• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in reverse (Gijón to Cádiz)

JP0819

Time of past OR future Camino
2020 - Atlantic Coast to Med Coast
Hi all,

Please excuse any conventions that I may have missed - it's my first time posting on here. I am planning to set off in October (after a month spent in Asturias) from Gijón - Cádiz; tying together a few Camino routes in reverse but primarily the Via de la Plata to Seville before taking the Via Augusta to Cádiz.

I have several questions:
a) Has anyone tried a similar route?
b) Are there any particular challenges with attempting a Camino in reverse?
c) What is the 'best' means of navigation?

I am mindful of the ongoing COVID situation and will continue to monitor the local situation, so while this may not end up being feasible this year I would deeply appreciate any advice or pointers this wonderful community may have.

Abrazos,

Jake

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's not uncommon to meet people following the VDLP in reverse. When I was heading north in October/ November 2017, I remember meeting
- A Dutch mother and daughter
- A German walker
- A German cyclist (solo)
- A Dutch husband and wife
- A French family (mom, dad, two kids) on recumbent bicycles and trailers
- A German man with his dog in a trailer
There are probably others that I've forgotten. The advantages of walking in that direction in October are that you're heading toward a warmer climate (although it will still be cold on the way), and you will meet people who are moving in the opposite direction (albeit only fleetingly).
The main challenge, I guess is that some arrows may not be visible when walking in reverse and any guide that you read will describe stages in the opposite direction - but I'm sure that's easy to get used to.
Navigation should be greatly simplified if you have a mobile phone with tracks downloaded from Wikiloc or another reliable source. There are also apps and guides that you can download to your device too - like this one by Gerard Kelly:
Gerard is maintaining a list of lodgings that are operating, which you should keep an eye on:

I cannot offer any great advice per se, other than to say that this seems like a very cool plan and I hope it works out for you - be sure to post your progress as when you undertake this journey. BC.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you both for your advice and thoughts. Wikiloc is a useful resource and I appreciate the links to Gerard's work!

I've spent time fleshing out the route in more detail as follows:

Ribadesella - Villaviciosa (Camino del Norte)
Villaviciosa - Oviedo (Camino Primitivo)
Oviedo - León (Camino San Salvador [in reverse])
León - Astorga (Camino Francés)
Astorga - Sevilla (Vía de la Plata [in reverse])
Sevilla - Cádiz (Vía Augusta [in reverse])

All going well, I'll aim to hit Cádiz in the middle of November!

León - Astorga (Camino Francés)
Doing this takes you around two sides of a triangle (Leon-Astorga-Granja rather than Leon-Granja). I guess it will require you to spend two days on the CF and then four days on a very untravelled section of the VDLP (the section that lies to the north of Granja de la Moreruela).

In terms of lodgings, I don't know what facilities will be available on the very untravelled section of the VDLP. As far as I know, the route goes through some very quiet towns / villages where the only lodgings may be an unmanned municipal albergue. This kind of facility will probably be closed because it can't easily comply with hygiene rules. You'd be well advised to check what will be operating and you might find that you simply have to devise your own path to bridge the gap between León and Granja.

My suggestion would be to follow the Rio Bernesga from Leon (and then the Rio Esla) to reach Granja in three or four stages. Depending on your daily walking distance you might need two or three days to cover the 70km or so to Benavente, followed by one official VDLP stage to Granja.

I guess it depends what appeals to you out of:
- Spending a couple of days on the CF vs. Avoiding the most popular routes
- Having official Camino routes to follow vs. Devising your own path
- "Doing" the entire VDLP from start to finish vs. Taking the most direct route

Keep an eye also on the website of the albergue Torre de Sabre. The owner, Filiberto, is regularly posting a list of lodgings and statuses for private lodgings on the VDLP. Look for posts titled: "LISTADO ALOJAMIENTOS PRIVADOS ASOCIACIÓN CAMINOS VÍA DE LA PLATA"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never walked in reverse either. Just to add what Raggy said you could also download the Wisely (Wise Pilgrim) app for the VDLP. I believe it is free. It has a GPS in the app which will help I am sure.

Thank you all for your help! All of the resources you're positing seem extremely helpful and are quelling any small doubts about striking out solo.

@Raggy, that's a really good point. Having done a bit of research on Wikiloc I feel a bit more confident about piecing together the route between León and Benavente! I don't need to go on the Camino Francés for the sake of it. Thank you very much.

I am actually planning to this trip but from Cadiz to Gijon. I will do this when the world is actually covid safe so unfortunately it be will awhile.

I am intrigued to walk the entire length of Spain. After Gijon I would take the North route towards Muxia via SdC.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Crosscheck Rider it's a fair point! I'm in two minds about it but luckily have a month in Asturias first to assess the situation. Can't say I'd be too fussed about being locked down in Spain if it came to that, though...

@Crosscheck Rider it's a fair point! I'm in two minds about it but luckily have a month in Asturias first to assess the situation. Can't say I'd be too fussed about being locked down in Spain if it came to that, though...
I spent a few days in Astorias last spring. It is a wonderful place with a rich history and culture. I am envious you get to stay there for a month.

We followed Caminos 'backwards' from Santiago - Norte, Voie litoral, and several up thru France to get back to the UK. We were on bikes - it was strange meeting people only once - even as cyclists we seemed to travel 'with' walkers on the route there - but returning was a little strange to begin with. Signage was the worst bit - you are always turning around to scan.... But if you get a good guide ( the cycle guide we used for the Via de Plata was set out as easily readable maps - it was Spanish so we could not read the words anyhow!) it should be much simpler. Also some mapping sites - ViaMichelin for instance - show all the Camino routes on their 'simple outdoor' map page. It is easy to zoom in for detail. Also you can screenshot the pages when you have wifi - so you have the info on the walk....!
Have a great Camino - whatever happens you can console yourself with the excellent seafood in Cadiz!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the Camino Portuguese in November 2013 and it was a disaster. Wouldn't do it again. I got lost a million of times and in November I hardly met other pilgrims to ask for the way. And the people in the villages had no idea I'm talking about when I asked them.
But I wasn't prepared, had no maps at all, as I thought I would see the arrows, but many time they were so hidden, that I didn't see them. I guess, if you prepare yoursef better, it would work out well.

I'd say use a GPS / map /hiker trail app called Mapy.cz -- there are website and Windows desktop / laptop /tablet & Android & iPhone etc versions of it, and if you take the precaution of downloading the offline maps it's, well, not flawless (some hiker trails are inevitably missing) but it is very good, especially for such major routes as the Via de la Plata.

And if the official route might seem dodgy in some places, it often shows alternate dirt or tarmac trails as the case may be.

FWIW I'm going to walk a good stretch of the Via de la Plata in "reverse" myself next year, after reaching Astorga ; down to at least Cáceres, but maybe Mérida. Either way from there towards Fátima -- though it'll be a fake "reverse" as I'll be walking to Compostela that way regardless. :cool:

I'd say use a GPS / map /hiker trail app called Mapy.cz -- there are website and Windows desktop / laptop /tablet & Android & iPhone etc versions of it, and if you take the precaution of downloading the offline maps it's, well, not flawless (some hiker trails are inevitably missing) but it is very good, especially for such major routes as the Via de la Plata.

And if the official route might seem dodgy in some places, it often shows alternate dirt or tarmac trails as the case may be.

FWIW I'm going to walk a good stretch of the Via de la Plata in "reverse" myself next year, after reaching Astorga ; down to at least Cáceres, but maybe Mérida. Either way from there towards Fátima -- though it'll be a fake "reverse" as I'll be walking to Compostela that way regardless. :cool:

Thanks so much for the advice! I’ve unfortunately had to call off the Via de la Plata part of the journey as I’ve been told only 20% of albergues are open.

currently in León, having started my Camino on the Norte near Llanes and followed the San Salvador in reverse from Oviedo. I used Wise Pilgrim for the latter with my phone GPS and navigation was totally fine. Given the issues with accommodation on the VdlP I’m going to follow the Frances through to Santiago- not bad for a backup plan and very grateful to be here in the current circumstances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone! A friend wants to walk from Leon down to Zamora direct without going via Astorga. Does anyone know if there is a good walking route for this? It would be to save time instead of going via Astorga which will add a few extra days on his trip. Thanks!

Thanks Raggy!

So from that link and info it suggests that the only option is to walk from Leon to Astorga and then down to Zamora. And that there is no direct walking route or path down the Rio Esla?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Raggy!

So from that link and info it suggests that the only option is to walk from Leon to Astorga and then down to Zamora. And that there is no direct walking route or path down the Rio Esla?
Really?
If you're willing to strike out on your own, you could ...
... follow the Rio Bernesga from Leon (and then the Rio Esla) to reach Granja in three or four stages. Depending on your daily walking distance you might need two or three days to cover the 70km or so to Benavente, followed by one official VDLP stage to Granja.
If you can handle long-ish days, your destination for the first day would be the Hospedería Virgen del Castillo, in Valencia de Don Juan:

From there you have another long-ish day to the Albergue Municipal de Peregrinos de Benavente:

And then you're on the VDLP with 24km to Granja de la Moreruela, where you will meet pilgrims on their way to Ourense and Santiago on the Camino Sanabres.

The route won't be waymarked, but following a river isn't difficult. If you need shorter days, you can get an idea of hotels near the route from Google maps. It remains to be seen which places reopen and when.

Do you mind if I ask a moderator to merge the threads?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back