Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

Via de la Plata in January

Ricardo2020

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2016
Camino Portugues 2019
Camino Portugues 2020
I have been invited to join a group that is walking the Via de la Plata from Caceres to Salamanca in the first two weeks of January. Previously I have walked the CF in Autumn, and the CP in Spring, and the weather was beautiful and albergues always available. But this is Winter. Can anyone advise me on the difficulty of obtaining accommodation in albergues in this period, these being our preferred style of accommodation. As far as clothing goes, I think we have enough experience in cold conditions to gear up properly.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Via2010

06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,
on the Plata most albergues are open the whole year, but it is advisible to phone in advance, as some will only be opened upon request (e. g. Embalse de Alcantara). You will have to take a warm sleeping-bag as the albergues are only heated poorly if at all.
For accomodation you may check both Gronze and the list published by Antonio Retamoso. His Website is updated every 6-8 weeks.

BC
Alexandra

Ricardo2020

Camino Frances 2016
Camino Portugues 2019
Camino Portugues 2020
Via2010, thank you for your reply and such a good reference.
Grace and Peace

Raggy

Veteran Member
Yes. Plan those first days and contact the albergues to confirm that they will be operating.

Out of season, Im more confident about the bare bones, unheated, “shed” type places being open than the places that are actually attended - The donativo at Grimaldo is going to be open as long as you can pick up the key at the bar. You’ll find a roof, four walls, kitchen, hot shower (or a cold one of someone is greedy with the hot water). It’s not the Four Seasons but that’s not bad is it?

Father Blas’s albergue in Fuenterroble will certainly be up and running. I would recommend getting in touch with him ahead of time to let him know you’re on the road. He or his volunteers should be able to share some up to date info. on any weather conditions or obstacles. The high altitude point of the Camino is just after Fuenterroble so they will know if you can go that way or if you need to take the lower variant.

What an adventure. Enjoy it!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings