• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata, April 2022 - to the Sanabrés, or Astorga?

• Thread starter Former member 31048
  • Start date
F

Former member 31048

Hola peregrinos

I have a question. Our ideal is to walk from Merida to SdeC. However, we are a little pressed for time (30 days) and, unlike most of our caminos when we haven't taken any days in major towns, I'm keen to have a day in Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora - and maybe Oursense.

I'm also keen to keep distances to around 25, though a few 30s are fine. @linkster very kindly sent me his amazing spreadsheet which I'm adapting for our purposes. That, together with the virtual planning gives me lots of information about staging - but i'm still a few days short.

I am wondering if the simplest way to finesse the days could be to start walking from Caceres rather than Merida. We have been to Merida (at end of Mozarabe) and loved it but would be ok if we found we were unable to return this time.

While I hate the idea of 'missing' that first section between Merida and Caceres, any thoughts on this solution would be appreciated?

Another less appealing option would be to finish in Ourense.

Thanking you in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola peregrinos

I have a question. Our ideal is to walk from Merida to SdeC. However, we are a little pressed for time (30 days) and, unlike most of our caminos when we haven't taken any days in major towns, I'm keen to have a day in Caceres, Salamanca, Zamora - and maybe Oursense.

I'm also keen to keep distances to around 25, though a few 30s are fine. @linkster very kindly sent me his amazing spreadsheet which I'm adapting for our purposes. That, together with the virtual planning gives me lots of information about staging - but i'm still a few days short.

I am wondering if the simplest way to finesse the days could be to start walking from Caceres rather than Merida. We have been to Merida (at end of Mozarabe) and loved it but would be ok if we found we were unable to return this time.

While I hate the idea of 'missing' that first section between Merida and Caceres, any thoughts on this solution would be appreciated?

Hi Jenny
I really hope you don’t drop the section from Mérida.

IF you’re prepared to lose a section - then look at the stages after Salamanca. The stage from Salamanca to El Cubo in particular. I would though, encourage you to ‘walk into ‘ Zamora. It’s a beautiful entry. IMO it’s the most picturesque entry on the ‘Vdlp’ . I can’t speak for after Tábara (on Sanabres variant ) as I have to return there to complete to sdc myself .
I can’t rave enough about the rest of the way from Sevilla to that point (with exception of some 20 odd klms after Salamanca, before you hit El Cubo.
Maybe your idea of finishing in Ourense might solve your dilemma 😃 and can return to finish at leisure without stressing about missing any of it.

I’ll be interested in what you decide.
Ps. I’ve been looking for airfares from Sydney too (trying to be prepared for when/if they open international borders for us from Oz /nsw looks to be first out the gate?! I’ll have to wait until more reasonable fares are posted & I’ll be interested in what you find in that respect.

Buen camino
Annie

Edit: walking into Mérida is pretty special too.
Vdlp has so much going for it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie and I were writing at the same time. You can see that we weren't consulting with each other. Good luck with making a decision! While I would agree that the day after Salamanca was not the most scenic, I then had two glorious days into Zamora.

Attachments

• 20170411_152549.jpg
    20170411_152549.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
@OzAnnie and @C clearly - thank you both very much. That gives me food for thought. And I will definitely not miss walking into Zamora. Thank you for,the tip.

I would really prefer not to drop any section - and we initially chose to begin in Merida as a continuation from our Mozarabe Way.

I’m sure I will keep revisiting in coming days and weeks. Maybe I have to solve the problem from another direction and find a few extra days. Hhmmm

As well as walking in Spain we will be spending some weeks either side in France with Domi’s girls and grandchildren whom we will not have seen for more than two years. 😢 So that is also a big priority.

@OzAnnie I’m cautiously optimistic that fares will come down a few months after travel opens up and supply and demand are more stable. Hope I’m right! Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your input. 🙏

Sorry me again. Regarding time in towns - and given that we are not very good tourists - we sometimes just try to make sure we have a short day in or out - so we have half a day to explore.

Perhaps this is sufficient for one or more of Caceres, Zamora, Ourense? Definitely not Salamanca from what I’ve read.

Happy for any advice …. Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Perhaps this is sufficient for one or more of Caceres, Zamora, Ourense? Definitely not Salamanca from what I’ve read.
Of those towns, the only one I have visited is Salamanca, and I would agree that it is worth more than a half day visit.

@AJGuillaume It occurs to me that perhaps I should be asking these questions on a separate thread. I don’t want to ‘clog up’ your virtual planning thread.

@C clearly - as a moderator, let me know if this discussion is ok,here. Thank you

Hi Jenny
I really hope you don’t drop the section from Mérida.

IF you’re prepared to lose a section - then look at the stages after Salamanca. The stage from Salamanca to El Cubo in particular. I would though, encourage you to ‘walk into ‘ Zamora. It’s a beautiful entry. IMO it’s the most picturesque entry on the ‘Vdlp’ . I can’t speak for after Tábara (on Sanabres variant ) as I have to return there to complete to sdc myself .
I can’t rave enough about the rest of the way from Sevilla to that point (with exception of some 20 odd klms after Salamanca, before you hit El Cubo.
Maybe your idea of finishing in Ourense might solve your dilemma 😃 and can return to finish at leisure without stressing about missing any of it.

I’ll be interested in what you decide.
Ps. I’ve been looking for airfares from Sydney too (trying to be prepared for when/if they open international borders for us from Oz /nsw looks to be first out the gate?! I’ll have to wait until more reasonable fares are posted & I’ll be interested in what you find in that respect.

Buen camino
Annie

Edit: walking into Mérida is pretty special too.
Vdlp has so much going for it.
Hi Annie and Jenny -

Hopefully it won’t be too long before the Earlybird fares are available - fingers crossed.

I hope to sit down with our local Flight Centre people as soon as they re-open and look at options.

I plan to start walking (with Spot, my trailer) from Seville on Easter Tuesday, 19 April - I’ll be spending Easter there - with all the Easter celebrations it’s going to be really special. Thanks to Booking.com I have my hotel booked - first item now ticked off the list!

Buen 2022 Camino to all of us!

Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fantastic @JennyH94 isn’t it wonderful to be planning again.

Actually some comments in the posts from @OzAnnie and @C clearly have got me thinking about a different approach. We had been focused on VdeP from Merida and then Sanabres on to SdeC

But now I’m thinking maybe just VdeP from Seville to Astorga. And leave the Sanabres until another time. We have walked in to SdeC many times so that is not a critical part of this Camino for us.

I’ll have to check back to the stages again but I’m pretty sure our 30 days will be enough time for Seville to Astorga. And I do like to start at the start and end at the end of each path.

🙏

Hi Annie and Jenny -

Hopefully it won’t be too long before the Earlybird fares are available - fingers crossed.

I hope to sit down with our local Flight Centre people as soon as they re-open and look at options.

I plan to start walking (with Spot, my trailer) from Seville on Easter Tuesday, 19 April - I’ll be spending Easter there - with all the Easter celebrations it’s going to be really special. Thanks to Booking.com I have my hotel booked - first item now ticked off the list!

Jenny
I would have put muchos corazones ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ to your response @JennyH94
You have given we ozzies inspiration that ‘it will happen’. .. having read that you’ve booked your accommodation. Easter in Sevilla wow. You’re starting off in spectacular form.
Buen camino. (Yes - to all of us hopefully).
Annie

Wow, Easter in Seville will be wonderful I’m sure. It’s such a fabulous town. Good idea to have booked your room.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Annie and Jenny -

Jenny
Very exciting !
I’m wondering whether to start early April or wait until after Easter.
Either way I can’t wait.

Buen Camino

Actually some comments in the posts from @OzAnnie and @C clearly have got me thinking about a different approach. We had been focused on VdeP from Merida and then Sanabres on to SdeC

But now I’m thinking maybe just VdeP from Seville to Astorga. And leave the Sanabres until another time. We have walked in to SdeC many times so that is not a critical part of this Camino for us.

I’ll have to check back to the stages again but I’m pretty sure our 30 days will be enough time for Seville to Astorga. And I do like to start at the start and end at the end of each path.

🙏
Cheers @Jenny@zen! To have some hope that we can be back on camino is a wonderful feeling.

Your revised plan to finish in Astorga is a terrific plan - it gives you both a sense of completion whereas the other options don’t.

And to finish your camino in the Chocolate Capital of Spain has to be the best decision!

Cheers -

Jenny

I would have put muchos corazones ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ to your response @JennyH94
You have given we ozzies inspiration that ‘it will happen’. .. having read that you’ve booked your accommodation. Easter in Sevilla wow. You’re starting off in spectacular form.
Buen camino. (Yes - to all of us hopefully).
Annie
Thanks so much Annie! I’m already there in my heart!
I’m looking forward to catching up with you soon.
Xxx Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@AJGuillaume It occurs to me that perhaps I should be asking these questions on a separate thread. I don’t want to ‘clog up’ your virtual planning thread.

@C clearly - as a moderator, let me know if this discussion is ok,here. Thank you
I started a new thread, so it can be more personal and focused on Jenny's plans.

Very exciting !
I’m wondering whether to start early April or wait until after Easter.
Either way I can’t wait.

Buen Camino
Hi @Babyboomergirl - I gave it a ton of thought and have read heaps of VDLP blogs, Andrew’s brilliant VDLP thread and a couple of books on the VDLP. The 19 April start date I chose was to do with the weather and Easter. I’m miserable with the cold weather and cope better with warmer conditions, plus I wanted to be in a major city, with all the associated amenities that city brings, over Easter. I didn’t want to risk being somewhere where the shops, restaurants etc might be closed and so I figured being in a big city would probably be the best bet. Also, I imagine the Easter celebrations in Seville are going to be spectacular and very special so to be a part of that is going to be wonderful.

Good luck with your decision as to timing. Go with whatever feels the best for you - what sits well ... that date will come to you!

Like you, I too can’t wait!

Cheers from Sydney -
Jenny

I started a new thread, so it can be more personal and focused on Jenny's plans.
Thanks so much @C clearly - this makes a lot of sense as others can chime in with their dates.

I’m getting the feeling that the VDLP next Spring is going to be busier than anticipated. There’s a lot of interest out there ...

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But now I’m thinking maybe just VdeP from Seville to Astorga. And leave the Sanabres until another time.
I like that idea. It is what I did in March-April 2017 when I didn't have time to go all the way to Santiago. It felt like a "complete" trip. I got to Salamanca on Palm Sunday, and walked throughout Semana Santa. You can read my blog here. [Edited to fix link, but you'll need to scroll to the bottom of that page and then click on "Older posts" to get to the start]

I wasn't sure if I would make it all the way to Astorga in 31 days, but I did - no rest days, but otherwise not a hard pace. I had only 1 day over 30 km. (I also took a taxi part way on the day into Almadén de la Plata.) If you want to do some sightseeing in the cities, you might need to scrape up some half days here and there. Or take an extra day in Salamanca and bus ahead a day or two after Salamanca or after Zamora. I'm not sure if there is lodging any more in Alija del Infantado. If not, you might need to get a taxi out of Benavente in order to get to La Bañeza in one day.

I am hoping to walk the Sanabres in April 2022. I would travel to Zamora and then consider taxi or bus to Montamarta to save a day and start walking from there.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good ideas. I’m happy to take a bus/ taxi if necessary to make the 30 days work. I think I used to be a purist with the walking thing. But in recent years, I’ve let that fall away - particularly if long stretches of road walking are involved. E.g. on the Salvador, we decided to take a bus on the last day - the choice between walking beside the road for most of the way or enjoying that day in beautiful Oviedo was not a difficult one 🤣

🙏
I am thinking the same for my VdlP in March: but Merida to Astorga. Keep in touch re. planning.. I will be just ahead of you, so can also give you info. as I go! Can't wait.

A great idea!
We were in Seville in February 2019, and we loved it. In front of the cathedral, we saw this:
IMG_20190212_140921.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Babyboomergirl - I gave it a ton of thought and have read heaps of VDLP blogs, Andrew’s brilliant VDLP thread and a couple of books on the VDLP. The 19 April start date I chose was to do with the weather and Easter. I’m miserable with the cold weather and cope better with warmer conditions, plus I wanted to be in a major city, with all the associated amenities that city brings, over Easter. I didn’t want to risk being somewhere where the shops, restaurants etc might be closed and so I figured being in a big city would probably be the best bet. Also, I imagine the Easter celebrations in Seville are going to be spectacular and very special so to be a part of that is going to be wonderful.

Good luck with your decision as to timing. Go with whatever feels the best for you - what sits well ... that date will come to you!

Like you, I too can’t wait!

Cheers from Sydney -
Jenny
Thanks @JennyH94 ,

I had shelved my planning for another Camino with all the uncertainty of when our international borders will open and the availability of affordable flights.
We have been Covid free in Perth but that has meant locked interstate borders with no end in sight.
However I am now finally feeling hopeful that will change by April next year.

I walk with my husband ( who also doesn’t like the cold weather ) and we want to visit our daughter and grandsons in the UK before travelling to Spain.
They had a holiday in Asturias in August and sadly we were unable to join them.
Our daughter is also keen to walk a section with us so that is something else for me to consider.

For now I am happy to be gathering information and feeling optimistic.

I’ll be enthusiastically following all these threads 😊

Also, I imagine the Easter celebrations in Seville are going to be spectacular and very special so to be a part of that is going to be wonderful.
Yes, they are indeed spectacular! It will be interesting to see how it is all managed in (still) Covid times but hopefully you have an amazing experience.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seville is the first city on the VdlP, so a good place to start. We walked from there in 2015 starting in April. Even in May and June, it was often cold in Galicia but hot in Estremadura, warm in Andalucía and mild in Castille y Léon so heading for Astorga sounds like a plan - the spring follows you as you head north, I liked Ourense, but it's not everyone's favourite - a commercial/industrial city. All the other cities you mention are not to be missed. There are one or two longish (30km +/-) days on the Plata, but I think that is part of the magic - you have a real feeling that you are walking across the heart of Spain.

DSCN1142.JPG

As for airfares, all I've read in the media suggests that once the floodgates, sorry, borders, are open, air travel will get competitive i.e. relatively cheap. I hope they're right because if they are. we'll be heading for Alicante to start the Lana.

Thanks @JennyH94 ,

I had shelved my planning for another Camino with all the uncertainty of when our international borders will open and the availability of affordable flights.
We have been Covid free in Perth but that has meant locked interstate borders with no end in sight.
However I am now finally feeling hopeful that will change by April next year.

I walk with my husband ( who also doesn’t like the cold weather ) and we want to visit our daughter and grandsons in the UK before travelling to Spain.
They had a holiday in Asturias in August and sadly we were unable to join them.
Our daughter is also keen to walk a section with us so that is something else for me to consider.

For now I am happy to be gathering information and feeling optimistic.

I’ll be enthusiastically following all these threads 😊
Hi Babyboomergirl
I'm also from Perth and hope to spend next Easter in Scotland visiting family before starting my third time from Seville, probably the Wednesday or Thursday after Easter. Looks like there will be quite a few Aussies on the Via next April. Here's hoping .

As for airfares, all I've read in the media suggests that once the floodgates, sorry, borders, are open, air travel will get competitive i.e. relatively cheap. I hope they're right because if they are. we'll be heading for Alicante to start the Lana
I’m also looking at a late April Lana from Alicante. Lucky for me the airfare is only €50 from Lisbon! ;)

€46,-
Hi Babyboomergirl
I'm also from Perth and hope to spend next Easter in Scotland visiting family before starting my third time from Seville, probably the Wednesday or Thursday after Easter. Looks like there will be quite a few Aussies on the Via next April. Here's hoping .
Yes they might be surprised how many Australians are there walking next year.
Perhaps we’ll cross paths along the way 😊

…………….once the floodgates are open..
Spot on! We Ozzies will all be ‘champing at the bit’ waiting for the start to be called.

@Babyboomergirl & @camino07
I’m hoping WA can give you hope that they will open borders internationally soon, so that you can make serious plans.

@JennyH94 - re Semana Santa on Vdlp.
I left Sevilla before it started in 2019 but the parades (at least pre-Covid) occur in most places you walk through. I really enjoyed Semana Santa in Mérida in particular but I managed to enjoy it in other villages too.

Weather/temperatures
I left Sevilla apr7 2019 and had wonderful walking weather.
In 2020 (squeezing a bit of the Camino de Levante in before Spain’s state of emergency) I left Toledo on March 5…. The weather was great then too. I prefer it cooler and get warm as I walk.

@jungleboy & @dick bird
The Lana sounds a real treat too. I envy you.

Buen camino everyone
Annie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spot on! We Ozzies will all be ‘champing at the bit’ waiting for the start to be called.

re Semana Santa on Vdlp.
I left Sevilla before it started in 2019 but the parades (at least pre-Covid) occur in most places you walk through. I really enjoyed Semana Santa in Mérida in particular but I managed to enjoy it in other villages too.

Weather/temperatures
I left Sevilla apr7 2019 and had wonderful walking weather.
In 2020 (squeezing a bit of the Camino de Levante in before Spain’s state of emergency) I left Toledo on March 5…. The weather was great then too. I prefer it cooler and get warm as I walk.

Buen camino everyone
Annie
Muchas gracias Annie. V happy with that weather for an early April start. And will be fun to enjoy Semana Santa - by tomorrow I should have worked out where I’ll be from 10-17 April. Think I’ll book ahead for that . 😎

I think it’s a great idea to start new threads with specific questions like these, because searching is easier and the discussion is more focused.

I wanted to emphasize and strongly endorse the recommendation not to skip Mérida to Cáceres. That part of the Vdlp takes in a lot of the dehesa, which is a specific term that doesn’t translate well into English (”grassland” just doesn’t do it justice) but is stunning in springtime. Lots of huge boulders, scrub oak trees, meadows filled with little flowers, jara flower bushes everywhere. I once came upon a Dutch peregrino after Aljucén in the early morning who had literally been moved to tears by the beauty of it all. And it sounds like you will be there in springtime, perfect. And if you like the old churches, I’ve already given one shout out today for a detour to Santa Lucía del Trampal, but it is an amazing church and makes for a nice day from Aljucén to Alcuéscar.

In terms of the cities you go through, I think that Cáceres is one that is easy to see and enjoy in an afternoon. There are really no major monuments to see, but the historic Renaissance core is a wonderful place to spend some time just walking, sitting, savoring. As is the Plaza Mayor. Ourense is another half-day-visit, IMO. The pórtico of the cathedral is very nice, probably done by a disciple of Maestro Mateo (Pórtico de la Gloria), and taking a little chug chug tourist train out to the public baths is fun too. For me, at least a full day in Zamora and Salamanca would be the way to go.

Enjoy the planning, @Jenny@zen!

Thanks so much Laurie. Yes I suggested to CC that my questions might be better off on a separate thread so as not to clog,up,the fabulous VdeP virtual planning thread. And I guess she pushed a few buttons and sprinkled some fairy dust and voila … 🙏

Thanks to today’s discussion, we have now decided that Seville to Astorga is the way to go for us. I’m v excited and happy with this choice. As I said in an earlier thread I do like to start at the start … Domi too. We love Seville and Merida, so it’s a bonus to visit those towns again as part of this Camino

I appreciate your guidance re the other city visits. I’m sure I can work,our staging to manage a day in Salamanca and Zamora and a half day in Caceres.

It will also be fun to revisit Astorga. I haven’t walked the Frances since 2013.

So thanks again to all who have been part of this conversation 🙏

P.S. and we won’t have to skip anything between Merida and Caceres, which sounds magical.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola peregrinos

Thanking you in advance.
It’s a really hard one. I would rather do less kms and enjoy the Camino more than having to rush it. Having said that I loved the walk into Merida, Caceres and Zamora. Interestingly I love Salamanca but the walk-in was pretty ordinary. We walked from Seville to SDCP in 2019 via Sanabres and loved it, people who I met who went onto Astorga instead found it even more remote with few services available and at times no accommodation. If I had to I would probably give a miss to the walk out of Zamora to the beginning of Sanabres to me this was the least appealing part.

Thank you @Sandra Riordan. I appreciate your reply

We’re now decided to stay in the VdeP and walk Sevilla to Astorga which I’m v happy about - and unlikely we will need to miss anything. The Sanabres will have to wait until,another time. 😌

Though after VdeP I’m betting the Piemonte will be next. We also love to walk in France

€46,-
Loving this 'Aussie' VdlP thread! I have an annual Anzac Day commitment, and am hoping for a 26 April 2022 departure from Brisbane and walk Seville to Salamanca, and complete to SdC in 2023.
So far I've been finding Qantas/Emirates fares for under $2000 and BA for under $1500.
Welcome Graeme - great to be planning isn’t it!

We are in Pretty Beach north of Sydney. Most of my family is in Brisbane (my home town) and Domi’s are in France. Re lockdowns etc, we joke (but only half joking) that we may get to France (and Spain) before we are able to go to Queensland! Hope that’s not the case 😌

Gosh, there are so many Aussies planning on the VDLP for next March / April departures, I'm going to brush up on our de-facto national anthem song, Waltzing Matilda. :)

The only, apart from Government stay where you are in Australia orders, caveat is whether or not travel insurance includes covid medical expenses coverage for the fully vaccinated.

Not sure I'd want to chance potentially large medical bills if covid is an exclusion.

Have any of you booked your airfares yet?

HI @Walton

I haven't booked fares - I'm not even looking too much at the moment. My expectation (based on nothing) is that once there is a firm date for our international border to open (at least from some states), there will be more flights both ways and after a while fares will stabilise. And hopefully all those who have been 'stranded' will be able to get back to see their loved ones soon after - at a reasonable cost and with home rather than hotel quarantine.

As we have not been able to visit our French family in almost two years - or travel anywhere much for that matter - I am intending to splurge on a non-economy flight. At least that's my idea - I guess I'll have to wait and see what that is likely to cost!

Also haven't looked into medical insurance yet but ... I'm an optimist.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes they might be surprised how many Australians are there walking next year.
Perhaps we’ll cross paths along the way 😊
I'm jealous, when we walked VDLP in 2019 we did not see 1 Australian let alone anyone from Tassie. We are looking forward to walking in 2022 as well but will be walking Norte again but this time continuing on the coast from Ribadeo on the Ruta do Mar, then Camino dos Faros and finally from Finisterre into Santiago. Also hoping to walk in Germany on the Camino Mosel. Let's just hope all opens up in Australia and espically down here.

Wow, what a great thread and this is really giving me hope that we can get out of Perth in April 2022 to walk VdlP. Easter in Seville sounds wonderful So hoping that this will become a reality. always great to meet up with some Aussies.

Yes, we are having a bit of fun on this thread - and discovered that there are many Australians interested in the VdlP. And my plans are coming along nicely ...

But if you are considering the VdelP and/or Sanabres, I highly recommend the Virtual Plan put together by @AJGuillaume and others - which is really quite a major work! An incredible amount of information and observations, put together with a great spirit. This is the forum at its best, in my view.

This thread started there - but I didn't want my questions to clog up this thread, so @C clearly kindly started this new one.

Enjoy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gosh, there are so many Aussies planning on the VDLP for next March / April departures, I'm going to brush up on our de-facto national anthem song, Waltzing Matilda. :)

The only, apart from Government stay where you are in Australia orders, caveat is whether or not travel insurance includes covid medical expenses coverage for the fully vaccinated.

Not sure I'd want to chance potentially large medical bills if covid is an exclusion.

Have any of you booked your airfares yet?
Hi Walton -

I’m tempted to book an airfare now, as, on an initial search last week I found JAL and ANA have some pretty good online deals at the moment but as I commented above, I think I’ll wait until our local Flight Centre opens next month and have a chat with them about options. Hopefully by then there’ll be some Earlybird fares available. Also they’ll be able to give some travel insurance information - crikey, it’s anyone’s guess what’s going to be included in these policies! My guess it’s going to be what’s not included that’s going to be really important!

Cheers from Sydney -

Jenny

And a PS - my de facto Aussie national anthem is the Burke’s Backyard theme! @OzAnnie and I know someone who comes to our Sydney Camino group meetings who actually sang it at the Parocchial albergue in Bercianos! It got a great reception but the Italians, who sang ‘Volare’ that particular night, did even better!

As a complete beginner in September 2013, we had planned to start our first camino in Avila, towards the end of the Levante. So across to the Via de la Plata and then onto the Sanabres. We met hardly any other peregrinos, had plenty of space in all of the Junta albergue. I came back to Sydney carrying about half of our estimated costs. We spent a spare day in Zamora and decided for the Sanabres then detoured to Cea to stay a night in the monastery and attend the services, to be offered breakfast with the monks.
Haven't been able to get out of here for a couple of years, and now too old and crocked to go back to Spain. I'd go back in a twinkling of an eye, if I could. The Sanabres was a delight.

Attachments

• 2013-10-12 12.31.27.jpg
    2013-10-12 12.31.27.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Hi Walton -

I’m tempted to book an airfare now, as, on an initial search last week I found JAL and ANA have some pretty good online deals at the moment but as I commented above, I think I’ll wait until our local Flight Centre opens next month and have a chat with them about options. Hopefully by then there’ll be some Earlybird fares available. Also they’ll be able to give some travel insurance information - crikey, it’s anyone’s guess what’s going to be included in these policies! My guess it’s going to be what’s not included that’s going to be really important!

Cheers from Sydney -

Jenny

And a PS - my de facto Aussie national anthem is the Burke’s Backyard theme! @OzAnnie and I know someone who comes to our Sydney Camino group meetings who actually sang it at the Parocchial albergue in Bercianos! It got a great reception but the Italians, who sang ‘Volare’ that particular night, did even better!
I'm also tempted to book but with Qatar ,my agent has assured me they will change the dates if necessary .
My favourite cities are Salamanca and Caceres ,after Seville of course.

Fingers crossed from WA

Hola peregrinos

Thanking you in advance.
I agree with c clearly about having continuity. Also I think starting in Caceres would take the pressure off of your time constraints. I am starting from Sevilla in 10 days and intend to walk to SDC on the Sanabres. I have walked the CF 3 times and would much prefer to experience a new camino. Also after the peace and solitude that I am looking forward to on the VDLP I would prefer to continue it on the Sanabres. Going to Astorga and rejoining the CF would be a shock to the system even if it was winter. But whichever you choose, I doubt if you can go wrong either way.

Thank you. I know what you mean about the 'shock' of the Frances - it is a shock even though you know it's coming. I have walked the Frances twice in relatively quieter times - 2011 and 2013. And since then we have crossed the Frances a few times in recent years at the end of other paths.

As we only have 30 days, something has to give. If we go with our current plan of Seville to Astorga - which I think we can manage in 30 days (inc a day in both Salamanca and Zamora) - we will be finishing in Astorga - and from there make our way back to family in Paris. I haven't been to Astorga since 2013, but I recall it is a lovely town. So we won't be walking on the Frances.

We don't feel any particular need to go to SdeC this time (though we may well go by train from Astorga to fly out from there). I think the Sanabres will have to wait for now.

Will all that said - nothing is set in stone. I'm heading down one path at the moment (already a change from the original), but that could easily change. It's happened before

Muchas gracias.

Yeah! We have been anticipating border opening and tempted to ‘pop over’ to France for Xmas to see Domi’s girls and grandchildren … but think that will all be a bit fraught so we will be patient and go in March. We plan a couple of weeks in France each side of the VdeP to see our French family and friends. My two favourite ‘other’ countries 🇫🇷 🇪🇸

Loving this 'Aussie' VdlP thread! I have an annual Anzac Day commitment, and am hoping for a 26 April 2022 departure from Brisbane and walk Seville to Salamanca, and complete to SdC in 2023.
So far I've been finding Qantas/Emirates fares for under $2000 and BA for under $1500.

Jeez, I fly halfway around the World to walk a remote Camino and soak up the local culture.
Only to be surrounded by all my darn neighbours! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Robo That got me thinking - on my first Camino Francés in October 2011 I didn’t meet any Australians and only one or two the second time 18 months later. And, none on my third - the Le Puy in 2014 or the Primitivo the same year. And I was mostly staying in albergues back then.

Since then we have mostly taken paths less travelled but I know that Australians are out there in numbers - we just haven’t come across them in person - other than one, Anthony from Melbourne, on the Madrid Way.

But looks like this might change with the Via de la Plata. We plan to start from Seville on 1 April - maybe we’ll see some of you on the track 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
@Robo That got me thinking - on my first Camino Francés in October 2011 I didn’t meet any Australians and only one or two the second time 18 months later. And, none on my third - the Le Puy in 2014 or the Primitivo the same year. And I was mostly staying in albergues back then.

Since then we have mostly taken paths less travelled but I know that Australians are out there in numbers - we just haven’t come across them in person - other than one, Anthony from Melbourne, on the Madrid Way.

But looks like this might change with the Via de la Plata. We plan to start from Seville on 1 April - maybe we’ll see some of you on the track 😎

On my first Camino I think I had met 27 Ozzies by Day Three :rolleyes:

They are very much out there :oops:

When we walked in 2018 from Switzerland to SdC, we met our first Aussie at the Ferme Bohoteguia before arriving at SJPdP, on day 73. ☺️
And then, when we joined the Francés from the Norte, before Outeiro, we met a couple from Albury, who turned out to be mutual friends of a peregrina who came from Rutherglen and had just finished the Francés. Small world!

They are very much out there :oops:
I have no facts to support this or, as a poster on another thread said - and I like it - ‘this is a fact free post’’

Theory: But my sense is that numbers of non-European pilgrims started going through the roof around 2014 - due in part to release of The Way - though that was a few years earlier I believe, you’d imagine there would be a natural lag between watching a movie and heading out the door to Spain.

Fact: When I reached SJPP at the end of Le Puy (late April 2014) i was amazed at how many pilgrims were there compared to when I was there just 12 months earlier. Luckily my friend Pierre who owns the hiking store in SJPP had been following my blog. When I was a few days out he sent me a message about shortage of beds in SJPP and, as I hadn’t booked anything, he kindly offered to find me a room. Even as a local it took him some ringing around. I was v grateful 😊

We didn’t meet many Australians on our previous caminos either so this one might be very different.
I’ve just tentatively looked at return flights to London ( so we can visit family first ) and very tempted to book.
Just need to work out timing around Easter with a start date around April 8th or immediately after Easter.
So excited !

We didn’t meet many Australians on our previous caminos either so this one might be very different.
I’ve just tentatively looked at return flights to London ( so we can visit family first ) and very tempted to book.
Just need to work out timing around Easter with a start date around April 8th or immediately after Easter.
So excited !
Woo hoo! Sorry we probably won’t get to meet you … I have this thing about starting on the 1st of the month when we can. I don’t think it’s superstition - so much as making it easy to remember what day we are on! That doesn’t make a lot of sense - even to me. But there it is! 😎

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Woo hoo! Sorry we probably won’t get to meet you … I have this thing about starting on the 1st of the month when we can. I don’t think it’s superstition - so much as making it easy to remember what day we are on! That doesn’t make a lot of sense - even to me. But there it is! 😎
Yes I think starting on the 1st makes sense and probably would too if not for timing with the UK school holidays.
The great thing about following you a week later is you can provide updates on accomodation options 😊

Yes I think starting on the 1st makes sense and probably would too if not for timing with the UK school holidays.
The great thing about following you a week later is you can provide updates on accomodation options 😊
Will be happy to pass on Intel from further up the track. But we are ‘bad’ pilgrims these days. I find it v hard to sleep in dorms so in recent years we have taken private rooms as much as possible - preferably within an albergue when available and, if not, in a hostal or casa. Exceptions for a few ‘iconic’ albergues in convents, monasteries etc.

On VdeP accomodation options can be a bit limited at best of times from what I’ve read - so I imagine we will be booking most of ours ahead where we can. We have only 30 days so not a lot of flexibility. And factoring in Semana Santa as well.

Bad pilgrims 😎

But we are ‘bad’ pilgrims these days. I find it v hard to sleep in dorms so in recent years we have taken private rooms as much as possible - preferably within an albergue when available and, if not, in a hostal or casa.
Nothing 'bad' about sleeping in private accommodation ;)😄
When we walked 2178 km from Switzerland to SdC in 2018, we mainly stayed in private accommodation, as my wife was recovering from cancer, and she needed the advantages provided by private accommodation.

Nothing 'bad' about sleeping in private accommodation ;)😄
When we walked 2178 km from Switzerland to SdC in 2018, we mainly stayed in private accommodation, as my wife was recovering from cancer, and she needed the advantages provided by private accommodation.
Agreed, it’s just my idea of a joke because of some commentary you see about booking ahead vs winging it. My first four Caminos I barely booked at all - and would love to have that freedom - but that’s becoming less and less practical now., at least for me. My husband Dominique would be happy to wing it, sleep in dorms or on a park bench if he had to - but not if it makes me uncomfortable / exhausted 😎

PS. That’s a very long walk. How wonderful 😍

Will be happy to pass on Intel from further up the track. But we are ‘bad’ pilgrims these days. I find it v hard to sleep in dorms so in recent years we have taken private rooms as much as possible - preferably within an albergue when available and, if not, in a hostal or casa. Exceptions for a few ‘iconic’ albergues in convents, monasteries etc.

On VdeP accomodation options can be a bit limited at best of times from what I’ve read - so I imagine we will be booking most of ours ahead where we can. We have only 30 days so not a lot of flexibility. And factoring in Semana Santa as well.

Bad pilgrims 😎
Haha we are ”bad pilgrims” too then as we also prefer private rooms.

Sanabres! One of my favorite towns was Puebla de Sanabres- a must see! Farther south, Hervas is another gem near the Extremadora-Castilla y Leon border (slightly off the trail).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sanabres! One of my favorite towns was Puebla de Sanabres- a must see! Farther south, Hervas is another gem near the Extremadora-Castilla y Leon border (slightly off the trail).
Hi @lunna.

Funny that I should wake up this morning to your comment … Our revised plan has been Seville to Astorga (due to time limits) but just last night - having reached the later stages of the virtual planning thread of @AJGuillaume and others - I thought of another idea which is to walk from Seville to Puebla de Sanabres - it sounded like a wonderful town and might be a fine place to finish for now.

Any thoughts welcome. 🙏

PS. A bonus would be to enjoy a visit to Me Gusta, not that we would change course just for a fabulous meal!

Hi @lunna.

Funny that I should wake up this morning to your comment … Our revised plan has been Seville to Astorga (due to time limits) but just last night - having reached the later stages of the virtual planning thread of @AJGuillaume and others - I thought of another idea which is to walk from Seville to Puebla de Sanabres - it sounded like a wonderful town and might be a fine place to finish for now.

Any thoughts welcome. 🙏

PS. A bonus would be to enjoy a visit to Me Gusta, not that we would change course just for a fabulous meal!
Just one - go for it!

Hi @lunna.

Any thoughts welcome. 🙏

Right now I would be happy to fly from here in Australia just for another fantastic meal experience at 'me gusta comer'!!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @lunna.

Any thoughts welcome. 🙏

Yes I’m revising my plans too.
We were originally hoping to walk from Seville to Santiago in 2020 but now that we are also factoring a visit to family in the UK first ( after not seeing them for 2 years ) and possible quarantine back in Perth afterwards we will have less walking time 😞
Yesterday I was looking at Camino Madrid as an alternative or Invierno but still think I’d like to start the VdlP and walk as far as we can in 3 - 4 weeks with a few rest days in the more interesting towns.
Open to suggestions 🙏🏻

@Babyboomergirl

We walked the Camino de Madrid in September 2018 - LOVED IT! Link to my blog below.

When we reached Sahagun we walked 'in reverse' on the Frances and spent a wonderful night at Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. We walked back to Sahagun the next day and that afternoon a train to Leon. Then the Salvador to Oviedo. I guess the Madrid Way doesn't have the drawcard towns - but SEGOVIA.

We've also walked the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida where it links with the VdeP - so that's another possibility. Re both Madrid Way and Mozarabe - weather is a consideration if you're heading into warmer months. Mozarabe in May was pretty hot.

Camino Madrid blog

@Babyboomergirl

We walked the Camino de Madrid in September 2018 - LOVED IT! Link to my blog below.

When we reached Sahagun we walked 'in reverse' on the Frances and spent a wonderful night at Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos. We walked back to Sahagun the next day and that afternoon a train to Leon. Then the Sanabres to Oviedo. I guess the Madrid Way doesn't have the drawcard towns - but SEGOVIA.

We've also walked the Mozarabe from Granada to Merida where it links with the VdeP - so that's another possibility. Re both Madrid Way and Mozarabe - weather is a consideration if you're heading into warmer months. Mozarabe in May was pretty hot.

Camino Madrid blog
Thank you @Jenny@zen .
I will read your blog and am still working my way through the virtual VdlP by @AJGuillaume .
Spending a lot of time Camino dreaming now - so many choices !

Thank you @Jenny@zen .
I will read your blog and am still working my way through the virtual VdlP by @AJGuillaume .
Spending a lot of time Camino dreaming now - so many choices !
pS. Regarding draw card towns, if the Mozarabe is under consideration now or in the future …
Granada, Cordoba, Merida. wow, wow, wow. We began in Granada, But depending on available time, you can begin before Granada, and you can continue from Merida where Mozarabe meets the VdeP

Sorry me again. Regarding time in towns - and given that we are not very good tourists - we sometimes just try to make sure we have a short day in or out - so we have half a day to explore.

Happy for any advice …. Thank you
Maybe Ourense could be a1/2 day visit. Zamora and Caceres I found way more interesting. But then the day and a half I was in Ourense it was pouring rain and continued to rain until I got to Santiago. The only rain on the whole trip from Seville. Whatever you do, you will be fine.

Thank you @Dorothy Anderson Our plan is coming together and we are most likely going to start in Seville so in the time available we won’t make it as far as Ourense.

Thank you @Dorothy Anderson Our plan is coming together and we are most likely going to start in Seville so in the time available we won’t make it as far as Ourense.
Just another thought — since you are not going to be able to finish the Sanabrés, maybe you want to leave that “whole camino” for another day. Would it be interesting to explore the options of walking a few days from Zamora on the Zamorano Portugues? 6 days from Zamora can either take you to Puebla de Sanabria on the Sanabrés or Bragança on the Zamorano Portugues!

Just another thought — since you are not going to be able to finish the Sanabrés, maybe you want to leave that “whole camino” for another day. Would it be interesting to explore the options of walking a few days from Zamora on the Zamorano Portugues? 6 days from Zamora can either take you to Puebla de Sanabria on the Sanabrés or Bragança on the Zamorano Portugues!

Thank you Laurie. I’ll take a look at that. We are spoilt for choice!

We could just ‘finish’ the VdeP and go straight up to Astorga - and may still do - but those first stages of the Sanabres sound more appealing than the last few stages to Astorga.

I’m off to take a look at the Zamorano!

€46,-
Hola, It's me, aka former member 31048. I'm back ...

So, with thanks again to @AJGuillaume and all over at the Virtual VdeP Planning thread - our latest 'plan' given we have just the month of April - is VdeP Seville to Zamora. We will spend more time than usual as 'tourists' on this Camino - but sounds like some extra time in Caceres, Salamanca and Zamora will be very enjoyable. We've already spent time in Merida at end of the Mozarabe, so will have just half a day 'free' there.

From Zamora we will take the bus or train to Pamplona - and walk the Camino Baztan in reverse from Pamplona to Bayonne. We need to get back to Paris on 1 May - so this works well for us taking the train from Bayonne that day.

We thought about just continuing on from Zamora to Astorga - which we could just manage in the time. But we'd rather walk the Baztan - and are not hung up about 'finishing' the VdeP. Would probably rather do that later, when we can pick up in Zamora and walk via the Sanabres.

So, that's the latest from Pretty Beach, Australia camino planning headquarters!

Me, too! My daughter is going to be working on a movie (she adapted from a book) being filmed outside of Barcelona sometime in April, so when I find out when, I'll figure out when to hop over there when I'm done walking.
Hi Jill. How exciting for you both! Bravo to your daughter! Whenever I think of Barcelona,I think also of Girona about an hour or so train ride north. Have you been there - highly recommend for a couple of days. Gorgeous town, plenty to see and a break from the big city. I’ve been a couple of times and would go back any time I’m in the vicinity!

Hi Jill. How exciting for you both! Bravo to your daughter! Whenever I think of Barcelona,I think also of Girona about an hour or so train ride north. Have you been there - highly recommend for a couple of days. Gorgeous town, plenty to see and a break from the big city. I’ve been a couple of times and would go back any time I’m in the vicinity!
Her movie is set in Reus and Cambrils, the same distance south of Barcelona as Girona is north, so not sure I'll make it up there.. Thanks for the heads-up though, I will put it on my list. The pictures of Girona look fabulous!

An update for those kind folks who’ve contributed to my thinking on this one.

Ok, I’ve done more thinking / planning than I’ve ever done for a Camino and as much as I want to for now. Lockdown is finally over for us here in Pretty Beach, so I need to spend more time enjoying ‘the great outdoors’.

As some of you may recall, my quandry was what to do after Zamora, given we only have 30 days total at our disposal before we want to return to Paris in time for second week of the school holidays of les petits-enfants.

So, our ‘plan’ takes us from Seville as far as Zamora and from there we will either continue to Astorga, turn left and walk a few stages on the Camino Sanabres, or hotfoot it to Pamplona and walk the Camino Baztan in reverse to Bayonne.

My head is starting to hurt from weighing up the options … and although Domi is still being kind and patient when I announce again, ‘I’ve had another idea’, everyone has their limits - so we will tuck all those options in a side pocket and see what feels right when the time comes. 🙏

Ok, I’ve done more thinking / planning than I’ve ever done for a Camino and as much as I want to for now. Lockdown is finally over for us here in Pretty Beach, so I need to spend more time enjoying ‘the great outdoors’.

As some of you may recall, my quandry was what to do after Zamora, given we only have 30 days total at our disposal before we want to return to Paris in time for second week of the school holidays of les petits-enfants.

So, our ‘plan’ takes us from Seville as far as Zamora and from there we will either continue to Astorga, turn left and walk a few stages on the Camino Sanabres, or hotfoot it to Pamplona and walk the Camino Baztan in reverse to Bayonne.

My head is starting to hurt from weighing up the options … and although Domi is still being kind and patient when I announce again, ‘I’ve had another idea’, everyone has their limits - so we will tuck all those options in a side pocket and see what feels right when the time comes. 🙏
Admit it. Planning is fun.

although Domi is still being kind and patient when I announce again, ‘I’ve had another idea’, everyone has their limits - so we will tuck all those options in a side pocket and see what feels right when the time comes.
Not necessary to tuck them away. That's what we are here for!

I find that my planning goes through feverish stages, but when I get bored or fed up with it, I may choose to take a break, but I usually have enough information collected to give me confidence that "when the time comes" I can make an informed decision.

Volunteering to lead the Madrid thread has forced me to buckle down with details for that route. But once that is done, I can put the decision off until I arrive in Madrid!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who keeps changing the plan - too many options !
We are not in lockdown in Western Australia, just locked in and everyone else locked out ( perhaps until Easter 2022 ) 😔

You’re very organised Jenny .
We have chatted so you’re aware that I’m going in the opposite direction on dec15. (Phew ., with the checklist for 🇺🇸 USA…)… it has just about put me off making plans for a hopeful Apr/May2022, return to spain to complete my Vdlp from 2019 plus some more of the Levante (to Zamora )..
….but Question - wondering what you & other Ozzies are experiencing in travel insurance costs ?
Prior to the pandemic., I had been happy to rely on my ‘credit card - complimentary insurance ‘ but (at least going to usa this December ) my airline is asking for Covid 19 cover travel insurance. The complimentary version excludes this cover whilst the one through the travel agent (same insurer ) includes it but it was going to cost more than my airfare. They have discounted the cover (travel to USA) to what they say is rock bottom ( Au$1,000) — so
I grizzled and paid it.

I THINK insurance cover to spain May be cheaper?? But if not - I can’t see myself tripping across very often. Maybe the dust will settle next year ? No one knows.

Wondered if any other Ozzies have cleared these hurdles yet ?

X Annie

€60,-
Hi Annie. That’s a bugger. I haven’t looked in to it yet as our fares are either refundable or creditable in various circumstances. My thinking was to wait for a while to see how things pan out in next little while with insurance cover generally and covid related in particular. But I know you don’t have the luxury of time for the December travel.

I wonder - as you do - if the USA as a destination is more expensive. Hhmmm

I have also sometimes relied on thé Insurance provided by my credit card - though haven’t looked into it for a while so don’t know where things would stand in current environment. In my experience if you trace back most policies on offer in Australia they go back to the same insurers or underwriters - Covermore, Zurich - so there is typically not a lot between them.

I’ll let you know what I come up with when I start looking in earnest.

I think that the biggest hurdle is the return to Australia if you have a positive PCR test just prior to departure from Spain.

The Spanish confine you to a relevant hotel or Albergue locked up for days, and then the rigmarole of rebooking flights, perhaps a few times maybe, medical insurance etc. There was a previous rambling thread on this topic.

I am waiting for the dust to settle. I wonder if this (the dust settling) could happen over the Spanish winter? I don't think any opinions or guesses at this time are useful.

don't think any opinions or guesses at this time are useful.
I wasn’t offering an opinion or a guess - just relaying what I’d done - or not done - in relation to insurance in response to Annie’s quêstion on that topic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wasn’t offering an opinion or a guess - just relaying what I’d done - or not done - in relation to insurance in response to Annie’s quêstion on that topic.
Jenny - you misunderstood me, I wasn't referring to your comment. I guess my expression was inadequate.

I was attempting, perhaps unwisely, having just read another frustrating thread, to inhibit other peoples' subsequent rambling on a topic where timely facts and relevant experiences become most important and readers who are looking for important facts don't have to trawl through a long fireside chat.

..... in contrast to other topics where a fireside chat and spectrum of opinion, feelings of the moment and conversation is an inherent part of this forum.

In an ideal world a concise page of pinned posts or topics, including edited versions of really useful threads would be good but I understand that would be too much for a forum like this. 🤢

Sure ... I started this thread to get thoughts on a particular path - from people who either had experience or are also currently researching / interested in the same thing. I guess those who are interested in the topic and don't mind a free form chat have participated. And I appreciate it. I've found their contributions generous, enjoyable and informative - and the information has helped shape our choices for upcoming VdelP. Come to think of it, it does have a bit of a fireside chat vibe - quite nice particularly coming as it did in the last few months of lockdown!

You’re very organised Jenny .
We have chatted so you’re aware that I’m going in the opposite direction on dec15. (Phew ., with the checklist for 🇺🇸 USA…)… it has just about put me off making plans for a hopeful Apr/May2022, return to spain to complete my Vdlp from 2019 plus some more of the Levante (to Zamora )..
….but Question - wondering what you & other Ozzies are experiencing in travel insurance costs ?
Prior to the pandemic., I had been happy to rely on my ‘credit card - complimentary insurance ‘ but (at least going to usa this December ) my airline is asking for Covid 19 cover travel insurance. The complimentary version excludes this cover whilst the one through the travel agent (same insurer ) includes it but it was going to cost more than my airfare. They have discounted the cover (travel to USA) to what they say is rock bottom ( Au$1,000) — so
I grizzled and paid it.

I THINK insurance cover to spain May be cheaper?? But if not - I can’t see myself tripping across very often. Maybe the dust will settle next year ? No one knows.

Wondered if any other Ozzies have cleared these hurdles yet ?

X Annie
Hi Annie -

My travel insurance from Covermore, which has about as much Covid benefits as anyone can get, was $934 for three months from 2 April next year and covers me for travel both in Spain and the UK. The small print on the policy advises that they won’t cover me if I go to a Do Not Travel country, according to Australia’s SmartTraveller website, and get Covid.

Buen Camino Annie!

Jenny

Hi Annie -

My travel insurance from Covermore, which has about as much Covid benefits as anyone can get, was $934 for three months from 2 April next year and covers me for travel both in Spain and the UK. The small print on the policy advises that they won’t cover me if I go to a Do Not Travel country, according to Australia’s SmartTraveller website, and get Covid.

Buen Camino Annie!

Jenny
That's good to know Jenny. It's expensive I know but part of the cost of travel these days I guess! Sigh.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back