• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in June - Merida to Salamanca

Walden

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone, I'm going to start working my way through the forum discussions on this, but I thought I'd post for advice too.

I have walked the Frances, Portuguese, Del Norte, Primitivo and Francegina and Baztan, all in the summers (July /August).

This year, I have a window of 14 days walking in June. I am looking for advice please.

I am walking alone, I am in shape, plus 30 km daily isn't a huge issue, but I've no experience of central Spain. And my Spanish is still beginners.

Is it ok to walk from Merida to Salamanca in June, considering temperature? (I have walked in Italy etc in July at temps around thirties, so I'm familiar with this type temperature) Are there many facilities between stages, or is it very barren and all crossing plains from A to B?

Do you think there will be any other pilgrims in June on this route?

I'm wondering if the route has sufficient albergues? I remember several pinch points on the del Norte.

Alternatively, if anyone has done a camino that will allow for some social contact in June, that I haven't covered, please feel free to suggest. I am in my early stages of planning, but I will likely arrive in Madrid and depart from there 16 days later. I picked Merida and Salamanca as they seem to be close enough to get to from Madrid.

Thanks as always for your really useful help and advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is a sticky at the top which has a lot of the information you need, including the "pinch point" when crossing the Tagus at the Embalse. If you look for the posts by @happypenguin who completed that section earlier this year.

And temperatures/availability of water at that section can be a problem so best be prepared.

Thanks, that's a helpful start

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back