• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la plata- Hard Map?

Amanda

Getting ready to walk the via de la plata in a few weeks and I have the Walking guide by Gerald Kelly but no map. Did a few google searches and had no luck. Anybody have advice- Do I need one? Is there one? Where can I get one?
Also, I have heard talk about passports for the main camino but is there such a thing for the via de la plata.

Thanks for the advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Amanda, welcome to the forum!

I hope that the weather treats you well, because leaving from Sevilla in September can be really really hot.

When I walked, my only guide was the pages I printed off from the Eroski site, which has maps. I don't know whether you speak Spanish, but the site is at caminodesantiago.consumer.es There are schematic maps, info on albergues, really everything you need to know.

You can get the pilgrim's credencial (I think that's what you mean by passport) in Sevilla, but others will have to chime in as to the specific locations. I'm assuming that's where you are starting from, but I may be wrong. If you're in the US, you probably have time to get one from American Pilgrims on the Camino -- see their website.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Amanda, welcome to the forum!

I hope that the weather treats you well, because leaving from Sevilla in September can be really really hot.

When I walked, my only guide was the pages I printed off from the Eroski site, which has maps. I don't know whether you speak Spanish, but the site is at caminodesantiago.consumer.es There are schematic maps, info on albergues, really everything you need to know.

You can get the pilgrim's credencial (I think that's what you mean by passport) in Sevilla, but others will have to chime in as to the specific locations. I'm assuming that's where you are starting from, but I may be wrong. If you're in the US, you probably have time to get one from American Pilgrims on the Camino -- see their website.

Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum, Amanda and I wish you a great Camino.

After a lot of research I never was able to find a good map for the VdlP. I did use the map/guide provided by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla that they sell from their offices at #82 Calle de Castilla in Sevilla. See www.viaplata.org. But be advised, as of April when I got the guide, several pages were out of date.

Basically my routine each evening on the VdlP was to plan the next day's hike by referring to the guide for a general idea and look for helpful hints and corrections on the VdlP mobile app - And then the next morning forget the whole thing and just follow the fletchas.

I did carry a GoogeEarth print out of the route from http://www.godesalco.com/plan, but I found the maps pretty useless.

Last edited:
Hi Amanda,
I got my pilgrim's passport or credencial at the Triana Hostel in Sevilla which is also where I stayed:http://www.trianabackpackers.com/. At the time it was 12 euros including the credencial but you need to tell them that you are a pilgrim. I just checked the website and saw that it is now 13 euros but for Sevilla I believe that it is a good deal. The rooms are clean, location is right off the Camino and it includes breakfast. Lots of pilgrims stay there too.
I swear by the website which bsewall mentioned above. I have never printed out the maps but have used their Camino Planer for the Francés, Via de la Plata and Sanabrés: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/plata in order to get an idea of the stage distances and albergue locations. If you print on both sides you only have 2-3 pages for the entire route from Sevilla to SdC through Ourense. I referred to that list more often than to my guide.
Another wonderful site is: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/via-de-la-plata.htm. It is in Spanish but I find it easier to use and I believe more up-to-date than the Eroski or Mundicamino sites. Here is the map for the first stage from Sevilla: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/via-de-la-plata/etapa-1-sevilla-guillena.htm
I did Sevilla-Zamora in July 2011 and Zamora to SdC (via the Sanabrés) this summer. I definately plan on returning one day to do it all over again- it is a wonderful Camino!
Cheers,
LT

If you want a physical map of the route then you might want to consider purchasing the 100 page guidebook from the local association Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla. Please note they have limited hours that they are open since the association is staffed with volunteers. If you decide to stay at the Triana Backpackers you can ask them to pick up a copy of the same guide in advance of your arrival.

To my knowledge it is the only detailed paper of the route other than printing out copies of the some of the online maps others have already suggested. We used this guidebook along with an app, and some additional online documentation and overall the paper guide proved to the most useful guide.

Also as pointed out by others, the actual route is under construction in some areas, and some accommodation has closed while others have opened, so any guide you use ( online or paper) will be out of slightly out of date.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Getting ready to walk the via de la plata in a few weeks and I have the Walking guide by Gerald Kelly but no map. Did a few google searches and had no luck. Anybody have advice- Do I need one? Is there one? Where can I get one?
Also, I have heard talk about passports for the main camino but is there such a thing for the via de la plata.

Thanks for the advice
Hi Amanda. I agree that the best most up-to-date info is the Eroski Camino website; it's also an iPhone app which is great when walking. You can also get a credencial at the Hotel Simon in Sevilla. When are you starting? Despite my forum name I'm a lone female pilgrim, starting from Sevilla around 18 th September. I'd really appreciate some company on the first one or two stages because of the reports of robberies at knife-point on solo pilgrims. Anyway - Buen Camino.

I walked part of the VDLP in April this year and used the guide book published by the Amigos which Jirit has mentioned and I bought from Triana Backpackers. Email them beforehand. They also sell the Credential, for 2 euros from memory. You can also get the Credential and first sello from the Cathedral. Although the English version of the guide was only a month out after publication, several of the albergues had closed and others opened, but it was no problem - there was always an albergue to stay at. You can also get the Credential at Hotel Simon, and maybe the guide, but email them beforehand. The problem with buying the guide directly from the Amigos is that they do not take Visa or MasterCard, and their office is only open on Tues, Wed and Thurs for an hour in the evening, but if these times are suitable for you, they will be most happy to see and offer advice.

Hi Amanda. I agree that the best most up-to-date info is the Eroski Camino website; it's also an iPhone app which is great when walking. You can also get a credencial at the Hotel Simon in Sevilla. When are you starting? Despite my forum name I'm a lone female pilgrim, starting from Sevilla around 18 th September. I'd really appreciate some company on the first one or two stages because of the reports of robberies at knife-point on solo pilgrims. Anyway - Buen Camino.
I also am starting from Seville ,Sept.19 and am traveling alone for first 100 kms.
I also am female and would love company for beginning stages.
Can we hookup in Seville?

Hi Amanda,
Firstly, welcome to the site.
I am also walking from Sevilla (around 7-9th sept) and can confirm that even if you don’t have detailed maps you will be fine. I walked this route in 2008 with only the CSJ guide. No problem and loads of fun.
This time I’m just taking Jirit’s guide (available here on the site) of albergues and teh CSJ guide. I’m actually hoping to take the Portuguese variant from Zamora to Verin this time - just for variety.
I’m happy to help with any other queries you may have.
Buen Camino, Grace

Hi Amanda, have you tried Peter Robbin's "The Walking Pilgrim" website? He has maps that can be easily accessed. However you may not need to have a map for every stage. We found that we tended to get lost in towns rather than on the route. Good luck!

I am starting in Sevilla 19 September 2014, also a solo woman. Will stay Triana or Albergue Juvenil beforehand.

Bernice M

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For all you on your way or starting out today Buen Camino. The Plata is a favorite of mine. Actually going back for a third time. I have seen it in the heat of the summer, the winter and now the fall. As I will be starting out next Wednesday from Granada, I won't see you on the first leg but maybe further North.

Thinking about walking the Via de la Platta this time around, but seems to be a lack of guide books......Any suggestions/recommendations, and sadly don't speak Spanish? I am supposing the Eroski Camino guide is in Spanish?

Hello "cloosh" I have found the Apple App "VDLP" by Melanie McManus extremely helpful in planing for the Via de la Plata. I know that it sometimes difficult to read the phone screen in the strong daylight. Its a good app and it is fairly up to date. What I liked about it was that it has offline maps. Also the instructions for getting through villages/towns very helpful and detailed. It also has a helpful section for "tricky spots." Also in some sections there are comments by users which is an added bonus.
Happy planning. When are you planning to walk the "Silver route?"
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thinking about walking the Via de la Platta this time around, but seems to be a lack of guide books......Any suggestions/recommendations, and sadly don't speak Spanish? I am supposing the Eroski Camino guide is in Spanish?
Hi Cloosh,
You’ll love the VdlP. I have walked it twice now (spring and Autumn) and both experiences were incredible. Last time I used Malanie’s app and Jirit’s accom list(find it here on the site). Really I could have gotten by with nothing. It’s well-marked and only a few tricky spots that Mel’s app got me through. You’ll most likely end up with a few others though. We found that the German pilgrims had a good guide too so between the little group there was always a solution.

Accommodation is easy and fantastic ! Plenty of space until Merida and then a few more pilgrims join in. Allow plenty of time for ‘spare’ days in Caceres, Merida, Salamanca (mandatory!), Zamora and maybe Ourense.
Enjoy your camino and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions
I actually took the Portuguese variant from Zamora to Verin last year (an adventure in itself).

Cheers, Grace

Cloosh,
In addition to Melanie's app, I recommend Gerald Kelly's accommodation guide. They are complementary, although Gerald concentrates on albergues. It's downloadable as a pdf, but it's really designed as a book. He's extended it recently.
No guide I have seen had useful maps, at least to a useful scale, so don't bother. Just rely on the arrows. I binned four paper guides along the route and relied on Melanie and Gerald.
Good luck. You will love it!

I relied on the very detailed IGN (Spain) maps available on Peter Robbins Walking Pilgrim website. I actually made my own map book from cropped (with scissors) printouts, but then I'm a bit obsessive about knowing every step of the way! Definitely, have a look at the website, the detail is stunning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Cloosh,
You’ll love the VdlP. I have walked it twice now (spring and Autumn) and both experiences were incredible. Last time I used Malanie’s app and Jirit’s accom list(find it here on the site). Really I could have gotten by with nothing. It’s well-marked and only a few tricky spots that Mel’s app got me through. You’ll most likely end up with a few others though. We found that the German pilgrims had a good guide too so between the little group there was always a solution.

Accommodation is easy and fantastic ! Plenty of space until Merida and then a few more pilgrims join in. Allow plenty of time for ‘spare’ days in Caceres, Merida, Salamanca (mandatory!), Zamora and maybe Ourense.
Enjoy your camino and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions
I actually took the Portuguese variant from Zamora to Verin last year (an adventure in itself).

Cheers, Grace
Hi all,
We're planning to start the Via de la Plata on April 1. Do you think it's necessary to take big sleeping bags or do most/all places provide blankets? Hate to carry extra weight!
Ultreia!

If you intend sleeping in Albergues I would take a light down bag. I always do, and in April/May 2013 on the VDLP it was really cold some nights.
I did stay in a few Pensions and private rooms also. It was a very cold spring that year all over Spain so who knows what this year has in store!
Buen Camino!

Cloosh,
In addition to Melanie's app, I recommend Gerald Kelly's accommodation guide. They are complementary, although Gerald concentrates on albergues. It's downloadable as a pdf, but it's really designed as a book. He's extended it recently.
No guide I have seen had useful maps, at least to a useful scale, so don't bother. Just rely on the arrows. I binned four paper guides along the route and relied on Melanie and Gerald.
Good luck. You will love it!
Bernice did you walk on your own? I'm a single walking intending to walk VDLP from May 1 2015, the previous post about robberies at knife point was a bit concerning!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bernice did you walk on your own? I'm a single walking intending to walk VDLP from May 1 2015, the previous post about robberies at knife point was a bit concerning!

Hi Sydneycoastal walker. I started the VDLP alone on 19 September, but on my second night met up with a Canadian woman, Betty. We didn't walk together for about ten days, as she wasn't well, but after that we were together for the rest of the trail. I felt very safe in Spain and even in isolated areas felt no sense of threats. We were 60 and 67, and, apart from our sticks, really didn't have any protection. The theft element early on was dealt with, I understand, as the culprits were caught. You'll meet up with people on the route and will probably coalesce into a loose little band as you go.

You'll love the VDLP. It's fab and really not too strenuous until getting near Galicia, by which time you will have walked hundreds of kms and will be really fit. But be kind to yourself. Try not to have a deadline and give yourself days off when you need them. We found one day off at a time was usually sufficient.

Hi Sydneycoastal walker. I started the VDLP alone on 19 September, but on my second night met up with a Canadian woman, Betty. We didn't walk together for about ten days, as she wasn't well, but after that we were together for the rest of the trail. I felt very safe in Spain and even in isolated areas felt no sense of threats. We were 60 and 67, and, apart from our sticks, really didn't have any protection. The theft element early on was dealt with, I understand, as the culprits were caught. You'll meet up with people on the route and will probably coalesce into a loose little band as you go.

You'll love the VDLP. It's fab and really not too strenuous until getting near Galicia, by which time you will have walked hundreds of kms and will be really fit. But be kind to yourself. Try not to have a deadline and give yourself days off when you need them. We found one day off at a time was usually sufficient.
Wasn't too hot, Bernice at that time of the year?

Wasn't too hot, Bernice at that time of the year?
No, we were blessed with fabulous weather, with two full days of rain and two four-hour periods in all the time we were on the road. People told us that it was exceptionally good weather. As an NZer, I find high temperatures difficult, but even the dry heat coming from Seville was okay; although sometimes a wee siesta en route was called for.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, we were blessed with fabulous weather, with two full days of rain and two four-hour periods in all the time we were on the road. People told us that it was exceptionally good weather. As an NZer, I find high temperatures difficult, but even the dry heat coming from Seville was okay; although sometimes a wee siesta en route was called for.
Bernice, coming from Adelaide I should be used to the dry heat, but if I'm going to start on 13 September I'd better get practising right now!. You can be lucky though - on my recent Frances I only had about 4 days of light rain, and none at all in Galicia, so hopefully my luck will hold for the VDLP.

Thanks Bernice, I've decided to do it and will be heading out from Seville on April 30th this year!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sydneycoastalwalker I'm walking solo on 20th April and noting Peregrina2000 comments the civil guardia are patrolling the area. Also the Amigos are aware of this situation. Safety in numbers you'll have fun and meet heaps of people.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back