• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata as a first time bicigrina

klimmo

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe: nov ‘19
Português coastal: oct-nov ‘21
Hi all,

Planning my next camino, a bit different this time round, as I will be biking. I badly hurt my ankle in May and I can't walk long distances yet. So I'm embracing plan B and going for a long bike ride, starting early october in Sevilla.

Any suggestions for a first time bicigrina?
- albugergues with bike storage?
- the best stretches, places to visit?
- general do's and don't's

And key question: Via de la Plata to Gijon or Santiago?

Thanks all!
Mon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As you go further less albergues and support for pilgrims.
I always walk so know nothing of bike storage etc. I walked the VDLP last year starting in mid October and it was still really hot. I am not sure how you would get to Gijon from Astorga staying on caminos but i am sure there is a way. I can’t say why you want to go to Gijon on the Norte. I didn’t think it was a really great city when I walked the Norte.
Is there another one?
You have the ancient ruins to see along the way and Salamanca is very pretty. Early on there are lots of olive trees. Lots! Sevilla is beautiful also!

Hi all,

Planning my next camino, a bit different this time round, as I will be biking. I badly hurt my ankle in May and I can't walk long distances yet. So I'm embracing plan B and going for a long bike ride, starting early october in Sevilla.

Thanks all!
Mon
Hello- I biked some of the via de la plata, in 2017.

I also biked the Camino Francis in 2012-
I could join you as I have a international beekeeping project in Morocco following the bike ride

I’m 72 years old, but legs are good

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Mon
Hi Mon, I’m also biking for the first time starting in Seville at the end of this month. There are a few recent posts on this topic. You have probably found them already but here’s a couple of good links that I'm using:

https://www.cyclingspain.com/via-de-la-plata-cycling/

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-the-via-de-la-plata

Gronze.com has a full list of Alberques which also list bike storage facilities.

I guess only you will be able to answer your key question, Santiago of Gijon when you get to the fork in the road. If you’ve got the time and stamina why not both.

Buen Camino

Hi Mon, I’m also biking for the first time starting in Seville at the end of this month. There are a few recent posts on this topic. You have probably found them already but here’s a couple of good links that I'm using:

https://www.cyclingspain.com/via-de-la-plata-cycling/

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/cycling-the-via-de-la-plata

Gronze.com has a full list of Alberques which also list bike storage facilities.

I guess only you will be able to answer your key question, Santiago of Gijon when you get to the fork in the road. If you’ve got the time and stamina why not both.

Buen Camino
Hi, thanks for replying, thanks for the links. ordered the book, hoping it get's here on time.

It's what I've got in the back of my mind, doing them both.

What kind of distances are you planning? and the road or mtb variant?

Have a good time preparing!
Buen camino

As you go further less albergues and support for pilgrims.
I always walk so know nothing of bike storage etc. I walked the VDLP last year starting in mid October and it was still really hot. I am not sure how you would get to Gijon from Astorga staying on caminos but i am sure there is a way. I can’t say why you want to go to Gijon on the Norte. I didn’t think it was a really great city when I walked the Norte.
Is there another one?
You have the ancient ruins to see along the way and Salamanca is very pretty. Early on there are lots of olive trees. Lots! Sevilla is beautiful also!
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It seems that Gijon is the original end of the la Plata, hence the question. Again, the question is do I want to do the whole of the original route or go (back) to Santiago. Or do both as was suggested below.

How hot is really hot? And where do you get to the fork to go to Santiago?

Weirdly looking forward to the olive trees again, saw loads of them on the Mozarabe. Loved it.

Many thanks
Buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello- I biked some of the via de la plata, in 2017
Hi Doug, thanks for replying.
Did you enjoy it? what distances did you do? Road or MTB?
So many questions.

I don't even dare to ask the question of a packing list.

Enjoy your beekeeping!
Buen camino

I’ve done the first part as far as Caceres. What you’ll understand quickly is the pilgrim route is a pain even with an MTB. Plan to use as much of the N630 as you are comfortable with. Most countryside sections are quiet and you can switch to the walking route as you approach the towns.

Also plan for a couple of days in Seville and Italica. Worth the time.

Hi Doug, thanks for replying.
Did you enjoy it? what distances did you do? Road or MTB?
So many questions.

I don't even dare to ask the question of a packing list.

Enjoy your beekeeping!
Buen camino
Hello- two caminos and both were really good-I had a cross trail bike that I bought in Madrid and Malaga, two different bikes which I sold for half of what I paid for them at the end of the trip- took awhile to make all the financial connections, but better than renting . On my rear rack, I attached my day pack with extra food for the day, shoes, toiletries, clothes, which made the front of the bike a little light- careful-

Distances were 35-50 kilometers a day- no hurry-the Via de la plata- starting in Malaga- was more challenging- got lost several times, not as well marked as the Camino Francis- but stopped to ask and people showed me the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. It seems that Gijon is the original end of the la Plata, hence the question. Again, the question is do I want to do the whole of the original route or go (back) to Santiago. Or do both as was suggested below.

How hot is really hot? And where do you get to the fork to go to Santiago?

Weirdly looking forward to the olive trees again, saw loads of them on the Mozarabe. Loved it.

Many thanks
Buen camino
I started out about October 15th. For more than a week there was not a cloud in the sky and the temperatures were in the low high 80's and low 90's. No shade at all. I was carrying 3 liters of water. 2 were frozen in a Decathlon mesh bag with my food and one in my hand. It was great pouring some of that melting water on my head and hat to cool down. It felt very hot to me. This is why I walk in winter haha. You will feel like you are back on the Mozarabe with the olive trees. I do not remember seeing too many cyclists that I would have thought were not just people going for a ride. But then again I didn't see more than a handful of pilgrims.
My original intention was to walk the Sanabria to Santiago. I changed my mind in Salamanca. More and more albergues were closed. Late in the year and still Covid times. I was hearing that it would not get any easier on the Sanabria so I went to Astorga and got on the CF.I was bummed I did that but I felt I had to. I think the spilt was at Granja de Moreleja, (I don't know if I spelled that right but you can check on Gronze.com.) you have the choice of going to Santiago by the Sanabria or doing what I did and go to Astorga. It was a shock even in late November pilgrim wise when I got on the CF after being on the VDLP.
I don't remember there being that many really challenging stretches for a cyclist but then again I was walking. Logistically you should have far fewer issues regarding places to sleep as you can travel much further distances, or places being closed. I would still check ahead to be sure.
Buen camino

Hi all,

Thanks all!
Mon
Hi Mon,
I’m a 3-time VdlP bicigrino - an old guy with bad knees on a bike. The VdlP is, in my opinion, the all-time great bike ride.
I never had any worries about bike storage. Not an issue wherever you choose to stay. Best stretches - all of it for me, with a couple of caveats.
Do NOT follow the pilgrim track up the Alto Calvario which is immediately before the town of Almaden. On the stage between Castilblanco and Almaden, either stay on the road, or, if you are OK with the distance go all the way through the national park and join the road which approaches Almaden from the east. That’s a lovely ride but is about 80km all up. Personally I’d also recommend staying on the road from Baṉos until the turn-off near Puerto de Bejar.
Are you renting a bike? I rented on two occasions from Tirana Backpackers and was very satisfied. But be aware that they are sturdy and rather heavy machines. My best experience was on my own light-weight bike which I flew in from Australia.
I agree with the advice above to use the N630 as much as you like. It basically parallels the entire route.
I have always turned left on the Sanabres, which I love.
Good luck

In answer to the question about Gijon or Santiago, I’d recommend Santiago.

Just visited Gijon and though it is a pleasant city, it lacks the appeal of Santiago. There’s a lack of a historical centre though there is some history there. It provides a variety from the seaside towns on either side but Santiago has a millennia of history.

In addition, on the Sanabres, you get to see Ourense and the springs.

Lastly bare in mind it gets colder as you get north. It’s already autumnal in Galicia with cold mornings and hot afternoons so later in the year you’ll have to prepare for further changes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Mon
There is a cycling guide for this route

The author actually has done a guide both on-camino and on-road alternatives and hybrid routes to avoid the difficult parts.

The advantage of the route to Gijon is that in case of difficulty you can always drop on to the N630 road which after the rollout of the new motorway network is now a pleasant lightly used road.

There is a cycling guide for this route

The author actually has done a guide both on-camino and on-road alternatives and hybrid routes to avoid the difficult parts.

The advantage of the route to Gijon is that in case of difficulty you can always drop on to the N630 road which after the rollout of the new motorway network is now a pleasant lightly used road.
Hi, thanks for this. Ordered it and it just arrived, it looks great. Details of both and options to mix and match.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back