• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence to Arles

ramble-on

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2010; LePuy 2011; VdlP 2013/14; CdN (to Oviedo) & Primitivo 2016
This question may be in the wrong area, but as a precursor of the Via Tolosana, I’m wondering if anybody following the Arles threads has walked the Via Aurelia (GR 653A) from Aix to Arles. If so, I’m interested in finding out stages, distances, and availability of gites (is there a guidebook?) but more importantly, general impressions of that stretch.

I’m thinking about (or perhaps even planning?) a walk through southern France, possibly in April/May 2020, and have read a lot here about the challenges, beauty and solitude of the way from Arles to Somport. I’m intrigued by the thought of experiencing it firsthand. My plan is to visit my daughter in Geneva first, then get the train to Aix and start walking west from there, possibly ending in Puente la Reina, or not, depending on how it’s going.

Many thanks to any who can help me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi ramble-on!

Maybe try this site?

I'm on the Arles route at the moment. Some parts are spectacularly beautiful (currently walking through the Haut Languedoc national park, just glorious) but it's also very challenging - not so much the physical part, but more the lack of any services for 20-30km stretches (and then finally arriving at your destination to find you can't get the gite key as the mairie is closed on certain afternoons, or the epicerie you were counting on for resupply is no longer open...)

For the stretch from Arles onwards, Miam Miam Dodo seems to be the best resource. Not great if you're after historical/interesting reading material, but they seem to be the only guide that provides opening times for gites, supermarkets, etc. This info really is crucial if you want to enjoy/survive the trek through less populated regions.

I'll try and write a more detailed report when I get home next week (no wifi in the gites so my data is almost finished! Yikes)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

This is a general question for my curiosity. It probably should be posted in “Equipment etc” but would probably get a lot of Spain replies. I’m not bringing my emergency beacon but I did read on...
Greetings pilgrims, We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back