. It was quite crowded on the Via Augusta, there was one other pilgrim on the way. ;-)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Pilgrims,
I am in Muxia now. The Via Augusta was wonderful and well sign posted, better than some parts of the Via de la Plata. It was quite crowded on the Via Augusta, there was one other pilgrim on the way. ;-)
Congratulations, CSS!!!
Will you post some facts about Via Augusta or maybe you blogged about it? I would be very interested in reading about Cadiz - Seville stretch which isn't covered as good as VdlP. I've seen @lovingkindness posts (I even met her few weeks ago when she passed through my city on her walk but completely forgot to ask about Augusta :() but more up to date info would be very welcome.

Ultreia!

Is someone out there who walked the Via Augusta from Cádiz to Sevilla? Next year I want to walk the Via de la Plata, but I would like to start in Cádiz. All I could find out is, it's a signed way with shells and arrows and there is one albergue on 173 km to Sevilla. Any recommendations and informat
Is someone out there who walked the Via Augusta from Cádiz to Sevilla? Next year I want to walk the Via de la Plata, but I would like to start in Cádiz. All I could find out is, it's a signed way with shells and arrows and there is one albergue on 173 km to Sevilla. Any recommendations and informations? :)
hi. I plan to walk the Via Augusta next year. If you find any information can you share please. I have contacted the Office in Seville and they have no information. I couldn't get through to Cadiz and am still trying. My Spanish is very poor but enough to communicate face to face

hi. I plan to walk the Via Augusta next year. If you find any information can you share please. I have contacted the Office in Seville and they have no information. I couldn't get through to Cadiz and am still trying. My Spanish is very poor but enough to communicate face to face

Hi!,
Have you had a look at this web page?
http://www.asociaciongaditanajacobea.org/
It contains everything you need concerning the Via Augusta.
I walked it a couple years ago only with the pages provided on that site and had not problem whatsoever. The association in Cadiz is very helpful and friendly.
Enjoy!
Jean-Marc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino society in Cádiz has an office, it's open Tuesday 9pm to 11pm and Thursday 9am to 11am. Luis of the society is an experienced pilgrim and answers every question and has some good advice for the Via Augusta. The way is marked enough, when you find no arrow simply walk straight. You find the office in the oldtown of Cádiz, Via Soprano 26. The tourist information helps to find the office. Luis speaks good german and english. He will give you a list of hostals and pensiones, some of them are very nice, the prices are between 20 and 15 € per night. The only albergue is donativo, but actually a house for people who lost their homes or other social problems, the pilgrims eat together with this people. Don't worry they are all friendly and nice. The Via Augusta was a great experience for me, it's very silent, there was just one other pilgrim on the way, I met him twice. :)
I'm sorry wasn't online here for a while, since the Forum app was shot down. Buen Camino!

Oops I have to add, I had no problem with my poor spanish, if you have to ask for the way, you will find out that the people along the way do not know about the Camino, ask for the next city or village, then you will find the way again.:)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.