• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via De La Plata In November

• Thread starter Former member 95219
  • Start date
F

Former member 95219

Hi all. Considering doing this from mid November. I know the current situ with regards to albergue opening but looks like it’s doable! Going to start planning but if anywhere has any ‘must know’ advice off top of head would be great to hear! I guess the weather is key too!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Chef66
We walked the VDLP in October/November last year.
While it will undoubtedly be cooler if you start walking in November, you’ll still have to manage the challenges of long distances between any food/water/shelter and linitedin many sections. In particular, watch out for the 28km section on the third day from Castillblanco del Arroy to Almaden De a Plata.
Also, make sure you are prepared for cold and wet weather. We walked with a Lithuanian man who’d started the previous November and had to abandon his Camino because he found himself having to swim across freezing waterways and was unable to get dry and warm. (The most generous way to describe the albergue heating we found in November would be “variable”.)
It’s a wonderful, uncrowded path with incredible historic towns such as Merida, Salamanca and Ourense, although it’s difficult to know how much would still be open due to COVID.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Hi Chef66
We walked the VDLP in October/November last year.
While it will undoubtedly be cooler if you start walking in November, you’ll still have to manage the challenges of long distances between any food/water/shelter and linitedin many sections. In particular, watch out for the 28km section on the third day from Castillblanco del Arroy to Almaden De a Plata.
Also, make sure you are prepared for cold and wet weather. We walked with a Lithuanian man who’d started the previous November and had to abandon his Camino because he found himself having to swim across freezing waterways and was unable to get dry and warm. (The most generous way to describe the albergue heating we found in November would be “variable”.)
It’s a wonderful, uncrowded path with incredible historic towns such as Merida, Salamanca and Ourense, although it’s difficult to know how much would still be open due to COVID.
Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

That’s great RNC. Exactly the type of thing that I was looking for. Very much appreciated! May be back in touch!! Thanks again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Starting from Seville in November it's likely to be cold and it will get colder and wetter as you go north. In Galicia in December, the big challenges will be the weather and short days, you'll have to cover a lot of kilometres during about 9 hours of daylight. It would be extremely tough at the best of times, with many accommodations options currently closed it will be as hard as any Camino can ever be. I personally wouldn't advise it.

Have you walked a Camino in winter?
Gerald

Starting from Seville in November it's likely to be cold and it will get colder and wetter as you go north. In Galicia in December, the big challenges will be the weather and short days, you'll have to cover a lot of kilometres during about 9 hours of daylight. It would be extremely tough at the best of times, with many accommodations options currently closed it will be as hard as any Camino can ever be. I personally wouldn't advise it.

Have you walked a Camino in winter?
Gerald

Thank you Gerald. Really appreciated!

No not done a camino in winter though have down Everest Base and Kilimanjaro in tough conditions!

i did the Frances amd Portuguesa (from Porto) this summer but they required no prep whatsoever and were very straight forward but I sense this is different so advice well received!

Thanks again!

The mud will make it very difficult. There is the sinking mud, and then the hard pack non-sinking but sucking slick mud which will easily cause a pulled hamstring. Then the trail often gets flooded to waist deep. It's not like Everest or Kilimanjaro. It presents a whole different set of challenges.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Chef66. We can't add anything about the Covid situation, but as regards the weather, our experience is that you will be fine. From late October to mid-January (2018/19) we walked the Sureste from Alicante to Benavente, then backtracked on the VDLP from Benavente to Zamora, then took the Portuguese variant of the VDLP to Braganca, and then the southern variant of the Sanabres from Verin to Ourense, and onto Santiago, (and then to A Coruna on the Ingles). Yes there were shorter daylight hours, some rain, water, mud, wind and cold, but nothing that was too challenging, difficult or dangerous. In fact, most days were delightful. We had good equipment and you will probably need to carry a bit more for the winter conditions. Otherwise, we would recommend walking in winter. We have also walked the VDLP from Seville to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia in October/November and it too was not a problem as regards the weather.

Ah thank you Rireana. Very useful. Plenty of think about. Thanks again!

Feel free to message us if you want any more detailed information.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You may, in addition to the rain, run into snow and sleet on the higher hills. Can you start around the last 10 days for October?? Cheers

It would be pretty grim particularly as you head further north. That said, you won't have a problem of extreme heat!

Hi Chef66. We can't add anything about the Covid situation, but as regards the weather, our experience is that you will be fine. From late October to mid-January (2018/19) we walked the Sureste from Alicante to Benavente, then backtracked on the VDLP from Benavente to Zamora, then took the Portuguese variant of the VDLP to Braganca, and then the southern variant of the Sanabres from Verin to Ourense, and onto Santiago, (and then to A Coruna on the Ingles). Yes there were shorter daylight hours, some rain, water, mud, wind and cold, but nothing that was too challenging, difficult or dangerous. In fact, most days were delightful. We had good equipment and you will probably need to carry a bit more for the winter conditions. Otherwise, we would recommend walking in winter. We have also walked the VDLP from Seville to Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia in October/November and it too was not a problem as regards the weather.
Now that is a Camino Mixto route I would like to try. Have done the Levante, VDLP (including a detour to Verin) and Invierno so there are a few spots in common.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back