• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in December-January

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suppose it is possble but the problem you might face is albergues being closed. This route is more isoltated and less travelled than others (which is its attaction as far as I'm concerned) but on the plus side the weather probably wouldn't be as severe as the CF-which goes pretty high is parts (ie the Pyrenees!). If you have the option may would be better as everything will be open but if you must go in the new year I think the VDLP is a good option as it starts low (25metres) and in the south where it would be warmer.

I was in the Galician section (read mountains) in July and it was cold then. I can only imagine Jan-Feb. And not sure on snow, visibility, especially arrows. Distances between towns? Sections where the cell phone did not have service. I am thinking safety here. Maybe someone in our forum who has done it in those months that had the experience? I loved the Via, and I am sure you will as well.
Lillian

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
December and January are the real bottom-out months on ALL the Caminos. Nothing is open, and there are NO fellow pilgs to be seen some days... the Via de la Plata even more so. I´m sure you´d be safe enough, but you´d be quite lonesome! And wet. It RAINS down in Caceres all through winter.

Reb.

Hi

Two years ago I set out from Seville on 2 January and walked to Salamanca where I had to return to the UK and complete the rest of the VdlP later in the year.

Whilst it is true that people were a little surprised to see me I had no difficulty finding accomodation. The albergues were open and the hospitaleros knew what was available up ahead.

The Amigos in Seville will be very helpful too.

At this time of the year this will be a remote walk - I only met one other pilgrim in 21 days - a guy who was driving to the start of each etapa and then getting the bus back to his car to g home. The VdlP in daily stages!

For many morning I had thick freezing fog - just me and the arrows like walking in a bubble. Then mid morning the sun would burn through and the temperature would rise. Almost like walking in summer.

With some planning, getting help if you need it phoning ahead etc - this can be a very rewarding experience.

Buen Camino ( and greetings from Santiago! )

John

Thank you all for the tips.

Given the cold of the winter I think I will do el Camino Frances in October-November and the Andalucian GR7 in late November-January given the cold of the via de la Plata route then.

The Wandering Bull

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was walking on winter 2006 (late february) from Zamora. A lot of snow, even in he same Zamora city, and of course in Padornelo and A Canda mountains. Absolutely no pilgrims. All albergues for you. Different as albergues in Camino Frances, all you need is to know where to take the keys (in a paper in the albergue's door or asking to anyone). My camino is not usual, I had much more snow, rain and cold than normally.

I'm telling what I found, but don't be afraid, it's a wonderful Camino to enjoy.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back