A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Via Aurelia – Arles to Menton

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
Hi, has anyone walked any parts of this recently who knows of any budget accommodations, or well-placed campsites? I have caminka’s list from 2012 (Thanks Caminka!), but wondered if anyone has any recent info, tips or anecdotes about accommodation along this route (the GR653A). I will be walking west to east (Santiago to Rome), and I have printed out the detailed IGN maps, but would now like to make relevant notes on the maps. Thanks!
Jill

Advertisment

Purky

The Dutch guy
Camino(s) past & future
Breathe properly.
Stay curious.
And walk a camino.
Found a French guide (PDF alert) online, with hébergements for every stage. Hope it is of some use to you. Bon chemin!

EDIT: and a rather colourful PDF list with all accommodations for the GR653A dated June 2018

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
Found a French guide (PDF alert) online, with hébergements for every stage. Hope it is of some use to you. Bon chemin!
Many thanks Purky! That’s the guide from Menton to Arles, i.e. towards Santiago. I have found the equivalent one from Arles to Menton, i.e. towards Rome.
Jill

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Jill, how many weeks/months do you plan for this very long walk? How many total kilometers do you anticipate it being, and how heavy will your pack be if you include a tent for ocassional camping?...I'm just curious, but not considering an adventure such as this for myself! :)

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Hi Chris, about 2,800kms and just over 4 months. My pack will be about 8kg including the tent, no cooking equipment.
Jill
Wow, that will be an amazing accomplishment at any age... and I'm pretty sure you are not in your 30's! ;) I cannot even imagine such an undertaking. Thanks for answering all my questions! Oh, and one last question. Which 4 month stretch will you be walking?

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
When are you doing this? I'm doing a flip flop of most of your route in August 2018. Starting in Menton to Puenta la Reina. Return to Menton [not walking] and walk the the opposite direction to Rome. I've already gone to Santiago several times over previous Caminos, including the Francis.

Camino(s) past & future
Hi @Camino Chris and @O Peracha
I am thinking of starting in Santiago end of Feb (2019), get to Aragonés end of Mar (probably snow over the Somport Pass, but will Plan B that bit), pick up tent in France (already bought and posted to @LesBrass - thanks Colleen!), Toulouse about Easter, so Arles to Menton will be through May, Via della Costa beginning of June, then Via Francigena arriving Roma beginning of July. I have absolutely no idea if I can physically, mentally or spiritually do this, but I am going to try.
Jill

Camino(s) past & future
Interesting. I'm flip-flopping specifically for the weather. Get across Somport before the snow/wind and avoid the heat in Italy. I can handle pretty much anything, rain, snow, wind, snoring, no beds, no food but heat (once it gets above 32C/90F) will knock me out. Couldn't agree with you more. Don't know if you can do it or not until you do it. Bonne route.

Camino(s) past & future
End of August. I'll hit Somport Pass in October.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%