• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via De La Plata de Portugal

ashearer

Time of past OR future Camino
De Madrid, May-June of 2013
Hi,

My plan is to fly into Madrid and make my way to Zamora, by bus I suppose. I want to walk the Via de la Plata though Portugal and am trying to figure out exactly how to access the trail once in Zamora. Kind of hard to tell from online maps. Thanks so much for any help.

-Andy Shearer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ashearer said:
Hi,...I am trying to figure out exactly how to access the trail once in Zamora. ind of hard to tell from online maps....

Hola Andy, In July 2010 I hiked from Zamora to Ourense via Braganca using a tourist brochure and a freebie map of the area acquired at the oficina de turismo, Zamora. I had lttle difficulty exiting the city. I asked the tourist officer for directions and he drew them on the map.

In 2010 there were few albergues along this route. Perhaps this has changed? Also, the Amigos were in the process of erecting granite posts to waymark the Camino. I remember coming across a pile of slabs outside a village.

If you find time to write about your Camino I'd really enjoy reading about it . In July it was exceedingly hot. My budget was just about nil. I carried a tent and slept out mostly.

camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic9022.html

Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much for the info. From what I can tell there are a few more accommodations along this route but I probably won't really know for sure until I get there. Sleeping bag and a tent is probably a good idea.

Plans have changed a little. I'm now planning on starting from Salamanca and walking another 2 days to Zamora, mainly because you can get a bus to Salamanca straight from the airport in Madrid and bypass dealing with taxis, bus depot's, etc. Trail looks fairly easy to locate.

I am planning on writing as much as I can about this trip and I will definitely let you know the blog link once it is established, though I may opt to hand write everything and blog it later. Not sure yet. I'm planning on starting around May 17, so hopefully it won't be all that hot. Probably more rainy. We'll see.

Thanks again,
Andy

Hi.

Salamanca is a great starting point, and as you said, it's easy to get there from the airport. The first mile or so walking from the albergue out of town isn't well marked (at least as of November 2011), so here's quick guide:

Go through Plaza Mayor heading north, and exit out the far top left exit (C/Concejo), which will become C/Zamora.
Stay on this street straight, going through two roundabouts.
At the third roundabout (Sa-11), turn left and you should start seeing plenty of markers.

There were a decent # of albergues here in 2011, I think.

Melanie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are albergues in: Fonfria; Alcanices; Trabazos and Quintanilha.
I'll post more details in the albergue section when I can.
I lost my specs between Fonfria and Alcanices so I'm a bit handicapped :(

There are albergues in: Fonfria; Alcanices; Trabazos and Quintanilha.
I'll post more details in the albergue section when I can.
I lost my specs between Fonfria and Alcanices so I'm a bit handicapped :(

For those interested: look at the following site:
http://www.azimute.net/santiago.htm
Detailed info on track (unfortunately no GPS) and what to expect in the villages.

Hi,

My plan is to fly into Madrid and make my way to Zamora, by bus I suppose. I want to walk the Via de la Plata though Portugal and am trying to figure out exactly how to access the trail once in Zamora. Kind of hard to tell from online maps. Thanks so much for any help.

-Andy Shearer
Hi Andy

Go from Zamora to La Hiniesta rather than Roales de Pan. You can pick up the Portuguese Camino just outside La Hiniesta. Be sure to stop there to have a look at the beautiful gothic facade of the church.
Here is the extract from my book, 'Tortoises on the Via de la Plata' re Zamora to La Hiniesta:

Outside in the navy blue morning, we winked at the moon and sped past the stars, along a smooth, tarmac cycle lane, painted green. It was a beautiful path flanked with on both sides with trees and shrubs. It was a broad path too. The type that leads to many a family fracas, or, to put it Biblically, destruction. And although we didn’t yet know it, God was about to show us that we were lost.

We chattered like birds as we walked and planned to stop at the next village, Roales de Pan, some six kilometres away to have eat. Although we walked fast, it was some time before we found the village.

“Here it is,” I said. “At last.”

“This isn’t it,” said Alan.

“Of course it is, what do you think it is, a mirage?”

“We’re looking for Roales de Pan.”

“Yeah. And here it is. These houses are the start of Roales de Pan.”

“No. They’re not. This village is called La Hiniesta.”

“Eh?”

“Look. At the sign.”

My eyes followed his finger.

“Oh yeah. But didn’t the book say Roales de Pan came first?”

“Yes.”

“I told you that guidebook was rubbish.”

“No it isn’t. We wouldn’t get anywhere without it.”

“Of course it is. Otherwise it would have said La Hiniesta came first. Come on let’s get coffee anyway.”

But the village was still sleeping and everything was closed, so we had to walk on. We continued following the arrows into some fields; but, of Roales de Pan, there was no sign. Fortunately, after we had walked a kilometre or so, we encountered a man working in the fields. We asked him how far it was to Roales de Pan.

“Roales de Pan is on the Via de la Plata,” he said.

“We know it’s on the Via de la Plata,” I said, raising my eyebrows to heaven. “How much further is it?” I added patiently.

“You’re on the wrong road,” he said.

I stifled a sigh. ‘Country people,’ I thought. ‘They don’t even know where they live.’

I pointed to the arrow we had just passed.

Hay la flecha amarilla,” I said. “There’s the yellow arrow. We have been following them since Sevilla.”

Si, todos los caminos tienen flechas amarillas,” he replied. “All the Caminos have yellow arrows.”

I nodded.

Si, yo sé,” I said. I know. “So do you understand me? We need to know how far it is to Roales de Pan?”

“This Camino, is the Camino Portugues, it has yellow arrows too,” he said. “The Via de la Plata is back there,” he pointed in the direction we had walked, back near Zamora.”

“Gracias,” I said.

“Whoops. We sloped off back to the village, where, thankfully, a bar open. The coffee was bitter because pride is a hard pill to swallow.

The woman in the coffee bar was sweet though. She didn’t have a stamp for our credenciales; but, she took me to meet her friend in the local shop, who did have one. The women were very keen to hear the story of our pilgrimage and, in return they told me their story, the story of La Hiniesta. In fact they showed me.

The woman from the shop draped a cardigan around her shoulders and, shutting the shop door behind her, started walking down the road. Her friend went out too and bid me follow. As the three of us walked down the road, I thought we were going back to the bar; but, we bypassed the broad, main road and instead we turned towards the church.

King Sancho IV, another Sancho, enjoyed hunting. He was out with his horse, and his hawk, hunting in the fertile valleys down below Zamora, when his hawk brought down a partridge. Sancho cantered after it through the dry, sandy valleys filled with gorse-like broom. Broom, a shrub with yellow flowers and green slender, leafless stems, is called hiniesta in Spanish. Sancho rode to where the hawk was guarding, but unable to get to, the terrified partridge. The small bird was still alive and cowering fearfully underneath a bush of broom.

Sancho alighted from the horse and bent down to pluck the partridge from the bush, but instead of feeling feathers and a beating heart, his hand touched a statue. He pulled it out and saw it was the Virgin Mary. The statue had sheltered the partridge. Sancho, bowing to the will of Mary, let the partridge fly free and he built a shrine to the Virgin on that very spot, which today is the church of Santa Maria la Real.

While the church was being built, the Virgin was placed in the church of St Antolin in Zamora. Her own church, was ready in 1291 and, when she went there, she was accompanied by another statue of the Virgin Mary, the patron of Zamora, and a procession of people. This original pilgrimage gave rise to one of the most important holy festivals of the Zamoran calendar. Every Whit Monday the Virgen de la Concha, Virgin of the Shell, who is the patron of Zamora, is taken from that church of St Antolin and carried to La Hiniesta, to visit her cousin.

The entrance to the church of Santa Maria la Real is sculpted. A beautiful and a rare example of Gothic relief with scenes from the childhood of Christ and, are lower down while, on the upper walls, Christ the Judge is seated on his throne, with the Virgin and St. John and two kneeling angels beside him.

€83,-
Hi Andy

Go from Zamora to La Hiniesta rather than Roales de Pan. You can pick up the Portuguese Camino just outside La Hiniesta. Be sure to stop there to have a look at the beautiful gothic facade of the church.
Here is the extract from my book, 'Tortoises on the Via de la Plata' re Zamora to La Hiniesta:

Outside in the navy blue morning, we winked at the moon and sped past the stars, along a smooth, tarmac cycle lane, painted green. It was a beautiful path flanked with on both sides with trees and shrubs. It was a broad path too. The type that leads to many a family fracas, or, to put it Biblically, destruction. And although we didn’t yet know it, God was about to show us that we were lost.

We chattered like birds as we walked and planned to stop at the next village, Roales de Pan, some six kilometres away to have eat. Although we walked fast, it was some time before we found the village.

“Here it is,” I said. “At last.”

“This isn’t it,” said Alan.

“Of course it is, what do you think it is, a mirage?”

“We’re looking for Roales de Pan.”

“Yeah. And here it is. These houses are the start of Roales de Pan.”

“No. They’re not. This village is called La Hiniesta.”

“Eh?”

“Look. At the sign.”

My eyes followed his finger.

“Oh yeah. But didn’t the book say Roales de Pan came first?”

“Yes.”

“I told you that guidebook was rubbish.”

“No it isn’t. We wouldn’t get anywhere without it.”

“Of course it is. Otherwise it would have said La Hiniesta came first. Come on let’s get coffee anyway.”

But the village was still sleeping and everything was closed, so we had to walk on. We continued following the arrows into some fields; but, of Roales de Pan, there was no sign. Fortunately, after we had walked a kilometre or so, we encountered a man working in the fields. We asked him how far it was to Roales de Pan.

“Roales de Pan is on the Via de la Plata,” he said.

“We know it’s on the Via de la Plata,” I said, raising my eyebrows to heaven. “How much further is it?” I added patiently.

“You’re on the wrong road,” he said.

I stifled a sigh. ‘Country people,’ I thought. ‘They don’t even know where they live.’

I pointed to the arrow we had just passed.

Hay la flecha amarilla,” I said. “There’s the yellow arrow. We have been following them since Sevilla.”

Si, todos los caminos tienen flechas amarillas,” he replied. “All the Caminos have yellow arrows.”

I nodded.

Si, yo sé,” I said. I know. “So do you understand me? We need to know how far it is to Roales de Pan?”

“This Camino, is the Camino Portugues, it has yellow arrows too,” he said. “The Via de la Plata is back there,” he pointed in the direction we had walked, back near Zamora.”

“Gracias,” I said.

“Whoops. We sloped off back to the village, where, thankfully, a bar open. The coffee was bitter because pride is a hard pill to swallow.

The woman in the coffee bar was sweet though. She didn’t have a stamp for our credenciales; but, she took me to meet her friend in the local shop, who did have one. The women were very keen to hear the story of our pilgrimage and, in return they told me their story, the story of La Hiniesta. In fact they showed me.

The woman from the shop draped a cardigan around her shoulders and, shutting the shop door behind her, started walking down the road. Her friend went out too and bid me follow. As the three of us walked down the road, I thought we were going back to the bar; but, we bypassed the broad, main road and instead we turned towards the church.

King Sancho IV, another Sancho, enjoyed hunting. He was out with his horse, and his hawk, hunting in the fertile valleys down below Zamora, when his hawk brought down a partridge. Sancho cantered after it through the dry, sandy valleys filled with gorse-like broom. Broom, a shrub with yellow flowers and green slender, leafless stems, is called hiniesta in Spanish. Sancho rode to where the hawk was guarding, but unable to get to, the terrified partridge. The small bird was still alive and cowering fearfully underneath a bush of broom.

Sancho alighted from the horse and bent down to pluck the partridge from the bush, but instead of feeling feathers and a beating heart, his hand touched a statue. He pulled it out and saw it was the Virgin Mary. The statue had sheltered the partridge. Sancho, bowing to the will of Mary, let the partridge fly free and he built a shrine to the Virgin on that very spot, which today is the church of Santa Maria la Real.

While the church was being built, the Virgin was placed in the church of St Antolin in Zamora. Her own church, was ready in 1291 and, when she went there, she was accompanied by another statue of the Virgin Mary, the patron of Zamora, and a procession of people. This original pilgrimage gave rise to one of the most important holy festivals of the Zamoran calendar. Every Whit Monday the Virgen de la Concha, Virgin of the Shell, who is the patron of Zamora, is taken from that church of St Antolin and carried to La Hiniesta, to visit her co

When i walked the stage after Zamora about half of the people ended up, unintended, on the Portugese way. Most of thema were shown the shortcut back to the right way by the woman in the bar.
Leaving Zamora there werd signs saying: "Via de la Plata Via Portugees. I and others read this and thought that thuis meant that in the beginning the two routes shared the same route and would separate later. This was nog the case. If you see this sign it means you are on the Portugese version of the VdlP. I think the two routes split allready at the Plaza Mayor in Zamora.

Could not agree more . I posted a thread on this below. Peregrinos do not always know yellow arrows can lead to more than one destination.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked the Via de la Plata via Portugal in 2013 the way out of Zamora was by the cathedral. I walked out of Zamora again this year and found that it is very easy to get confused. It seems that the building of the new high speed train has altered the route out of the city. There are new signs, both routes start together but then the new signs indicate the Portuguese way, the arrows show the Via de la Plata. I would be surprised if any guide books are really up to date.

When I walked the Via de la Plata via Portugal in 2013 the way out of Zamora was by the cathedral. I walked out of Zamora again this year and found that it is very easy to get confused. It seems that the building of the new high speed train has altered the route out of the city. There are new signs, both routes start together but then the new signs indicate the Portuguese way, the arrows show the Via de la Plata. I would be surprised if any guide books are really up to date.
try gerald kelly's book walking guide to the via de la plata and the camino sanabres published jan 2015. i shall be using this when i set off in sep!
buen camino

the malingerer

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back