• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de Bayona -12 Stage:290km route from Bayonne - Burgos

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.caminoviadebayona.com/camino/page0001.htm

The Way of Bayonne is ceasing to be the most overlooked way. The Association of the Camino de Santiago de Miranda has achieved in just six years this route of St. James that had disappeared from the maps of the pilgrims. Their hard work recognized by the community of St. James with the celebration in the city of the ninth meeting of the Spanish associations of the Camino de Santiago, attended by groups of El Bierzo, León, Astorga, Burgos, Alava, Haro, Zaragoza, Irun, Alcaniz, Logroño and clustering of Briviesca. Mobilized nearly three hundred people.

Marked and signposted, The Way of Bayonne was impassable until recently. But now, thanks to the work of the local association, the landscape has changed dramatically: the transition is swift and sharp.
The section that connects with Alava is awaiting the opening after the finishing touches to change a drain and build a concrete platform on the gas pipe. A panel explanation for the Ways of Bayonne, the historic character of the course, also have a list of some famous people who have gone through it. Also include the name of Deobriga, with the logos of Castilla y Leon and the Basque Country.
For its part, the City of Pancorbo was responsible for clearing and stop in good condition the section of the gorge to the town, one of the most emblematic of the trail. Thus, from Trevino to Burgos is the perfect way for traveling pilgrims, except after 200 meters-Pancorbo toward the provincial capital, but cleaned of weeds shortly.
"We achieved an important goal, that the Way is fully fit," confirmed the president of the Association of Friends of the Camino mirandesa Andres Terrazas.
The signal is composed indications yet as arrows and yellow, albeit through Bureba Adeco soon installed new signposts to Quintanapalla. In each municipality will be panels that will guide walkers on what is most interesting to visit, plus four large posters with a graph of the Way of Bayonne. As regards accommodation, Monasterio de Rodilla will enable the house once used as the town doctor hostel and is still pending the City Council Briviesca prime place. The unexpected good news is that Quintanavides also put a building for this purpose.
Now pilgrims can spend the night in La Puebla de Arganzón, Pancorbo and Miranda. Yet the goal is for the town Mirandesa have a specific accommodation and municipal ownership for those who follow the paths of Bayonne. Mayor Fernando Campo pledged yesterday to make it happen "medium term". For his part, Director General for Youth of the Board, Sergio Montoya reminded the Administration's effort to enhance the Way in 2010, year St. James.
Once the infrastructure is ready, "signaling, shelters and the local association intends to edit a guide to serve as a promotion. This year we have already spent about 600 pilgrims in the city, many of them by bicycle.

Attachments

• via_baiona.jpg
    via_baiona.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,348
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I´m interested in walking this camino (Bayonne to Burgos) next year. Worried about the waymarking though...I´m studying Spanish but not fluent yet.
annie

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie - top it off with Santiago to Finisterre! (I think I could walk that route every year).

Oh, wait, I forgot about the Camino de Invierno, I'll have to re-route things. So many caminos!

Sil, do you (or does anyone else) know details about how good the marking is, and the status of accommodation on the route? And whether there's a lot of road walking? (I'm a little more sensitive to that now -- last summer, the walk from Lisbon to Porto was probably about 85% asphalt and it really got to my feet and legs).

thanks, Laurie

Laurie - the report intimated that the way was marked but its hard to tell by looking at the stage maps how much would be on roads. Perhaps you could contact them and let us all know? caminomiranda@hotmail.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there a guidebook available for Bayona route too Burgos. I'm thinking of walking the tunnel route this august.

Maybe I could include some of this route.

Gracias,
Cliff

Hi, Cliff,
I'm thinking about this Camino for 2015. I think the only difference between the Via de Bayona and the Tunnel route is from the point at which they split and the Vasco goes to Santo Domingo while the Via de Bayona goes to Burgos. I'm not aware of a guide, but will cobble together as much web info as I can if I go for it. The CSJ has an online guide to the Vasco Interior/Tunnel route, so it wouldn't require too much extra work. At this point, I think I would make the decision at the split, depending on what I learn along the way, other people, etc.

I'll be walking in June 2015 and will be happy to share information that might help you out when I get back. I think I've got it narrowed down to Vasco, or Ebro, or Lana, all would take me somewhere on the Frances, and at that point I could jump ahead to the start of the Invierno.

Hi, Cliff,
I'm thinking about this Camino for 2015. I think the only difference between the Via de Bayona and the Tunnel route is from the point at which they split and the Vasco goes to Santo Domingo while the Via de Bayona goes to Burgos. I'm not aware of a guide, but will cobble together as much web info as I can if I go for it. The CSJ has an online guide to the Vasco Interior/Tunnel route, so it wouldn't require too much extra work. At this point, I think I would make the decision at the split, depending on what I learn along the way, other people, etc.

I'll be walking in June 2015 and will be happy to share information that might help you out when I get back. I think I've got it narrowed down to Vasco, or Ebro, or Lana, all would take me somewhere on the Frances, and at that point I could jump ahead to the start of the Invierno.
Hi Laurie, at which point on the route do they split do you know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am still a little fuzzy on the nomenclature, but according to the CSJ guide to the tunnel route, the split occurs after the village of Estavillo. The Camino de Santiago por la Rioja-Vasco Interior continues to Santo Domingo. The other option, which I think but am not sure is the Via de Bayona, has these suggested stages: La Puebla de Arganzón, Miranda de Ebro, Pancorbo, Briviesca, Monasterio de Rodilla, Burgos.

I´ve posted another thread asking for recommendations as between these two alternatives here, so maybe that will give you some more information.

Buen camino, Laurie

I am still a little fuzzy on the nomenclature, but according to the CSJ guide to the tunnel route, the split occurs after the village of Estavillo. The Camino de Santiago por la Rioja-Vasco Interior continues to Santo Domingo. The other option, which I think but am not sure is the Via de Bayona, has these suggested stages: La Puebla de Arganzón, Miranda de Ebro, Pancorbo, Briviesca, Monasterio de Rodilla, Burgos.

I´ve posted another thread asking for recommendations as between these two alternatives here, so maybe that will give you some more information.

Buen camino, Laurie

good Evening,

I found this guide for the Bayonne Route to to Burgos. It is in spanish, I'll have to spend time translating it. But looks pretty good. just thought you maybe interested in it. http://www.adecobureba.com/images/s...f?phpMyAdmin=352e4d990a1ef8949becef5c0a6334e4
Cliff

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen camino, Laurie
Im planning on walking the Camino Bayona this September. i contacted this office.
Mª Pilar Montoya Corcuera
Secretaria de la Asociación
Poblado de los Ángeles Mª 14 - Vª 1
09200 Miranda de Ebro (Burgos)
Teléfonos 947 32 58 35 y 636 55 64 02 They have a Guidebook will mail it to you. I just sent them my address yesterday, I'm in Massachusetts so may take some time for delivery. Seems they are trying tom promote the route so I'm thinking the guide should be pretty comprehensive.

Figure I'd post this , if someone could use the information,

Buen Camino
Cliff

good Evening,

I found this guide for the Bayonne Route to to Burgos. It is in spanish, I'll have to spend time translating it. But looks pretty good. just thought you maybe interested in it. http://www.adecobureba.com/images/s...f?phpMyAdmin=352e4d990a1ef8949becef5c0a6334e4
Cliff
Morning Cliff,
I am coming from Australia and just noticed this Bayonne Route - did you manage to find any english information on the route, albergues or anything? I have searched through Amazon and google and not been able to come up with any specific details which are not in spanish. My email is tinamarie1@hotmail.com.au if that helps with information you can give me. I am planning on walking in Spet/Oct 2017 for 7 weeks. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Morning Cliff,
I am coming from Australia and just noticed this Bayonne Route - did you manage to find any english information on the route, albergues or anything? I have searched through Amazon and google and not been able to come up with any specific details which are not in spanish. My email is tinamarie1@hotmail.com.au if that helps with information you can give me. I am planning on walking in Spet/Oct 2017 for 7 weeks. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Hi, Tina-Marie,

I'm about to start Via de Bayona on May 18th. Sometimes it's hard to find English guide-books for less walked Caminos but there are always Spanish descriptions somewhere on the internet which you can Google translate. I'm happy that after few Caminos I understand that much Spanish to be able to decrypt them ;)
I haven't found English guide-book for Via de Bayona but there is a rather outdated guide-book for Camino Vasco de Interior which splits from VdB in Estavillo and ends in Sto.Domingo de la Calzada instead of Burgos:
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE3.03.Vasco_CSJ_en.pdf

From 7 different internet sources I compiled descriptions and albergues (& other villages infrastructure etc.) info which I'll print out and bring with me. For me it's more fun to read them in Spanish just to get into the scheme of using different language faster. I can send it to you right away (.docx format) but I intend to update them once back home. You plan to walk it in more than a year so there's plenty of time :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Tina-Marie,

I'm about to start Via de Bayona on May 18th. Sometimes it's hard to find English guide-books for less walked Caminos but there are always Spanish descriptions somewhere on the internet which you can Google translate. I'm happy that after few Caminos I understand that much Spanish to be able to decrypt them ;)
I haven't found English guide-book for Via de Bayona but there is a rather outdated guide-book for Camino Vasco de Interior which splits from VdB in Estavillo and ends in Sto.Domingo de la Calzada instead of Burgos:
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE3.03.Vasco_CSJ_en.pdf

From 7 different internet sources I compiled descriptions and albergues (& other villages infrastructure etc.) info which I'll print out and bring with me. For me it's more fun to read them in Spanish just to get into the scheme of using different language faster. I can send it to you right away (.docx format) but I intend to update them once back home. You plan to walk it in more than a year so there's plenty of time :)
Thanks for the response KinkyOne, I would love to follow your walk if you are going to blog :) As this is my first Camino I have only just started learning Spanish (bought book Camino Lingo) and I have found somethings just don't translate for some reason :/ Any information that you can give me after your walk would be greatly appreciated as well. :)

Thanks for the response KinkyOne, I would love to follow your walk if you are going to blog :) As this is my first Camino I have only just started learning Spanish (bought book Camino Lingo) and I have found somethings just don't translate for some reason :/ Any information that you can give me after your walk would be greatly appreciated as well. :)
Unfortunatelly I don't blog but usually post daily journal after return from Camino. Although I'm still way behind with my last summer Levante & Sanabres combo :oops:

Here you can follow certain forum section if not interested in going through all the posts or you can even bookmark threads and get e-mail notification each time new post has been posted.

If I remember correctly on May 4th two of our forum members will start Camino Vasco del Interior and one of them is indeed blogging:
http://camino.wificat.com/

Have a nice day!

Hi Tina-Marie Brownie! Welcome to the forum!

I have searched through Amazon and google and not been able to come up with any specific details which are not in spanish.

The Confraternity of St. James has a guide in English about the Tunnel route that covers both the route from Hendaye to Santo Domingo and the route to Burgos being the latter the Vía de Bayona but doesn't include the part of the Vía de Bayona from Bayonne to Hendaye. They also have updates to the guide. Take a look at their web: www.csj.org.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Holla Tina,
I had change of plan, walked the Northe to Oviedo then South to Leon on the Camino San Salvador. Then walked Leon to Santiago. I found this link for you , guide for Via Bayonne.
If you are looking for a remote , scenic walk the San Salvador is pretty quiet and scenic. Just a thought,
http://www.gronze.com/camino-vasco
The dream is half the journey, enjoy
Cliff

The Confraternity of St. James has a guide in English about the Tunnel route that covers both the route to Santo Domingo and the route to Burgos being the latter the Vía de Bayona. They also have updates to the guide. Take a look at their web: www.csj.org.uk

Hola Castilian!

Could you post a link to CSJ Via de Bayona guide-book please, because I wasn't able to find it and I'm compiling my own guide-book for a few weeks now :) There's only 2010 guide for Camino Vasco del Interior (Tunnel Route) as I can see.

And to add this: some sources have Via de Bayona with starting point in Irun. Huh??? Why Via de Bayona then? Via de Irun maybe ;)

There's only 2010 guide for Camino Vasco del Interior (Tunnel Route) as I can see.

That one includes the branch to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Camino Vasco del Interior) and the branch to Burgos (Vía de Bayona) as well as the common route of both caminos from Hendaye but doesn't include the part from Bayonne to Hendaye (a detail I didn't say on my previous post, sorry. I'll edit it now). They also have 2014 updates of the guide you quote at www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates (take a look at 4B on 'Pilgrim guides to Spain').

If you read French, take a look at: www.aucoeurduchemin.org (click on the right menu on "Les voies Jacquaires dans les Pyrénées Atlantics" and later on Camino Vasco et Via de Baiona, on Voie de la Côte (and on all the links you'll find later) and on Etapes sur carte IGN) for info about the route from Bayonne to Hendaye.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That one includes the branch to Santo Domingo de la Calzada (Camino Vasco del Interior) and the branch to Burgos (Vía de Bayona) as well as the common route of both caminos from Hendaye but doesn't include the part from Bayonne to Hendaye (a detail I didn't say on my previous post, sorry. I'll edit it now). They also have 2014 updates of the guide you quote at www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/csj-guides-and-updates (take a look at 4B on 'Pilgrim guides to Spain').

If you read French, take a look at: www.aucoeurduchemin.org (click on the right menu on "Les voies Jacquaires dans les Pyrénées Atlantics" and later on Camino Vasco et Via de Baiona, on Voie de la Côte (and on all the links you'll find later) and on Etapes sur carte IGN) for info about the route from Bayonne to Hendaye.
Thanks, Castilian!!!

The one I downloaded was only to Sto.Domingo. Can't really understand how i've missed this one... I already have all the descriptions from Spanish sources and that's enough for me but to have an additional English print won't hurt ;)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back