• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata app?

susan76

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP September/October 2016
Hi all, I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata in September this year. Because of weight I prefer not to bring a guidebook but to use an app. I wonder if there are any recent experiences with good apps for this route? Preferably in English but Spanish is possible too. Thanks!

Susan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Susan, if you have an iPhone you can download and use the app made by erosky consumer. It's an app version of the content of their site and that i consider the definitive guide of all the caminos and that i've used different times. Here you find the app: https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/camino/id378279011?mt=8

Some additional ideas :
  1. Download the list of albergues that is maintained on this VdlP forum;
  2. If you use an eReader, purchase an electronic copy of Gerald Kelly's book "Walking Guide to the Via de la Plata" ;
  3. I've found the online site gronze.com very helpful; and
  4. The app Via de la Plata is also good (I paid a little more and got the Premium version).
Hope these help

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's a thread on this forum c
Hi all, I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata in September this year. Because of weight I prefer not to bring a guidebook but to use an app. I wonder if there are any recent experiences with good apps for this route? Preferably in English but Spanish is possible too. Thanks!

Susan
There's a thread on this forum called "Melanie's Via de la Plata app". I found her app very useful.

Melanie's app is a little dated now but still useful. I have Gerard Kelly's book as an ebook on my iPhone in the Kindle App and it's great. I believe he's just walking the VdlP so it may get an update soon?

Melanie's app is no longer available

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, very useful info! Downloaded both the Erosky (there an Android version as well) as Via de la Plata app to check it out. I see the Gerard Kelly book will have an update soon so that will be perfect!

Hi Susan - enjoy the planning stage.
I’ve walked the Vdlp 2 and a half times and it’s very well marked now so you won’t need much in the way of pre-planning. There are plenty of muni/private albergues on route. The VdlP accommodation guide here on the site is awesome. I used Melanie’s app for the tricky bits only. I did not find the Kelly book very useful although I had it loaded on my phone in 2015. I have been reading recently that the numbers this year on the VdlP have exploded so I doubt you’ll ever be alone :) . If you have time, do visit the Jamon museum in Monesterio and go to Bar Los Templarios in the same village - awesome food. Early September can be super hot so be prepared to start early and take plenty of water.
If I can be of any further help, feel free to ask me or PM (private message) me. Buen Camino

Thanks, I just downloaded that accommodation guide as well. I'm not doing a lot of pre-planning, but even on the best marked routes I always manage to get lost and walk in the wrong direction so I do need a guide as a back-up :)
Hope it will not be too exploded yet. I will take my time, short walks, lots of sightseeing, but as a vegetarian food in Spain can be a bit challenging, and the jamon museum might not be my cup of tea ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Grace, can you tellme where you read this information?

Firstly, although the way is ( mostly) well marked I would recommend downloading a Gps track. You can find them on the web and use an app like gpx viewer to use it.

Secondly, I'm on the VdlP at the moment and I have seen up to 30 people on a stage.

I'm using Gerald Kelly's book and have found it very useful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a couple of apps and I have to say there were brilliant.

This one was my most favoutite https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.independentrip.viadelaplata&hl=en

It's worth paying the 1.99 fee - there is a free version but I found the accommodation information useful. The app is in a few different languages, has text, elevation profiles and photos. There were a few occasions when the photos were very useful in keeping us on the trail. There is also information about towns, services and accommodation. Really a GREAT little app.

You will need to get the Silver route and the Sanebres... but worth the money

I also used a WISE PILGRIM app. I have this for the Camino Frances too and I did find it a goo addition/tool

And the GRONZE website was also a tool I used a lot... there's no app but I just had a link to the site on my phone.

I found that these three worked very well together, coveed most bases and seemed to answer all my questions. I did also download the kindle version of Gerald Kelly's book... which was also good but the apps were my go-to point of reference.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back