• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata DVD's

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Rosina posted this message on the St James@Yahoo Forum and as she doesn't belong to this Forum I thought I would pass it on to interested pilgrims:.

I've just begun to watch the Via de la Plata DVDs that I got in Santiago last month; they are stunningly GORGEOUS, and then some.
The discs contain fourteen 45-minutes episodes for a total duration of 640 minutes. Each episode covers a specific 80 to 100 kms segment and it completes the entire 1,000 kms of the Via narrating the history and circumstances of its creation over the last 3,000 years, and visiting its most important and emblematic monuments and places.

The Moors were able to occupy Spain in a relatively short time because of the fabulous network of of extraordinary cobbled highways which the Romans created throughout the Peninsula, particularly in the route of the Via de la Plata. The Arab word for the paved connecting highways of the Via was "al blasat" (cobbled), which Latinized became "plata", whence the name of the Via which is totally unrelated to silver.

The discs start out by showing the covered section on a map to fix its location, and then follow the route from the air showing every river, every range, every forest, every town and so on. The aerial view lingers above the cities, monuments and churches in a way that one can really appreciate the greatness of their structure in relation to their surroundings. When a particular town, church, monastery. monument or significant university or particular activity comes into view, learned commentators serve as guides thereof with an erudition, clarity and richness of detail superior to anything I've ever seen in similar PBS programs.

The series was produced by an outfit called DIVISA HOME VIDEO 2006 located in Valladolid (in association with TVE, the National Television Center of Spain); they have a home page : http://www.divisared.es

The full title of the DVDs is "Ruta Via de la Plata".
The package also shows another address: RutaViadelaPlata@RTVE2006
in addition to the http://www.divisared.es

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would love to get these dvds having walked the vdlp last month but does anyone know whether they have english subtitles?
thanks
Kevin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kevin - they appear to only be in Spanish but Rosina who originally recommended them says that the content, scenery and ariel photography more than compensate! They are also very reasonably priced.

VdlP DVD's

Thank you John - such good news for those who have done, or who are planning to do the Via de La Plata.
Can you share with us how much they cost?
Sil

the DVD is 20 Euros - I followed the link from http://www.divisared.es, searched for Ruta Via de la Plata, chose the left-hand symbol, got to list of online retailers, went for El Corte Ingles - had to register (fortunately registration page has english option though spanish-style address formats) - back to dvd page - add to basket - credit card details - now waiting eagerly for postman

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've checked the corte ingles site but unfortunately the postage to australia is more than double the cost of the dvd set. Looks like i will have to wait till i get to santiago next year.
kevin

Re: Via de la Plata - cobbles?!

sillydoll said:
The Moors were able to occupy Spain in a relatively short time because of the fabulous network of of extraordinary cobbled highways which the Romans created throughout the Peninsula, particularly in the route of the Via de la Plata. The Arab word for the paved connecting highways of the Via was "al blasat" (cobbled), which Latinized became "plata", whence the name of the Via which is totally unrelated to silver.

just for the record, Roman roads were not 'cobbled' - if they were, the Romans would have never conquered anything as the soldiers would have been too busy nursing their twisted ankles. The Romans called them 'strata' - whence English 'street' - which means 'smoothed' or 'leveled', often translated as 'paved' though only a few were paved, most being compacted earth or gravel type surface. The Arabic word has a similar meaning. The southern part of the original Via de la Plata (Merida-Astorga) was paved, the northern part compacted earth.
[end of lecture]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Roman roads

You are absolutely right Peter. Excepting for your quote "Sillydoll wrote"
The text you quoted was written by Rosina (and posted as such on this Forum by me).
We walked on many sections of Roman Roads in Italy and all were huge Basalt rocks fitted together like crazy paving.
Sil

Those DVDs, can they work on American electronic devices? I know Spanish VHS tapes do not work here. I would love to see them, but unsure if I could.
Lillian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Re: Via de la Plata DVD on a NTSC machine

DVDs generally are created to work in regions. i believe the USA is region 1 and Europe is region 2. i can be wrong.... to SEE the DVD contents one would have to use a region-free DVD player and in NYC with all das foreigners there, they DO sell them and one can also find the region-free DVD players online. the best way to see is to check the back cover of the DVD itself and at the bottom, see if it lists PAL (europe) or NTSC (USA). oh well... bad news: i just clicked on the website link and found the DVD and it comes apparently listed as being only spanish and only PAL. one might also try viewing it on a computer and see if the DVD playback program used allows switching from original PAL format and viewable in NTSC... might work!!! good luck and I'm waiting to see fotos and read your comments Lillian about your fantastic journey!!!!

one day ~ when I'm living in Spain again ~ i'll do the via de la plata por fin!!!

RUTA VÍA DE LA PLATA Pack (4 DVD)

La Ruta de la Plata es una vía natural querecorre España de norte a sur, paralela a la frontera portuguesa a una distancia media aproximada de 80 a 100 kilómetros. La serie RUTA VÍA DE LA PLATA sigue todo su recorrido, explicando su historia y circunstancias a lo largo de más de tres mil años y visitando los lugares y localidades más importantes y emblemáticos.
Quienes en la Prehistoria abrieron esta vía, lo hicieron porque hay pasos naturales en las cordilleras, puertos relativamente fáciles y los ríos se vadean sin dificultad, salvo en época de crecidas. Parece acreditado el tránsito de hombres y ganados por este camino desde el Neolítico. Los romanos lo usaron en su penetración desde la Bética hasta el norte y les resultó fundamental en la conquista.
Los árabes, que se apoderaron de la Península en muy poco tiempo gracias a la red de calzadas romanas, se referían a esta Vía como "al blata" (enlosada) y de la deformación de la palabra árabe deriva el actual nombre de la plata.
La calzada fue utilizada hasta finales del siglo XVIII, cuando empezó a ser sustituida, poco a poco, por carreteras. La autopista Ruta de la Plata restablecerá, cuando esté finalizada, la importancia histórica de la más antigua e importante vía de comunicación de España.

Año: 2006
Director: PABLO GARCÍA GONZÁLEZ y RICARDO RODRÍGUEZ MARTÍN
Duración: 630 min.
Clasificación: Documental
Sonido: DOLBY: ESTÉREO
Idiomas: Español
Subtítulos: Sin subtítulos
Imagen: ORIGINAL 1'78:1
Sistema: PAL
Calificación: PARA TODOS LOS PÚBLICOS

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back