• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in May-June questions

micbook

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing for my first Via de la Plata this spring after having walked the Frances last year. This forum is such a great source and mirror of the Camino spirit and its people and I would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions-- within and without the scope of my questions :)

1. I would like to walk from Seville to Santiago, and then possibly Finisterre. Given that I like warm weather and prefer more quiet/less crowded path, what is the best time to walk, in your experience? I am thinking about starting at the beginning of May, but I have flexibility with my starting and completion dates, as long as I'm done by mid August. For some reason, I remember reading something about a festival going on in Seville the first week of May? Any input about that and whether it's better to wait until the second week of May?

2. I am likely to fly into Madrid and then eventually make my way to Seville. There are a couple of cities in Southern Spain that I consider visiting, especially Cordova. Did anyone visit and is it worthwhile? Can anyone comment on transportation from Madrid—whether to Cordova and/or Seville? I read a thread here about a fast train from Barajas Airport, but I wasn’t sure if it’s to Seville or just to central Madrid? (where is Atocha station?)

3. I saw great reviews on Triana Albergue in Seville. Is it within walking distance to places in the city, and can one stay there for more than one night? I was thinking about spending a couple of days in Seville to explore and enjoy.

4. Any other towns that are worth staying multiple nights?

5. Is it in Zamora that one chooses whether to join the Frances in Astorga or continue through Ourense? I would like to walk the latter, so any tips are greatly appreciated.

6. A while back, I found a link to a cool Camino planner online that calculates distances based on where there’s accommodation, and now I can’t find it. Did anyone see this?

Many thanks in advance! :)
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Michal. I'll take a stab at some of your questions.
1. I think May is a perfect month for the Vdlp. The wildflowers are outrageous, Extremadura is green and filled with babbling brooks, it is just a beautiful time of year. I started on May 1 and never had a problem wtih crowds. I think you are referring to the Feria de Sevilla, which is 24-29 april this year.

2. I think both Cordoba and Granada are worth visiting. Cordoba has the mosque and Granada the Alhambra. (The Alcazar in Sevilla is pretty stunning too). Trains for the south leave from Atocha, which is in central Madrid, not too far from the Prado. You can get a train straight to Atocha from T4 at the airport. check the RENFE website, you'll see fast trains to both Cordoba and SEvilla.

5. The route splits in Granja de Moruela, two days out from Zamora. I went on the Sanabres through Ourense and highly recommend it. Zamora is definitely worth a visit as well, I really love that city. 23 romanesque churches!

6. The website is godesalco: http://www.godesalco.com/plan

Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Places to stay for a day: On my walk this spring (walking from Cadiz), I have planned to have resting days in Sevilla, Merida, Salamanca and Ourense. These are towns worth seeing. Other nice places are Zafra, Caceres, Zamora, Puebla de Sanabria.

The "cool Camino planner online" can be Godesalco.com. You use the Planificador.
Bjorg

Hi everyone, I´ll be starting my camino VdLP on the 15th of May this year and wonder if there is anyone who starts his or her camino at this time too?? :D :D

Hi Michal.

Comments on some of your questions:

3. While I didn't stay at Triana, it's near the river and within walking distance of the main part of the downtown (meaning the cathedral and Alcazar). Not sure if you can stay more than one night.

4. All of the major cities the others mentioned are worth spending an extra day in. My personal favorites: Salamanca, Zamora and Puebla de Sanabria. And don't miss taking the little train in downtown Ourense that goes on a circuit of the city's thermal springs. Some cost a few euros, but there are some free springs, too (the one at the end of the train route is free and nice). The train only costs about 1 euro. It's great for your body!

Was just looking at my wildflower photos from last spring on the VDLP -- as Laurie said, it's just beautiful. You'll have so much fun!

Melanie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for the helpful comments. Reading your responses got me even more excited about my upcoming Camino!

Laurie, yes! It is the Feria de Sevilla, so it sounds like I don't need to worry about that given that I'll be traveling at the beginning of May. It's very encouraging to hear you started on May 1 and still enjoyed spring and wildflowers. I'll look into the RENFE. It sounds like it should be fairly easy. I don't have a lot of Spanish to come along with me, but hopefully it'll be easy enough to navigate through the different towns before starting my Camino :) And, the website is indeed godesalco- thanks much!

Stephen, I think you might be far ahead of me (will start from Seville somewhere at the beginning of May), but who knows...I'll keep updating my blog along the way so if you see we happen to be in the same town at the same time, please let me know! BTW, I'm an amiga, not amigo... :)

Thanks, Bjorg! This is the planner I was looking for...

Sundra, I haven't finalized my dates, but will be starting somewhere at the beginning of May. I'll keep updating my blog (link below), so please feel free to say hello if we happen to be in the same town?

Melanie, thanks for the info and personal message (just wrote back). The thermal springs sound lovely- I'm definitely going to check it out!

So many of these towns look so magical that I have a feeling I'll spend time exploring most if not all of them :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Can't wait to experience and share as it all unfolds...

Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Hi Michal, I´m glad to read your news, too. By the way are you a German? Well, I live in Germany but of Malaysian origin!!Hope to meet you on way to Santiago -VdlP, soon :D :D :D

I saw great reviews on Triana Albergue in Seville. Is it within walking distance to places in the city, and can one stay there for more than one night?
Hi Michal
Triana Backpackers is a good hostel, open to anyone to stay as long as they like and easily accessible to elsewhere.
I reckon all your other questions were answered :)
Buen camino
Sue

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will start at May 8th, and your posts really increased my anticipation. I will stay 2 or 3 nights at Triana hostel and then I'll start to Santiago. I'll propably choose the way over Astorga since I really love this part of the Frances. Couldn't imagin a pilgrimage to Santiago without seeing O'Cebreiro, Villafranca and so on :) Ourense would be a new experience but I'll propably prefer the Frances and the crowds coming with it. It's my third Camino btw. Perhaps we'´ll see each other.
Have a nice day all of you,
Florian

Hola - well Michael's post has been of great assistance to me as I am doing virtually the same route at the same time. Although I plan to do Granada/Cordoba/Seville as a general tourist (but with a PP) and then start my walk from Merida around 17 May. That post about the wildflowers in spring was something I was hoping for. Buen Camino to all. :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really, really hope to be able to walk the part Sevilla - Salamanca in May this year! Still awaiting approval from my employer. Fingers crossed...

¡Hurra! My employer said yes! Via de la Plata in May it is! Will start the end of April in Sevilla and will walk until Salamanca! Me so happy!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back