• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in March

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would plan for temperatures in the morning in the 40's (Fahrenheit) and 60's by the afternoon. That's the baseline. There will likely be several days with morning temperatures below freezing accompanied with strong winds and some days where you will need to strip down to your T-shirt by the afternoon. Plan for frequent rains.

It's all about layering. On very cold mornings I wear up to four or five layers. In particular, I bring a heavy weight technical shirt which often proves to be a life saver when it's below freezing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When does it rain? Whenever you don't want it to.

Spring is a rainy season on the VdlP and it can rain at any time. You can get several weeks of no rain and then a storm system settles in and you get torrential rains for several days. In the last few years Spain has experienced periods of excessive rains in the late winter and early spring. You have to be prepared for rain and mud and be flexible with your plans if the trails are washed out.

Also, here's an example of a heavy weight technical shirt - https://www.rei.com/product/114425/rei-screeline-he-half-zip-long-sleeve-t-shirt-mens. On really cold days I wear it under a medium weight fleece jacket.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok people (C. Clearly and Bradypus): not funny. :mad:

I want clear blue skies from Sevialla to Salamanca, and this look glorious now. Then AnnieSantiago comes along and types the word ... rain. Noooooo. I am a May 2013 veteran, with no interest what so ever of becoming a repeat offender. o_O

Pretty please. Rain? Really? Please say it ain't so. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the VdlP in the spring of 2013 and experienced a blizzard. I walked the VdlP again in 2016 and saw the Esla River at Benevente so swollen from flooding that it overflowed it's banks creating a river 2 kilometers wide.

It is so.

Ok people (C. Clearly and Bradypus): not funny. :mad:

I want clear blue skies from Sevialla to Salamanca, and this look glorious now. Then AnnieSantiago comes along and types the word ... rain. Noooooo. I am a May 2013 veteran, with no interest what so ever of becoming a repeat offender. o_O

Pretty please. Rain? Really? Please say it ain't so. :oops::oops::oops::oops:
Are your plans taking shape?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I crossed very wet paths with bsewall last spring. One of the nice benefits of a lot of rain is that you often have the sound of running water near you when you are walking.
But when I started from Seville at the end of March it was full on summer temperatures for the first few days. High 20s and too hot for me. Later we passed through the very beginning stages of spring.

It's hard for anything to take shape when in mud due to rain. :D
I hope you stay safe and dry. @andy.d and me once cut short a walk to Canterbury when days of rain turned the ground to mushroom soup and we could only manage about 1 mph:( We kept falling over in it too and we were wild-camping in very small tents so no showers. Not a pretty sight! I don't mind cold - you can always wrap up more and stay warm by walking more - but rain really spoils my day/week/month.

Pax et bonum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Via de la Plata in March 2017 from Sevilla to Salamanca. What weather conditions might I expect?
I'll be walking starting March 2 from Seville this year. Looking forward to rxperiencing all the eain, sun, wind, snow, cold, heat predictions.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back