• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata - downloadable GPS Maps

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
Do you know any maps, showing paths [especially the Camino!] that can be downloaded onto a mobile phone? [I know you'll say "Leave your phone behind and just walk north, following the arrows when you see them!"] Stephen.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stephen Nicholls said:
Do you know any maps, showing paths [especially the Camino!] that can be downloaded onto a mobile phone? [I know you'll say "Leave your phone behind and just walk north, following the arrows when you see them!"] Stephen.

I found this question from Stephen dating back to 2012 but there were no responses. Now I am planning to walk the Via de la Plata starting mid March and for the first time I am thinking I should download a map app on my phone since I will be walking alone. Since I am barely in this century, technologically speaking, I am wondering if there are any recommendations and, most important, how do I go about obtaining and downloading it. I know that Wise Pilgrim has new maps (Wisely) but the VdlP is not one of them, as far as I know. I'd love to hear what people have used, how to get it, and if it will work when there is no reception/off line. And if there is anything I should be considering that I have not thought of!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found this question from Stephen dating back to 2012 but there were no responses. Now I am planning to walk the Via de la Plata starting mid March and for the first time I am thinking I should download a map app on my phone since I will be walking alone. Since I am barely in this century, technologically speaking, I am wondering if there are any recommendations and, most important, how do I go about obtaining and downloading it. I know that Wise Pilgrim has new maps (Wisely) but the VdlP is not one of them, as far as I know. I'd love to hear what people have used, how to get it, and if it will work when there is no reception/off line. And if there is anything I should be considering that I have not thought of!
Hola
Go to wikiloc.com and search for Via de la Plata.
There are several files showing the route VdlP.
Remember to choos to have the hiking and walking files shown.

Here is a link to one:
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...arab-variant-de-verin-i-xinzo-da-limia-798247

It may seem a little difficult for you at first, but I am only showing your the way.
Have a look and you will learn more as you go :)

Buen camino
Lettinggo

Thank you Letting but I tried wikiloc.com and couldn't make head or tails of it (I know I am technicologically challenged!). Maybe I haven't been clear about what I am looking for.

As I understand it, there is an app that shows the route in the form of a map of the Via de la Plata, from Seville to Santiago (perhaps in stages that need to be repeatedly downloaded -- something I didn't know about before) and then, most importantly, a dot that shows where you are on the route (or off the route if lost!). Is there a recommendation folks can make of such an app and instructions on how I can download it onto my Samsung Android phone before I leave home.

In addition, would such an app work if offline? without WiFi? or would I need to add data to my phone?
And would I need a supplemental battery if I only used it when in doubt/lost and charged my phone every night. I am not interested in checking my phone unless I think I have lost the route.

Hi Ritaj

I'm walking the VDLP starting March 1st or 2nd. I'm pretty technologically challenged too!
I've downloaded an app called Peregrino Online. I paid for the version I got but it wasn't much...a few ££. It is in several languages - language tabs at the bottom of the screen.
Its pretty easy to use from what I can see so far. One of the tabs says 'Download Tracks' and tells me to email for the maps which I've just done. I guess this means it won't matter if i have access to wifi/data or not.

I've also downloaded the Maps.Me app. I spent some time looking at it and trying to work it out and seems you can download maps for specific areas when you want so that you can access anytime. I think I've downloaded all the maps for the VDLP..hoping so.

It really gives me no pleasure doing this as I find it quite hard to work it all out however I know having it will be a great help when I'm tired and struggling to find the hostel!

Hope some of this is the info you need?
Megg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) but the Wise Pilgrim app will be ready soon, I have to old one on my phone as I have the others too, with the CF it automatically updated to the new one last week.
You can't get better than the WP apps IMHO.

Hello Ritaj: I have had good success using an app by the name of MAPS.ME. I am not very technologically savvy, so there may be an easier way to do it, but this is what I have done:

1. Download MAPS.ME onto your mobile phone.
2. Find maps for the route that are in a .kml format. Here is a website for some maps (although I cannot vouch for the accuracy). http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/loadCamSan.do
3. Download each section of the route you want onto your desktop or laptop. You will need Google Earth on the desktop or laptop to do this. It is a hassle to do it section by section, but it works.
4. E-mail yourself from the desktop or laptop with the file for each section as an attachment, and open the e-mail on your mobile phone. When you go to open the attachment with the .kml file on your phone, it should give you a number of options of how to open the file. One of the options should be to open it with MAPS.ME.

It may sound complicated, but I was able to do it, so that generally means almost anybody can. It's worth the effort in my opinion. Good luck!

found this free app whilst on the vldp last spring ,,called Windy Maps ,,, shows virtually every Walking Track imagined ,,,so you download the app ,,then you can download the part of Spain (or wherever )and then turn off data and using only the gps on your phone ,,is beautiful !!!! note free too

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.