• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la plata by bike ........Photos and a few comments

jony jony

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
Some 4 weeks ago ago i returned from my (supposedly ) final pilgrimage .:( . I find myself continually looking at my photos and thinking of the lovely people i met and wishing i was back on the camino .......this is ridiculous as i am now thinking of another "final" pilgrimage along the V d l P, i love this camino even though the heat was very unhelpful , to say the least, :cool: in September/October this year .

Here are a few photos for me and you to look at .

Thanks for endulging me ..........20180919_110046.jpg20180922_085520.jpg20180928_204830.jpg20181006_160025.jpg20180929_145744.jpg20181004_090339.jpg20181008_163239.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I think it is a common misunderstanding, that the VdP is no longer hot in autum. I found it very hot, when I started on September 18th 2008. If you look up the weather at AEMET, you will find that September is hotter than June!

These beautiful riverside baths, are they in Ourense? Guess I missed that thing last time and will have to put it on my schedule for 2020/2021 (depending on wheter I do the VdP by foot in 2 or 3 stages).

BC
Alexandra

Yes Via2010 the hot spring baths are at Ourense and were fantastic . If you do manage to go , and please try , then there is a little tourist train from Plaza Mayor every hour ( costs 80 cents and takes about 40 mins ) that takes you to the hot springs , but remember to stay on this little train until the final stop as these are the free baths . The train stops at 3 or 4 other thermal springs but i believe these cost about 4 or 5 Euros to enter . Remember a small padlock so as you can leave your clothes in the lockers provided .

Regarding the temperatures , yes you are quite right about the temperatures 38 - 40 deg C until about Salamanca in late September this year in the afternoon , and on one morning near Merida it was already 27 deg C at 6 am :p.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some 4 weeks ago ago i returned from my (supposedly ) final pilgrimage .:( . I find myself continually looking at my photos and thinking of the lovely people i met and wishing i was back on the camino .......this is ridiculous as i am now thinking of another "final" pilgrimage along the V d l P, i love this camino even though the heat was very unhelpful , to say the least, :cool: in September/October this year .

Here are a few photos for me and you to look at .

Thanks for endulging me ..........

Hi, I’ve been thinking for some time about cycling the vdlp having recently walked the Frances and the Primitivo. If you have a few minutes I’d be interested in your comments on how long it took, daily distances etc. My wife and I would be cycling on a Hase Pino (front rider is recumbent, driver/stoker sits upright behind) and am wondering about the terrain etc. The Pino has nice thick tyres but isn’t a mountain bike and it’s pretty heavy. We could cycle on mountain bikes but we’re not really well matched and a Pino removes that issue. Do you think a Pino would be suitable for the terrain you encountered? I’d rather not spend all of the journey on tarmac if possible. Cheers.

Hi Seashell,

on some parts of the Via it will be possible to go by mountain-bike, but not with a "pino" bike. I remember, that there were narrow paths before Almaden de la Plata - up to the calvario -, to El Real de la Jara, after Fuenteroble de Salvatierra (Pico de la Duena, but there is an alternative route for bikers going over Pedrosillo de los Aires), after La Granja de Moreruela (there is an alternative route, too) and on the Sanabres. The german guidebook writen by Raimund Joos shows the alternative routes. I do not know if there is an english version, for the Camino Francés a translation is available.

BC
Alexandra

Seashell , i stuck faithfully to the camino all the way and only once did i have to turn back and take the road for a few klms . I cannot remember exactly where this was , all i know is there was a bridge over water and the camino turned left down a narrow path immediately at the end of the bridge . The path went round a body of water ( lake maybe ) but after about half an hour of lifting my bike over shrubs/ rocks and having my legs cut with the shrubbery i admitted defeat and turned round . I could not imagine anyone taking a recumbent on many parts of the camino . Some sections are quite difficult even on a mountain bike and quite a bit of pushing was required .
My daily distances were between 88 klm and 22 klms , but the short distances were just to eat up time as i had lots to spare waiting for my flight . The heat really does shorten the riding day , and increases the weight carried ( 3-4 ltrs of water ).
In total i rode for 22 days , had 2 punctures , a great sun tan and lost 5.4 kgs in weight .

Here are a couple more photos of the track to help you make up your mind about a recumbent .:eek:20180919_110114.jpg20180919_110114.jpg20180928_091520.jpg20181007_122412.jpgsantiago 084.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I cycled the VdlP from Seville to Santiago over 12 days in May on a touring bike. The weather was unseasonably cold and very wet, leading to flooding, thick glutinous mud and a number of diversions along rough footpaths. On several occasions I had to remove the panniers and carry the bike. After a few days of this I was grateful for the blessings of a good road with little traffic. It may not have been quite what you have in mind, but it was still, wonderful.

Did the CF summer 2018. A lot of similar terrain to these pics. Can you describe what your technique was as you approached walkers on these stretches? Because in our experience on CF virtually NO cyclists announced their approach by way of bell, and only a few by voice, typically when they were about 2 feet from the back of your knee. On this terrain walkers are concentrating, trying to figure out where to safely step next, and the inconsideration of most cyclists made it dangerous out there. One woman I met was forcibly shoved off the trail by a passing cyclist, causing her to fall and leaving her badly injured physically and spiritually. I had sharp larger-than-fist-sized sharp rocks thrown up from wheels racing by, staggering me off the trail and causing bleeding. As someone who loves a good challenge, i can understand wanting to try some of those sections on a mountain bike, but keep in mind that the suggested bike route map is designed not metelt to give cyclists the ultimate kamikaxe experience, but also for the safety of travellers on foot. While it is nice to share the trail, cyclists please be mindful that we can't necessarily jump out of the way safely, especially when we can't hear you approach. (I am very fit, agile, with acute hearing, and was almost taken down 6 or 7 times. I feared for those less able to move quickly and for the hard of hearing, who would have no hope.)

Walkerooni......the C F cannot be compared with the Vd l P with regards to numbers of people using the tracks , some days i saw no one to warn of my approach and on several occasions i was the only pilgrim in the albergue . I always ring my bell several times from 50 or so mtrs away when i did meet walkers , often shouting ...ice creams....cold beers .... this certainly made them turn round and notice me . More often than not i stopped and had a little chat /gave them a sweet ....and was thanked on several occasions for the bell ringing .
I have been startled several times when cyclist speed past me without warning but these were mostly within cycling distance of larger towns and mostly at the weekend so it is reasonable to assume that these were groups of Spanish weekend mountain bike riders and not pilgrims .
Of course many klms of the camino are leisure tracks and are used by walkers/cyclists/runners/farmers cars and tractors and are not exclusive for any one set of individuals , just as cars/walkers/cyclists are entitled to use the road network .
I cycled the C F in 2007 and was amazed at the amount of people on the camino , i cannot imagine cycling the C F now with the increase in pilgrims over recent years .

You seem to have had your fair share of bad luck with almost being taken down 6 or 7 times . you would have a much better experience on the Via de la Plata .

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walkerooni......the C F cannot be compared with the Vd l P with regards to numbers of people using the tracks , some days i saw no one to warn of my approach and on several occasions i was the only pilgrim in the albergue . I always ring my bell several times from 50 or so mtrs away when i did meet walkers , often shouting ...ice creams....cold beers .... this certainly made them turn round and notice me . More often than not i stopped and had a little chat /gave them a sweet ....and was thanked on several occasions for the bell ringing .
I have been startled several times when cyclist speed past me without warning but these were mostly within cycling distance of larger towns and mostly at the weekend so it is reasonable to assume that these were groups of Spanish weekend mountain bike riders and not pilgrims .
Of course many klms of the camino are leisure tracks and are used by walkers/cyclists/runners/farmers cars and tractors and are not exclusive for any one set of individuals , just as cars/walkers/cyclists are entitled to use the road network .
I cycled the C F in 2007 and was amazed at the amount of people on the camino , i cannot imagine cycling the C F now with the increase in pilgrims over recent years .

You seem to have had your fair share of bad luck with almost being taken down 6 or 7 times . you would have a much better experience on the Via de la Plata .

You give me hope jony jony! Had I come across a cyclist like you toward the end of my Camino, I'd have hauled you off your bike and kissed you! 😘

:) and you would have got 2 sweets :).

As a lone cyclist i don,t have the "group" mentality of being in a "gang" with all the bravado that that brings and consequently i ride slower . It was also nice for me to stop and have a chat for a few minutes to other pilgrims .
If you can then do try the Via de la Plata /Sanabres.........totally different experience to the C F .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a pedestrian on the Via de la Plata this spring my group experienced many cyclists passing us on the Camino. Only a few gave warning of their approach. Must rudely passed us at a dangerous rate of speed. Note: a startled pedestrian doesn't always have time to quickly decide which direction to step aside out of the cyclists path. A pedestrian / cyclist collision will certainly cause injury to both parties, damage the cycle, and ruin their Camino that season. Many times we were unaware a cyclist was approaching us from behind, being startled as they closely passed by. Since most of the trail planners choose off pavement routing for the Camino, the trail is often very narrow. Both cyclists and pedestrians should practice common courtesy during their encounters. Cyclists need to be more proactive in warning pedestrians of their approach, especially from behind the pedestrian. Understand that like you, they will also naturally choose to walk on the drier firm surface (versus a muddy rut). Both can't always occupy the same place. I believe pedestrians will gladly allow cyclists to pass them by when made aware of their presence. Often we silently walk along musing our thoughts, engrossed in tranquility, not specifically on the lookout for rapidly moving cyclists. Very few of us are looking at our back trail. So, just take time to let us know your are approaching. Riding in single file during those occasions versus three to five abreast is especially appreciated. Remember, you aren't on the Tour de France.

Thank you for writing about your bike pilgrimage, I walked this in 2010 and wanted to know more about doing it as a bike pilgrimage due to no longer being about to walk long distances.

thank you

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back