• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in May

Sonnie

Time of past OR future Camino
My son and I will be walking the Via de la Plata from Ourense in May 2015. I have already found some very helpful links and information but would like to ask the following: What weather could we generally expect during that part of the year ? Should we prepare for really cold evenings and mornings ? We also want to extend our stay in Santiago for a day or what. Any suggestions on what to do and see ? We are thinking of going to Finisterre for a day. I believe there will be transport available to get there and is it worthwhile to do that ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The weather should be pleasant; not really cold. There is a lot to do in Santiago, so you might want to indicate what you like. You can take a bus to Fisterra and return the same day, or stay overnight. Yes, it is worthwhile to visit Fisterra.

Buen camino

In Spain, you should expect sunny warm weather in May. However, when I walked in May in 2012, it was raining for 20 days, I had 2 days of snow in mountain passes, and one day of sun before SdC... (Walking from Salamanca through Ourense).

But I suspect I was only unlucky: Normally you should have sunny and warm days.

Go to Finisterre. It is worth it. Take a bus: 3 hours from SdC. Runs every day, and returns every day.​

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville to Santiago via Astorga, not the Sanabree via Ourense in May to June 2011 in fearly good and warm weather except for a couple of days at the start with heavy rain and some rainy days later on. As Alex says, May 2012 was wet. In 2013 I walked on the Norte in May and used my Goretexjacket nearly every day, rain, wind, cold weather. You never know, I was surprised on my first camino by how cold it could be, coming from the north of Norway to the south, expecting summertime in May. In Galicia you must be prepared for rainy days and have some warm layers even in August I think.

Hola - whilst everyone tells you that Spain is sunny and warm to hot - that's not always the case. I tried to do the VdlP in May last year - it snowed in Madrid on 16th - coldest spring in 40 years and yes there was snow on the Frances Camino (on the high points west of Astorga). But apparently this past May was back to "normal". So bring good wet-weather gear, a fleece and a rain-cover for your backpacks. If you do not use the rain gear then you will have had good weather. Santiago is definitely not typical Spain - that NW Atlantic coast can have rain at any time of year. Two days in SDC should allow you the time you need to get a feel of the city. The day trip to Finisterre is a good recommendation. Buen Camino!

[QUOTE="Saint Mike II, post: 251144, member: 20994"So bring good wet-weather gear, a fleece and a rain-cover for your backpacks. If you do not use the rain gear then you will have had good weather. Santiago is definitely not typical Spain - that NW Atlantic coast can have rain at any time of year. Two days in SDC should allow you the time you need to get a feel of the city. The day trip to Finisterre is a good recommendation. Buen Camino![/QUOTE]
Rtf

I agree with this. I walked the vdlp, this past May, and there were a few very cold days. And it will most likely rain a few days. The weather was lovely for the most part, but on the bad weather days, I was very glad to have the gear.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back