• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata 2019.

david marquez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte-Primitivo April-May 2018
Hello all,
I did the Camino del Norte/Primitivo to Fistere in April/May of this year and I am now a hopeless Camino addict. Every morning I remember and smile, and I wish I was still there.
Planning to do the Via de la Plata in 2019, either starting again in April, or more likely a late summer start, end of September.
Looking for any advice, experience and of course opinions about anything VdlP related.
Thanks in advance fellow Peregrinos...buen Camino!
Dave Marquez

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all,
I did the Camino del Norte/Primitivo to Fistere in April/May of this year and I am now a hopeless Camino addict. Every morning I remember and smile, and I wish I was still there.
Planning to do the Via de la Plata in 2019, either starting again in April, or more likely a late summer start, end of September.
Looking for any advice, experience and of course opinions about anything VdlP related.
Dave Marquez
Hi Dave.... I have walked a Camino each year since 2012. A happy addiction.
I walked the VDLP starting mid April 2017. I felt it was the perfect time to start. Just a nice number of other walkers. Varied from 15 to 40 people at different towns.
Loved the walk. One of my favourites. Would definitely do again. I had heard prior of the huge distances between towns. I found no problems... but like to do 25 to 30k a day. Albergues were fantastic. A lot of what we called a "2 sheet Albergue".
Just turn up and start as normal. You will love it.
Cheers
Gary

Hi Dave.... I have walked a Camino each year since 2012. A happy addiction.
I walked the VDLP starting mid April 2017. I felt it was the perfect time to start. Just a nice number of other walkers. Varied from 15 to 40 people at different towns.
Loved the walk. One of my favourites. Would definitely do again. I had heard prior of the huge distances between towns. I found no problems... but like to do 25 to 30k a day. Albergues were fantastic. A lot of what we called a "2 sheet Albergue".
Just turn up and start as normal. You will love it.
Cheers
Gary

Gary, muchas gracias! Exactly what I want to hear! I will either do a mid April or a late September start....really looking forward to it! It’s an addictin that I am happily succumbing to!😏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Dave, I walked the Via from Seville commencing April 2018. I timed my start for a week after the Easter celebrations had completed. It was a fabulous experience from start to finish. Never too crowded but the Sanabres became a bit of a bed race towards the end. Experienced all four seasons with the weather but the beauty of Spain in the spring was stunning. I'm planning to do the Norte same time next year but I feel so drawn to get back on the Via again soon. Buen Camino

Hi Dave, I walked the Via from Seville commencing April 2018. I timed my start for a week after the Easter celebrations had completed. It was a fabulous experience from start to finish. Never too crowded but the Sanabres became a bit of a bed race towards the end. Experienced all four seasons with the weather but the beauty of Spain in the spring was stunning. I'm planning to do the Norte same time next year but I feel so drawn to get back on the Via again soon. Buen Camino

You must have been walking the Via whilst I was walking the del Norte. I started on April 6th. I am still dumbfounded by the spectacular beauty of Spains North coast. I too found April-May to be wonderful timing. Being from near Seattle the extremely wet spring this year did not put me off. My one thought to offer you on the del norte is to investigate all of the optional or alternative routes that avoid using paved roads and follow the shoreline. There are numerous places, in particular the departure from Santander, where it will be a longer walk, but in my opinion infinitely more rewarding to follow the trails along the shoreline and bluffs overlooking the bay of Biscay!

Hello all,
Dave Marquez
Check the temperatures for southern Spain in September. ☀️🔥☀️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all,
Dave Marquez
We, wife and I with 2 Frances in 11 months, behind us are planning a end of September 2019 or October 1, 2019 start of the Via de la Plata. We are starting our planning now. Buen Camino

I've done a few VDLP either the whole route or bits. I have walked in months ranging from may to august and never found the heat too oppressive. I generally started around 8 or 9am depending on the distance. A word of caution about starting in September; one year I started in late august and got to Galicia in October and it was FREEZING. I met up with some Swedes and we all bought gloves in Mombuey as it was so cold I was wearing a t shirt,shirt,fleece,scarf and raincoat to keep warm...and sunrise is obviously much later than mid year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We, wife and I with 2 Frances in 11 months, behind us are planning a end of September 2019 or October 1, 2019 start of the Via de la Plata. We are starting our planning now. Buen Camino

Maybe I will see you! My spring has been booked up with a trans-amerian bicycle ride in May-July. So I will be planning to start the VdlP around October 1st. Still hoping to start in Tarifa.

I am considering a pull behind single wheel trailer, a Monowalker Fatmate....anyone have experience/opinions about pulling a trailer? I saw a few on the main Camino Frances route into Compostela this past spring and they have some advantages that appeal to me....and the Monowalker is pricey but its designed from the ground up for “Adventure walking”

In April there will most likely be beautiful wildflowers. By late September things are pretty brown if that makes a difference to you. Also, you will likely have more company in April.

Maybe I will see you! My spring has been booked up with a trans-amerian bicycle ride in May-July. So I will be planning to start the VdlP around October 1st. Still hoping to start in Tarifa.
@david marquez
I walked the VdlP October/November 2017, beginning in Seville on Oct. 3 and arriving in Santiago on Nov. 21. From Seville to Salamanca (halfway) the daytime highs were in the mid 30s, too hot for me. After that the weather freshened and one or two days there was frost in the early mornings, but comfortably cool daytime walking and very little rain. Whether this weather suits you may depend on your own background and preferences. And of course the weather may be very different next year. Regardless, Buen camino.

I walked the Via from Seville to SdC in April/May this year. There were numerous areas where pulling a single wheel trailer behind me would have been absolutely impossible.

The earlier the year the more humidity in the ground. When walking the sanabrés in May 2010 there were lots of sections which were flooded or soaking wet. No chance to get through these areas with a trailer. I also learnt from some friends who started in Seville in March/April that there were some hazardous river-crossings. Walking this section in mid September, they were no problem. Though, in mid September it can still be very hot.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am considering a pull behind single wheel trailer, a Monowalker Fatmate....anyone have experience/opinions about pulling a trailer? ...

There are quite a few streams to cross on the Plata, not sure if a trailer would be such a great idea in that case ...

Buen Camino, SY

It would great to meet along the VdlP 😁

I walked the Via from Seville to SdC in April/May this year. There were numerous areas where pulling a single wheel trailer behind me would have been absolutely impossible.
The first that came to mind was Calvary just before Almaden. That hill is steep enough for a person to lug themselves up and I wondered how bicigrinos do it without bypassing the park altogether.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am considering a pull behind single wheel trailer, a Monowalker Fatmate....anyone have experience/opinions about pulling a trailer? I saw a few on the main Camino Frances route into Compostela this past spring and they have some advantages that appeal to me....and the Monowalker is pricey but its designed from the ground up for “Adventure walking”

I walked the Vdlp last spring with a couple who were using a pull behind trailer (used with a set of walking poles), and also a single man who had made his own heavy duty trailer and was using it. He had walked all over Europe with it. Both lots were enthusiastic about the benefits.

Hello all,
Dave Marquez

David:

VdlP is on my list as a possibility this year. I would be looking at a late March start around the 25th. I am assuming weather will be similar to the Mozarabe. That said, I have rain gear and do not let weather, other than heat, impact my walking decisions.

Ultreya,
Joe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have not locked in dates yet but I am definitely walking the VdlP this Spring starting approximately Mid-March.

Anybody willing to share their stages, information on accommodations or other information is always helpful. I have yet to find any information on stage topography.

Happy New Year to all,
Joe

Toying with either the Le Puy to SJPDP or the VDLP this spring. Is early March for VDLP too early? Would hit Galicia beginning of April.
Buen Camino,
Carol

I have not locked in dates yet but I am definitely walking the VdlP this Spring starting approximately Mid-March.

Anybody willing to share their stages, information on accommodations or other information is always helpful. I have yet to find any information on stage topography.

Happy New Year to all,
Joe

Gerald Kelly's book has a lot of that info. There is a 2018 edition

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is early March for VDLP too early?
I started March 18, 2017, and thought that timing was perfect. However, I've heard that 2018 was quite miserable in March for much of southern Spain. Since we can't predict the weather so far ahead, just plan for both chilly mornings and some rainy days.

Somebody else posted in this forum about pulling a trailer on VDLP. Of course I don't remember who it was or what the thread was and.... now that I think about it.... my post is starting to sound kind of pointless. Anyway, look around and if I find it again, will forward it to you!

Somebody else posted in this forum about pulling a trailer on VDLP. Of course I don't remember who it was or what the thread was and.... now that I think about it.... my post is starting to sound kind of pointless. Anyway, look around and if I find it again, will forward it to you!
last spring on the vldp ,,,met 3 pilgrims with 2 wheeled trailers ,,, one gave up on hers after one week ,,but her friend continued on with hers,,,later on the Sanabres a couple with 1 trailer were towards the end taxiing the trailer ahead !!! but maybe a one wheeled is easier,,,,or just lighten your pack !!! Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
last spring on the vldp ,,,met 3 pilgrims with 2 wheeled trailers ,,, one gave up on hers after one week ,,but her friend continued on with hers,,,later on the Sanabres a couple with 1 trailer were towards the end taxiing the trailer ahead !!! but maybe a one wheeled is easier,,,,or just lighten your pack !!! Buen camino

Was that the two Flemish ladies? I met them last spring near Castilblanco. Somebody told me they had struggled on some stages because of the terrain.

From various conversations with people who used trailers down the years I got the impression that they had really brought a lot of stuff just because they thought it would be easy to transport, and of course they found they didn't need half of it...

Was that the two Flemish ladies? I met them last spring near Castilblanco. Somebody told me they had struggled on some stages because of the terrain.

From various conversations with people who used trailers down the years I got the impression that they had really brought a lot of stuff just because they thought it would be easy to transport, and of course they found they didn't need half of it...
Hi ,,,yes it was those two ,,, and much later on was an Italian couple,,, and are you the one we English speakers have to thank for the guide book on the vldp ,,,many thanks !!! Fantastic Camino and must have just missed you !!

@david marquez
I walked the VdlP October/November 2017, beginning in Seville on Oct. 3 and arriving in Santiago on Nov. 21. From Seville to Salamanca (halfway) the daytime highs were in the mid 30s, too hot for me. After that the weather freshened and one or two days there was frost in the early mornings, but comfortably cool daytime walking and very little rain. Whether this weather suits you may depend on your own background and preferences. And of course the weather may be very different next year. Regardless, Buen camino.

We will be starting the VdlP right around the first of October 2019. Definitely like the cooler weather. We hope it will be cooler in 2019 then in 2018. :) Did the Frances in the fall...very nice, did the Frances in Aug-Sept, way to HOT !

Buen Caminos ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started March 18, 2017, and thought that timing was perfect. However, I've heard that 2018 was quite miserable in March for much of southern Spain. Since we can't predict the weather so far ahead, just plan for both chilly mornings and some rainy days.
Thanks for information on your walk. Agree, will deal with weather. It’s the Camino! Will start VDLP on March 4. Very excited! Buen Camino!

Thanks for information on your walk. Agree, will deal with weather. It’s the Camino! Will start VDLP on March 4. Very excited! Buen Camino!

Hello CRC
I will be starting on March 2nd. Planning to be VERY slow for the first days so will look forward to meeting you along the way.
Megg

My start date is looking more like March 18th or 19th depending when I arrive inn Sevilla.

Joe

Hello all,
Dave Marquez

Hello all,
Dave Marquez
I too am going to starting the VDLP on April 8th arriving Seville Apr 5 at Hotel Simon

We are starting on March 4. Staying at Hotel Simon for a few days before we start. Will post along the route. Planning to do the Sanabres through Ourense.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm on the Levante at the moment and while last year was blizzards, cold and awful weather, this year, spring has come early. Unseasonably warm. The wildflowers are starting in the warmer spots and there is blossom already. I'm hiking in a tshirt and windbreaker. And lots of buffs with my Paramo pants. If I had known that the weather would be so good I would have taken hiking shoes rather than boots.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I booked my flight to Seville and now am having a hard time not to pack and repack my pack 24/7 🤪

I will start my Via de la Plata on March 17th.

@ Donna: I am happy to hear weather feels toasty at at the moment. I remember last spring on the shores of Portugal 🥶

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back