• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in April?

Isabeila

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017)
Norte (2018)
Frances (2019)
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Even though I have already walked the Camino Frances and Camino del Norte, I feel so unsure and some what "afraid" about setting off from Seville to Santiago April 1st. Therefore I hoped to get in contact with pilgrims leaving from Seville at the same time - or around that time. This is a very spontaneous decision so I would love to have a sparring partner about the trip, preparations ect. To be honest, I just need a helping hand regarding the first day. Then I will be totally fine all the way to Santiago. 😄

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh Isabeila,
I would love to be able to be that sparring partner. But I'm starting in June and not on the Vdlp. I have walked the Vdlp several times, though, always in spring, always starting out alone, and always meeting people in Sevilla itself, at the Itálica ruins, and in Guillena. As a "repeat offender" on the Camino, can you identify what it is that is giving you the anxiety? Because I am sure you had the same sense of the unknown with your first two caminos. I have walked so many caminos my family thinks I am nuts, and I always start with the same nervous anxiety, but it disappears with the first steps. I assume that is not what you are talking about, though.
Anyway, just to say that there is no reason why you should expect this camino to throw you a loop when the first two didn't. There may not be as many peregrinos, though spring is high season and you will have company if you want it, I bet. Albergues are good, though of course there aren´t as many as on other caminos. And the cities you go through, if you can continue all the way to Santiago, are just incredible -- Sevilla, Mérida, Cáceres, Salamanca, Zamora, and Ourense. That´s a crazy number of wonderful places, not to mention the many nice small towns. But the wildflowers. And the dehesa in Extremadura (not sure how it translates but it refers to fields filled with boulders, oaks, livestock, green, white flours, just beautiful in springtime.) I think you will love it, in fact I know that there are many forum memers who have walked many caminos who have this same soft spot for the Vdlp.

My thoughts are exactly as Peregrina2000. I walked VDLP 2 years ago and loved.
Just start walking.
Nothing to worry about. Just nice days of walking and Albergues at the end of the day just like any other Camino.
Have walked 7 Caminos and maybe VDLP is my favourite.
I hope to be there again in early April. Not sure what dates but we might cross paths. I am a very late planner.
Enjoy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello fellow pilgrims!

Even though I have already walked the Camino Frances and Camino del Norte, I feel so unsure and some what "afraid" about setting off from Seville to Santiago April 1st. Therefore I hoped to get in contact with pilgrims leaving from Seville at the same time - or around that time. This is a very spontaneous decision so I would love to have a sparring partner about the trip, preparations ect. To be honest, I just need a helping hand regarding the first day. Then I will be totally fine all the way to Santiago. 😄
Hi Isabeila
I think it’s natural to feel just a wee bit anxious of the unknown. I take a while to get in the groove.
There is a link below to the thread started by @JillGat listing approx dates of departures along Vdlp mainly over spring

I see there are a couple from this forum on the list for 1 April (Monday )

Although I’m down for 6th April departing from Sevilla / should read 7th April. I’m aiming at stopping to look at Italica on my day 1 (to Guillena).
I believe it is closed Monday’s so if you are hoping to have a look., you may need to get there either before 1st or leave a day later.

I’m happy for you to PM me for any reason

Buen camino
Annie

Hello Isabeila, we too areleaving form Seville in early April. We anticipate about the 4th. (We initialy thought the 1st but as it turns out our close family is staying in 150 km away from Seville so we'll go see them first! Might see you on the way, have a wonderful time!
Never walked a camino in our lives, and it is the relative quietness that attracted us to the Via!

I will arrive March 30 and start to walk on April 1. Maybe we will meet somewhere?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Isabeila, I hope to leave Sevilla on Thursday 28th March, like you I have walked some previous Caminos.
I am using Gerald Kelly's 2019 edition book to prepare and have Map.Me on my iPhone with GK's route downloaded onto it. This looks very helpful.
See you on route.

Hello Isabeila
I'm on day three of the VDLP and was a little anxious starting but it's actually all fine. The albergues are great, the path excellent and a small bunch of fellow travellers some of whom are becoming my pilgrim family. Within a day my confidence has strengthened and I have the feeling now I CAN do this.
We have met and are walking alongside a lone 76 year old woman who does not speak Spanish -I don't either - and she is an inspiration to me. We are all managing fine and having a great time. Am sure you will too.
I have greatly valued the advice of a person on the forum who recommended Windy Maps App. Am finding it brilliant, so easy to follow and use and gives me a lot of confidence that I am in the right place! No need to data to use.
Warm regards
Megg

Hello fellow pilgrims!

Hi Isabeila,
I, like you, have walked the Frances a few times as well as del Norte. I was going to set off in mid March on the Plata route, but now am pushing this back a bit til mid April (2019). I was quite fit before some serious health issues, so I will be moving rather slowly in the first stages. My biggest concern is the weather -- I don't want to get caught up in scorching temps.
I'd love to share ideas and thoughts!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting a day before you and staying in the Triana Backpackers on the 29/30th. You are bound to catch me up at some point, as I'm going to be taking my time. I wouldn't worry about anything. Your worries will simply drift away once you start walking out from the suburbs of Sevilla!
I've also created a simple one page map that acts as a planner for the VDLP. Hopefully you and some others may find it useful. Buen Camino!

https://anthikes.com/via-de-la-plata-big-picture/

Last edited:
Hello Isabeila, I hope to leave Sevilla on Thursday 28th March, like you I have walked some previous Caminos.
I am using Gerald Kelly's 2019 edition book to prepare and have Map.Me on my iPhone with GK's route downloaded onto it. This looks very helpful.
See you on route.
DaveJ, I have maps.me on my android phone, although I have not used it much. Can you describe how one downloads GKs route onto it. thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Vicquilterv, Map.me uses kml files which GK has on his website, these files have to be unzipped using something like WinZip then opened using map.me.
I am no expert on this and just about managed to get the route onto the map, it downloaded onto the map in the various sections, but the whole route was shown which was great.
Before downloading the file you need to load up the sections of the open street maps of Spain from map.me, for the Via de la Plata that is 5 of the 25 sections of the Spanish Map.
Hope this helps, or someone with far more knowledge on the forum may be able to explain it better.
Dave

I am starting a day before you and staying in the Triana Backpackers on the 29/30th. You are bound to catch me up at some point, as I'm going to be taking my time. I wouldn't worry about anything. Your worries will simply drift away once you start walking out from the suburbs of Sevilla!

I've also created a simple one page map that acts as a planner for the VDLP. Hopefully you and some others may find it useful. Buen Camino!

https://anthikes.com/via-de-la-plata-big-picture/
Don’t plan on much sleep at Triana Back packers.
Recommend changing to I.e. Hotel Simon. Many walkers stay at Simon.
One block from cathedral

I stayed at Triana. Terrible!
Nice folks there. But, they are the party types. Till late, real late. Not a Alburge as us walkers know it.

Walking in April... days are hot.
Watch your water intake and supply.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

Hi! I walked the VLDP in 2016, starting April 3 from Seville. Bring good rain gear, we had a lot of rainy days. Also lots of water on the trail, sometimes requiring detours where streams were in flood. Footgear that is water resistant is important, and bring some extra socks, as I found there is no such thing as waterproof hiking boots.....
On the plus side, the spring is beautiful, lots of flowers out and the sunny days were particularly nice.
Enjoy, it’s a wonderful walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very little rain so far this year. One 1/2 day rain and the rest dry - I started on the 2nd March. Good to be prepared of course but when I heard last year was very wet I had hoped this year might not be so...and so far so good!

I am on the VDLP now with my husband. Started in Sevilla on the 6th. Today it is a beautiful day in El Real de la Jara. The flowers, oaks, herbs, wildlife and domestic &farm animals on the many private lands the Camino passes were spectacular. The weather is excellent. Only one rainy day so far.
Enjoy your walk.

Hi Vicquilterv, Map.me uses kml files which GK has on his website, these files have to be unzipped using something like WinZip then opened using map.me.
I am no expert on this and just about managed to get the route onto the map, it downloaded onto the map in the various sections, but the whole route was shown which was great.
Before downloading the file you need to load up the sections of the open street maps of Spain from map.me, for the Via de la Plata that is 5 of the 25 sections of the Spanish Map.
Hope this helps, or someone with far more knowledge on the forum may be able to explain it better.
Dave
Try Windy Maps app,,, much simpler,,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
One block from cathedral

Nice folks there. But, they are the party types. Till late, real late. Not a Alburge as us walkers know it.

Maybe I was lucky but I had a very good stay at Triana... Lots of young people, yes but everyone was quiet...

Hotel Simon was very comfortable and reasonable. The staff was especially helpful. They kindly called a private hostel for me as I was struggling with translation. The breakfast buffet was a great way to start the first day’s walk.
I’m using the Silver Way Platinum app and Gerald Kelly’s latest edition. Met some Germans who had a great guide. Not in English unfortunately.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! I walked the VLDP in 2016, starting April 3 from Seville. Bring good rain gear, we had a lot of rainy days. Also lots of water on the trail, sometimes requiring detours where streams were in flood. Footgear that is water resistant is important, and bring some extra socks, as I found there is no such thing as waterproof hiking boots.....
On the plus side, the spring is beautiful, lots of flowers out and the sunny days were particularly nice.
Enjoy, it’s a wonderful walk.
Anyone else experience lots of rain/wet weather in April? Were the paths really that wet and muddy?
I was planning to ditch my heavy waterproof trail shoes for lighter weight non waterproof (and hence more breathable) ones in view of the heat.

Anyone else experience lots of rain/wet weather in April? Were the paths really that wet and muddy?
I was planning to ditch my heavy waterproof trail shoes for lighter weight non waterproof (and hence more breathable) ones in view of the heat.

Sorry Espee84,
Can't answer your question about April weather on the VdLP.

I just wanted to pop by and say the uneccessary - "I would take both pairs or ditch the heavy shoes and take extra socks; along with a very disciplined stop routine every 1hour or so to change socks and let my feet dry for 15 mins or so if it was wet."

Buen (happy-feet) Camino

Hi Isabeila
I'll be walking from Seville on the 30th March, a couple days ahead of you. I always feel a bit anxious before a walk beings too ! I only have 10 days of walking this time so I'll be stopping somewhere between Merida and Caceres but our paths may cross ! Have a fantastic walk & buen camino
Duncan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry Espee84,
Can't answer your question about April weather on the VdLP.

I just wanted to pop by and say the uneccessary - "I would take both pairs or ditch the heavy shoes and take extra socks; along with a very disciplined stop routine every 1hour or so to change socks and let my feet dry for 15 mins or so if it was wet."

Buen (happy-feet) Camino
Thanks. On the Frances in June/July last year many people were walking in socks and sandals.
‘Heavy’ trail shoes are making my feet hot even in UK spring temperatures - hence looking for alternative. Non waterproof trail shoes seemed sensible for breathability. If there’s heavy rain your feet will probably get wet whatever you’re wearing, but if the paths are just soggy/squelchy that’s a different matter and going for the waterproof equivalent might be worthwhile.

Hi Isabeila,
I, like you, have walked the Frances a few times as well as del Norte. I was going to set off in mid March on the Plata route, but now am pushing this back a bit til mid April (2019). I was quite fit before some serious health issues, so I will be moving rather slowly in the first stages. My biggest concern is the weather -- I don't want to get caught up in scorching temps.
I'd love to share ideas and thoughts!
Hi, if you start in early April you will not have scorching temps, it will be mild and cool at times. Bring rain gear, pack cover, waterproof boots, extra socks. As I said in another response on this thread, I found April very wet, lots of showers, some days of steady rain, and lots and lots of mud and detours to avoid swollen streams and flooded paths. Of course that was in April 2016, you may have a completely different experience. Whatever, it’s a great walk.

Hi, if you start in early April you will not have scorching temps, it will be mild and cool at times. Bring rain gear, pack cover, waterproof boots, extra socks. As I said in another response on this thread, I found April very wet, lots of showers, some days of steady rain, and lots and lots of mud and detours to avoid swollen streams and flooded paths. Of course that was in April 2016, you may have a completely different experience. Whatever, it’s a great walk.
While you won’t have the best of Seville’s heat — scorching — but the days will be hot.
Hot days start in March for Seville.
Further north you get cooler it gets in day time

Yes, nights in and around Seville can be cool. Even on very hot days it can be cool at night. Especially right before sunrise.

Lots of good advice given.

I stress again have ample water reserves. Drink often.

I always have one foil emergency blanket and energy bar(s) in pack as back up.

The leg from Cadiz to Seville is in poor shape.
Do not recommend doing it.

Such a shame. Would be nice starting at cathedral in Cadiz.

Good luckenjoy
Blessings

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
While you won’t have the best of Seville’s heat — scorching — but the days will be hot.
Hot days start in March for Seville.
Further north you get cooler it gets in day time

Yes, nights in and around Seville can be cool. Even on very hot days it can be cool at night. Especially right before sunrise.

Lots of good advice given.

I stress again have ample water reserves. Drink often.

I always have one foil emergency blanket and energy bar(s) in pack as back up.

The leg from Cadiz to Seville is in poor shape.
Do not recommend doing it.

Such a shame. Would be nice starting at cathedral in Cadiz.

Good luckenjoy
Blessings
Could start in La Linea de la Concepcion (Spanish town just north of Gibraltar)on the Via Serrana !! I have just arrived and start walking tomorrow!!

One block from cathedral

Walking in April... days are hot.
Watch your water intake and supply.

I am pretty use to staying in dorms with young folks, will probably be up late one of the nights too. Seems to have good reviews, but we will see!

I am pretty use to staying in dorms with young folks, will probably be up late one of the nights too. Seems to have good reviews, but we will see!
Stayed there last night and slept wonderfully,,, no noise,,, though i do use earplugs ,,and very helpful too,,,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back