• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata, April 2022 - to the Sanabrés, or Astorga?

• Thread starter Former member 31048
  • Start date
I haven't even looked into insurance yet but I'm shocked that its nearly a thousand dollars.
My credit card insurance is with Covermore. I will check that early next year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't even looked into insurance yet but I'm shocked that its nearly a thousand dollars.
My credit card insurance is with Covermore. I will check that early next year.
Hi Heather -

Like Annie, I grizzled - and gulped - when I was told the amount! Hooley dooley!

If your credit card insurance is with Covermore you might be able to get a discount - worth asking.

Cheers from Sydney -

Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all. And happy new year. Just wanted to provide an update to all the kind folks who contributed to this thread. Yes it was started by Former Member # …. But that’s me (long story). Anyway, I started the thread to get some input on VdelP options as we don’t have time available on this trip to walk the entire route. And appreciated your assistance. Thank you

So the update - for a variety of reasons, we’ve decided to leave the VdelP and walk in France instead. With language and health cover and family and friends not far away, it’s a relaxing and uncomplicated option for us - easier to manage if things go awry - which is very appealing after the last two years.

And it avoids having to travel from Paris to Seville which is perfectly doable but … Also, and importantly for me, I’d prefer to walk VdelP when we have time to walk the entire route - that has been in mind for many years. Thé Invierno was also in the mix and through what I’ve learned in recent times has now made its way towards the top of our ‘list’ of next Caminos.

Though we always love waking in Spain, my previous three French Caminos - Le Puy, Arles and Chemin du Stevenson (ok, not the same) - were absolutely wonderful in all respects. So now we look forward to Chemin du Piemont Pyrénéen from Narbonne to SJPP and maybe a few days more if we have time. I must say it looks like a beautiful path.

Later in our travels after a family holiday outside Paris we will spend time in Basque Country and hopefully walk the Camino Baztan. A brief sojourn in Spain - until next time.

So that’s the plan at this stage. Thanks again for your input. Muchas gracias merci beaucoup. ❤️🇫🇷 🇪🇸 ❤️😎🙏

Hi all. And happy new year. Just wanted to provide an update to all the kind folks who contributed to this thread. Yes it was started by Former Member # …. But that’s me (long story). Anyway, I started the thread to get some input on VdelP options as we don’t have time available on this trip to walk the entire route. And appreciated your assistance. Thank you

So the update - for a variety of reasons, we’ve decided to leave the VdelP and walk in France instead. With language and health cover and family and friends not far away, it’s a relaxing and uncomplicated option for us - easier to manage if things go awry - which is very appealing after the last two years.

And it avoids having to travel from Paris to Seville which is perfectly doable but … Also, and importantly for me, I’d prefer to walk VdelP when we have time to walk the entire route - that has been in mind for many years. Thé Invierno was also in the mix and through what I’ve learned in recent times has now made its way towards the top of our ‘list’ of next Caminos.

Though we always love waking in Spain, my previous three French Caminos - Le Puy, Arles and Chemin du Stevenson (ok, not the same) - were absolutely wonderful in all respects. So now we look forward to Chemin du Piemont Pyrénéen from Narbonne to SJPP and maybe a few days more if we have time. I must say it looks like a beautiful path.

Later in our travels after a family holiday outside Paris we will spend time in Basque Country and hopefully walk the Camino Baztan. A brief sojourn in Spain - until next time.

So that’s the plan at this stage. Thanks again for your input. Muchas gracias merci beaucoup. ❤️🇫🇷 🇪🇸 ❤️😎🙏
Sounds like a great plan.
Bon Chemin

Sadly our planned VdlP in Spring will probably be postponed ( again ) but one day …

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bon Chemin

Sadly our planned VdlP in Spring will probably be postponed ( again ) but one day …
Oh sorry to hear that @Babyboomergirl It’s tough when you’re looking forward to something. I have been wanting to walk the VdelP since 2014 and somehow it hasn’t happened. And now deferred again. Still … I can’t regret that.

In early 2014, I was trying to decide on my third Camino after twice on the Frances. It would be a solo walk. I was tossing up between VdelP as first choice, Camino del Norte as second and Le Puy a distant third - in last place because it wasn’t Spain!

Through a surprising turn of events, I suddenly decided on Le Puy. Even in the first days of walking, before I settled in to my rhythm on the beautiful Le Puy Way, I wondered why I was in France and not in Spain. On day 19, I met a French pilgrim, now ‘mon mari’. That and many other serendipities in life have led me to have faith that for every path not taken, there is another that leads you to something worthwhile.

Here’s to us both walking the Via de la Plata before too long. 🙏

Hi Jenny and others, I had fervently looked forward to walking VdLP this spring, but it looks like I am going to have to put it off, too. Not only does the pandemic make things uncertain, but my home situation does. We might be moving this spring. There is still a chance we will be in Spain though, as my daughter is filming a movie (via the BBC) outside of Barcelona hopefully this spring. If things go ahead, we might try to fly out and see her there.
Still have the VdLP on my dream list, and I'm not giving up on it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bon Chemin

Hopefully we will be able to go from Western Australia. I'm booked for after Easter and still hoping . 🙏

Hopefully we will be able to go from Western Australia. I'm booked for after Easter and still hoping . 🙏
Me too @camino07 - I’m still hoping as well. My bookings are all well in place and it would be so disappointing not to go. I’m making the call on it all early March.

Jenny - it’s completely understandable that you’ve made this decision. The walks in France, plus your family time, will all be wonderful, as will your time in the Basque region.

Cheers from the NSW South Coast -

Jenny

Me too @camino07 - I’m still hoping as well. My bookings are all well in place and it would be so disappointing not to go. I’m making the call on it all early March.

Jenny - it’s completely understandable that you’ve made this decision. The walks in France, plus your family time, will all be wonderful, as will your time in the Basque region.

Jenny
Thank you Jenny - and fingers and toes crossed for you too. See you soon. x

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Jenny
Just cancelled the Scottish part of my trip . I think it will be bad enough going to one country during such high numbers of covid. Being a covid virgin from WA ,I'm a bit nervous to throw myself in to it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just cancelled the Scottish part of my trip . I think it will be bad enough going to one country during such high numbers of covid. Being a covid virgin from WA ,I'm a bit nervous to throw myself in to it.

W.A. as in Western Australia or Washington State or somewhere else, Western Antartica?

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back