• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

via de la plata in June 17

anthony oneill

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal 2015.Del Norte 2016
Hi all,my first post ,planning to start in Seville 1 st June next year.....Anyone walked the VDLP this time of year ,would love to hear your thoughts re temperatures and alberges.I have walked from Lisbon (2015) and Irun (2016) both in July so have felt a little heat previously but am also struggling to get an English guide ...all advice much appreciated....Buen Camino.
Anthony .Limerick, Ireland.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Anthony,
I walked VdlP last year with my husband, leaving 2 June! I normally walk in July/August but wanted to avoid the extreme heat... It didn't work. That year was very hot.
We had temps varying from 36 to 40 deg., at night it was also unbearably hot (33 deg).
There weren't many pilgrims, about 10 of us and we sometimes caught up with each other.
No problems with albergues, except in embalse de Alcantara (there isn't one!). There are also some lovely 'casas rurales'.
It is a beautiful camino, lots to see, wonderful towns...
I am sorry to say that neither of us enjoyed it much though as walking in the heat was such a strain (for us!).
Using umbrellas as sun shade helped a lot. We also carried lots of water (min. 3 litres) but it does heat up quickly. There are a few long stretches without shops or cafes.
I am sure you'll love it, as long as you don't mind the heat! And it may be a bit cooler next June... :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Anthony,
I walked VdlP last year with my husband, leaving 2 June! I normally walk in July/August but wanted to avoid the extreme heat... It didn't work. That year was very hot.
We had temps varying from 36 to 40 deg., at night it was also unbearably hot (33 deg).
There weren't many pilgrims, about 10 of us and we sometimes caught up with each other.
No problems with albergues, except in embalse de Alcantara (there isn't one!). There are also some lovely 'casas rurales'.
It is a beautiful camino, lots to see, wonderful towns...
I am sorry to say that neither of us enjoyed it much though as walking in the heat was such a strain (for us!).
Using umbrellas as sun shade helped a lot. We also carried lots of water (min. 3 litres) but it does heat up quickly. There are a few long stretches without shops or cafes.
I am sure you'll love it, as long as you don't mind the heat! And it may be a bit cooler next June... :)
Thanks Domigee,l also walk with my wife but she is unavailable till 1st of July (wants shorter walks anyway) and will walk/join with me from North of Slamanca...first time walking solo and with little Spanish could struggle company wise ?

Thanks Domigee,l also walk with my wife but she is unavailable till 1st of July (wants shorter walks anyway) and will walk/join with me from North of Slamanca...first time walking solo and with little Spanish could struggle company wise ?
Slamanca....the umbrella sounds interesting...sounds like a real test ,ye are tough cookies..
Cheers Tony.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
...first time walking solo and with little Spanish could struggle company wise ?

Not really, there will be also other non-Spanish speaking pilgrims on the road, but take a translation app/small language guide with you! Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back