• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in reverse

Alana

Time of past OR future Camino
"VDLP march 2020"
Hello!

I would like to walk the VDLP from March onwards but preferably want to begin in Santiago de Compostela and end in Sevilla. Has anyone here done this ? How hard did they find it ? Can you share some experiences ? And roughly how long did it take you ?

thanks Alana

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You’re looking at 1000km whichever direction you go, which may typically take from 30 to 50 days depending on your pace.
I haven’t walked it in reverse but I’ve met folks who have. You’ll encounter more problems with way marking than conventional pilgrims because some arrows will be harder to spot. if you have a device with tracks downloaded, you can rely on that to get you through when the arrows let you down.
Albergues should be open - especially in the latter part of your walk which will coincide with peak traffic on this route. Unfortunatel, since youre going against the flow, you may have little warning of any “bubble“ of pilgrims that you might encounter. if you’re unlucky you might arrive somewhere to find the albergue full.
Youll start in a colder climate and head toward a warmer one at the same time that winter turns into spring. So you’ll need less insulation as you progress. Layers is the key.

Why reverse?

I would walk S>N. Not reverse.

By the time you end up in Seville it will be very hot. Very hot.

read all the comments re this Via.

there is a separate room for this Via.

there is a old highway that runs Seville to Gijon.
That is the entire length of Spain.

Very little traffic on it. If any.

It runs parallel to the Via Plata.
You can use the A’burgs

It is one of the best bike routes in Spain. If not all of Europe.

I will look up the route number. But can easilybe found on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
N630 is the road and I can attest to its sheer delight on a bike! We rode from Salamanca south in October and had a fabulous time though going north to south did not contribute to it feeling like a camino but more like an adventure. We did meet peregrinos along the way and had no trouble finding places to stay though we prefer small inns with private rooms to albuergues at this time.

N630 is the road and I can attest to its sheer delight on a bike! We rode from Salamanca south in October and had a fabulous time though going north to south did not contribute to it feeling like a camino but more like an adventure. We did meet peregrinos along the way and had no trouble finding places to stay though we prefer small inns with private rooms to albuergues at this time.

yep, the N630 route.
Was just getting ready to post that.

there is a blog on line by a guy and his wife who rode it. Great pics and info on his blog.

The highway is hardly ever used by cars/trucks.
Some farm equip on it.
Take a look at it on line. Not too many steep grades to climb/descend.

most riders use the alburgues along the VDLP.
I hope to ride it starting in May.
Seville to Gijon.

I would like to walk the VDLP from March onwards but preferably want to begin in Santiago de Compostela and end in Sevilla. Has anyone here done this ? How hard did they find it ?

I walked parallel with a social worker and her rehabilitating young charge on the Norte. When we reached Santiago the two French women continued south on the Via de la Plata. I’ve often wondered how they coped, as they were both very special people.

So, yes, people do walk in that direction.

Let us know how it goes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By the time you end up in Seville it will be very hot. Very hot.
If the OP leaves Santiago in early March and reaches Seville in late April or early May, I think they will miss the hottest season. OP will be covering much of the route at one of the popular times of year.

there is a separate room for this Via.
The OP posted this question in the dedicated forum for the Via de la Plata.

yep, the N630 route.
Was just getting ready to post that.

there is a blog on line by a guy and his wife who rode it. Great pics and info on his blog.

The highway is hardly ever used by cars/trucks.
Some farm equip on it.
Take a look at it on line. Not too many steep grades to climb/descend.

most riders use the alburgues along the VDLP.
I hope to ride it starting in May.
Seville to Gijon.

Is this the blog you refer to? http://www.johnhayeswalks.com/2017/06/ruta-via-de-la-plata_20.html

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I finish a stretch of the Frances in Santiago on March 24th and plan to set off the next day on the VdlP - first time ever "in reverse" (except on occasions when I've got lost 😥 )....will be different, I guess. I walked the VdlP in 2016 and loved the route.

I finish a stretch of the Frances in Santiago on March 24th and plan to set off the next day on the VdlP - first time ever "in reverse" (except on occasions when I've got lost 😥 )....will be different, I guess. I walked the VdlP in 2016 and loved the route.
Well @Chris Day if you’re walking Sanabrés I may bump into you (literally if you’re walking backwards 😂).. I (hope) to be pushing off again from Tábara on March 20 - taking it easy so may see you nearish Ourense.
Do you have maps me on your phone ? Great help to help to find your way back to track with gps.
Buen camino
Annie

Well @Chris Day if you’re walking Sanabrés I may bump into you (literally if you’re walking backwards 😂).. I (hope) to be pushing off again from Tábara on March 20 - taking it easy so may see you nearish Ourense.
Do you have maps me on your phone ? Great help to help to find your way back to track with gps.
Buen camino
Annie
Annie - a good "guestimate", Ourense. Thanks, yes, I have the route on maps.me, which is very useful. Red backpack and of course walking against the flow....that'll be me! Buen Camino to you too.
Chris

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello!

I would like to walk the VDLP from March onwards but preferably want to begin in Santiago de Compostela and end in Sevilla. Has anyone here done this ? How hard did they find it ? Can you share some experiences ? And roughly how long did it take you ?

thanks Alana

Hello @Alana
I have followed the VdLP in reverse from Santiago d C to Ourense (Oct, 2011) and from Astorga to Fuenterroble de Salvatierra (March, 2010) plus many other trails which have been signed in the opposite direction . As I do not walk with a gps or phone, trail finding and tracking the imprint of feet is a fun challenge. A camino sign may have two or three paths leading to it, all well worn. It is not always obvious where to go. When in doubt, if after trying a path for 5 - 10 minutes and there are no new signs, I return to where I last saw a sign then try again.

Difficulties:
*Day one, leaving Santiago was a little confusing.
*Don't assume that you will be able to sleep in every albergue along the way, even with a credential. An hospitalero may ask for an explanantion as to why you are walking in the opposite direction. You may find yourself looking for a bed elsewhere
* March/April weather: Cold nights, frosts, icy mornings, perhaps a little heat in the afternoon sun. It is colder in the region of Zamora than in Galicia. In wintertime there is more snow after the Padornello tunnel, from Mombuey onwards (direction Zamora), than from before it...

Have fun!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back