• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la plata at Easter

Deepforest

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Camino Frances 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017 del Norte and Primitivo 2017 Via Francegina 2018.
I have completed the Frances, Portuguese , del Norte and Primitivo. This Easter 2018, my partner would like to come on Camino with me. I'm considering the part from Leon to Sarria as I like that a lot but she would like for me to experience something new.

I'm wondering about the via de la plata. Neither of us have been to Seville and we have been wondering if we could fly into there, then walk out for ten days over Easter?

Would the albergues be open? Any idea what the weather would be like? Last year I did the meseta in April, foolishly thinking it would be all green, with songbirds and flowers, but I nearly froze.

Any opinions on whether the la plata or my original section from Leon would be best. I'm thinking we would meet more pilgrims and have more albergues on the Frances.

We walked some of the gr7 in Andalusia last November and we're pretty much the only hikers. Both of us found this very disappointing and whilst we enjoyed each other's company, we like meeting others. Would this be an issue on the la plata? But then the la plata is too hot in summer I'm sure.

Advice welcome guys. Please feel free to comment and thanks a lot if you do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Deepforest, Seville is a wonderful place. Visit this page to find out anything you want to know of Seville: exploreseville.com

Easter is a very busy time in Seville. If you haven't made reservations yet, you better do so as soon as you can. You may even have to stay out of Seville and train/bus into city.

Recommend you take a day or two to see Seville.

The A'burgs will be open.

See thread in the Plata room subject "Via La Plata Late March 2018" for more information.

Many stay at Triana Backpacker A'berg/Hostal.

I, and many others, prefer Hotel Simon. One block from the Cathedral.
Get your pass port at Hotel Simon. First stamp Cathedral. Also get stamped, for memories, at Hotel xxxxx. Where you stay at.

Go to Via Plata room on here for much information about the Plata.

Yes you can fly into Seville.

Yes you can walk the Plata for 10 days out of Seville. But, you may have to bus back to Seville for flight out. Or could catch bus to other parts of Spain.

Weather should be nice. May be little hot in the mid day - late day. Hot; but, bearable. Nothing like July - August in Seville.

Take PLENTY of water.

Compared to the Frances, there will not be lots of walkers on the Plata. So, if you want to meet loads of fellow walkers -- the Plata may not be the route for your walk.

If you walk on Easter Day, many places may be closed. i.e. stores, bars etc.

Did you consider doing the Ingles instead of Plata?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering about the via de la plata. Neither of us have been to Seville and we have been wondering if we could fly into there, then walk out for ten days over Easter?

Would the albergues be open? Any idea what the weather would be like?

Advice welcome guys. Please feel free to comment and thanks a lot if you do.
Walked VDLP starting April first and it was HOT by noon, difficult for me by 1 pm. Carried a lot of water and almost ran out one day. But it is a beautiful route, highly recomended.

Orange trees in bloom and with fruit, bellota trees lush and green, beautiful cattle and pig farms to walk through, lovely albergues, many with beds fully made up. A love for locally quality produce

Long stretches with no services, nowhere to site to rest but the ground (granite cubes get super hot in the sun, don’t fry your legs).

One caveat: book ahead for Easter weekend, many had to taxi a few towns away to find a bed on those days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Planning your visit around two major events this time of the year is very important.

During Semana Santa (25 Mar to 1 April) and Feria (15 - 21 April), Seville will be very crowded!

Take a look at these stats for Seville Fair:
Seville Fair/April Fair Feria de Sevilla/Feria de Abril
Dates A week in the spring (two weeks after Easter)
Location(s) Seville, Spain
Founded August 25, 1846
Attendance 5,000,000 (week total) 850,000 (Friday night)

While Semana Santa and Feria days may be over, the spill over of visitors to Seville from these two major events causes many things (rooms, transportation, etc) to be booked solid. Train/bus seats may not be available, etc.

We had 4 days in Sevilla for Semana Santa and started walking on Easter Saturday(15th April). The weather was hot to begin. There were quite a few pilgrims and the albergues were usually full or nearly full.
We loved this route. At this time of year there are wildflowers everywhere.

I am arriving in Seville April 2nd.
It seems like it is warmer and busier than I expected in this period, but not to worry, I hope.
Have booked in Seville first night though....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am arriving in Seville April 2nd.
It seems like it is warmer and busier than I expected in this period, but not to worry, I hope.
Have booked in Seville first night though....
See you in the way Stivander. I also arrive in Seville on April 2nd and will start walking on April 04

As to the statistics of the month, I found this quote;

"The Zamora albergue is VERY popular among pilgrims along this route, with most pilgrims on this segment, north of Salamanca, stopping there. The capacity is about 30 pilgrims per night, and there are only two months a year in which the albergue even averages 20 pilgrims/night. They are April and May (April = 18/day, and May = 22/day in 2017). "
( Milehigh Pair jan 2 ´18)

So as this is the expected max in one popular point, we can expect to be a small happy crowd, content with enough elbow room...?!

Se ya down the road apiece !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi
i'm going to start VDLP in the mid april and I would like to know suggestions about an updated guide or a list of updates albergues.
Also, a that time I will need a light or heavy sleeping bad?

ty in advance

best

Hi
i'm going to start VDLP in the mid april and I would like to know suggestions about an updated guide or a list of updates albergues.
Also, a that time I will need a light or heavy sleeping bad?

ty in advance

best
The Kelly guide book is jist fine. If you are afraid some albergie may have appeared, or disappeared, since publication, visit the Eroski and Gronze websites for recent info.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back