• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in August 2016 - anybody else there?

smilingsara

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata August 2016
Hi,
I will start in Sevilla around August 17th. I am looking forward to walking a lot alone, but I also heard that it should be really lonesome at this time. Therefore I wanted to ask if anybody else will be there and maybe if someone wants to start together?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not me ;-) Please be careful and prepare for heat, drink enough water and carry salty food. The VdlP in August is not for the faint hearted. Please be careful and Buen Camino, SY

Nor me! Don't forget to take some shade, like a wide-brim hat or even better, an umbrella.
Take care and buen camino :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'll be on Camino, going to start in Cadiz or Jerez around 20ish July. I don't know dates yet.
I prefer to walk by myself, but would be happy to know if somebody on Camino with me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
I will start in Sevilla around August 17th. I am looking forward to walking a lot alone, but I also heard that it should be really lonesome at this time. Therefore I wanted to ask if anybody else will be there and maybe if someone wants to start together?
Hi I will be starting around the 25 August, so hopefully we will meet up.

Hi,
Hi Smilingsara.

I will be leaving Seville on 19 August. We might run into each other further down the trail. Buen Camino. Ross.

Hi,
Hi...I have done 4 Caminos with my wife but she cant come this year. There will be something nice about walking alone and I am looking forward to it.
It would still be good to have company and I hope to meet others.
I also had in mind around the 17th of August...(.if I go) as that was the date we started our first Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I met up with a friend on Santiago in August last year. He had just finished the VdlP. Looked like he had been on the barbie for a while, but was happy. He wanted a challenge and he got it and survived. I used to do shit like that. Anno Domini.

Good to know that there are at least some people around ;-) I also prefer to walk alone (I think ...) but still a start together would be nice . Anyway... I am sure we will meet - looking forward to it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi again :)

As I changed my date I wanted to ask again if anybody wants to start together? At least out of Seville? Would be great ;-)

New start Date: 18th August.

Totally excited Sara

Far too hot for me, 37C today and the next day and the next day and the . . . . .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As many people here don't recommend the via de la plata in August I just want to say that I am on it since 18th and it is fine .... As long as you start early enough to be at the next stop before the latest 2 pm! It IS the heat that is the most dangerous!
But it is always a bit windy and as the ground is dry you can rest all the time. Before noon it is totally fine afterwards it's just hot!
Nevertheless I really love it :)

Please everyone on the Plata now be careful!!! An english pilgrim died this week of heat exhaustion.
There is no shame taking transport!!
It is almost 10.30 pm in Caceres here and still 37 degrees.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a look at the news of the death of that pilgrim, apparently he set out without enough water nor food (salt!). Sad but most likely (if he didn't had any underlying health issues) avoidable. Be prepared for the worst and rejoice in the best. Buen Camino, SY

Hi,
I have also heard about it (it made the way through up to Salamanca already) but I heard it was a heart attack.
I am in Salamanca now and here are some pilgrims and they are all complaining about the heat.
I think you just have to listen to your body and take breaks!
I was with two other Austrians the last 4 days and we had a number of breaks. Therefore it was sometimes already 4pm when we arrived in the next albergue... But stil it is ok if you eat and drink lots of water and rest!
So I hope all of you who are on the Via by now are ok!
I will leave Salamanca on Saturday, just in case someone else also does ;)

@SYates: thank you sooooo much for your posts in the German forum. I use them nearly every day ;) and I saw your signature in Casar de Caceres ;)

Btw ... In Salamanca it was really a bit cold in the morning and also now it is not hot at all. During day it gets maybe 34. So it should get better ;)

... @SYates: thank you sooooo much for your posts in the German forum. I use them nearly every day ;) and I saw your signature in Casar de Caceres ;)

I also posted them here, there are amongst the stickies on this VdlP board ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back