A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Via de la Plata in January

2020 Camino Guides

Ricardo2020

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Portugues 2019
Camino Portugues 2020
I have been invited to join a group that is walking the Via de la Plata from Caceres to Salamanca in the first two weeks of January. Previously I have walked the CF in Autumn, and the CP in Spring, and the weather was beautiful and albergues always available. But this is Winter. Can anyone advise me on the difficulty of obtaining accommodation in albergues in this period, these being our preferred style of accommodation. As far as clothing goes, I think we have enough experience in cold conditions to gear up properly.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,
on the Plata most albergues are open the whole year, but it is advisible to phone in advance, as some will only be opened upon request (e. g. Embalse de Alcantara). You will have to take a warm sleeping-bag as the albergues are only heated poorly if at all.
For accomodation you may check both Gronze and the list published by Antonio Retamoso. His Website is updated every 6-8 weeks.

BC
Alexandra

Ricardo2020

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Portugues 2019
Camino Portugues 2020
Via2010, thank you for your reply and such a good reference.
Grace and Peace

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
Yes. Plan those first days and contact the albergues to confirm that they will be operating.

Out of season, Im more confident about the bare bones, unheated, “shed” type places being open than the places that are actually attended - The donativo at Grimaldo is going to be open as long as you can pick up the key at the bar. You’ll find a roof, four walls, kitchen, hot shower (or a cold one of someone is greedy with the hot water). It’s not the Four Seasons but that’s not bad is it?

Father Blas’s albergue in Fuenterroble will certainly be up and running. I would recommend getting in touch with him ahead of time to let him know you’re on the road. He or his volunteers should be able to share some up to date info. on any weather conditions or obstacles. The high altitude point of the Camino is just after Fuenterroble so they will know if you can go that way or if you need to take the lower variant.

What an adventure. Enjoy it!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 353 28.4%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock