• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata in Reverse

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, how easy is it to walk the via de la Plata “backwards”? Anyone here done that?

I’ve walked the CF in reverse, and it was easy enough, as I’d walked it the “proper” way several times, so I had a good idea which way to go at every junction I came to.

One year I walked parallel with a social worker and her young charge on the Norte, and after celebrations in Santiago, and the rest of us went home, the two of them continued south on the Via de la Plata as the youngster’s sentence wasn’t over yet, and I know that they had no cell phones on them.

I don’t want to have my face in my phone all the time, trying to find the way, so all that GPS tech stuff is not an option. Any thoughts?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am unsure: I have walked from Sevilla and all the way up. There are some long stretches where you can't go wrong, but there are also tricky areas. I think you will need some GPS (not continuously, but as for planning your next day) support to do it.

When walking in the opposite direction, I think you may/should start early autumn, due to hotter climate as you are walking southbound.

But your idea is interesting!

Last edited:
I don’t want to have my face in my phone all the time, trying to find the way, so all that GPS tech stuff is not an option. Any thoughts?
If you use the Wikiloc app you can just walk along a track and go the way you think the camino goes. If it notices that you have walked off the track it will give you an audio warning and then you can backtrack to the junction, look at its map and choose the correct path. Also, if you have supplied it with a south to north track you can walk it in reverse. The app says that you are going the wrong way but you can indicate that is the way you want to go and it will correct itself. I'll supply more information if you want.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking the Via backwards would be extremely difficult. Depending on the time of year there might be very few people walking in to other direction to help orient yourself or to ask advice. I've walked it 3+ times in the other direction and even I wouldn't feel confident of being able to do it backwards (the Frances would be a lot easier because of the abundant signage and other pilgrims). If I was you I'd use some kind of GPS app.

With a little care it should be easy.
My hand held gps has reverse track on it and the speed you are traveling at you would not go far wrong before you realised it.
Without a gps looking back at junctions should give you a clue as to where the arrows are readable from.

With a little help from a GPS app here and there, it will be easy. Not the only one that has come out with the idea. I have met more than one person walking 'backwards'. For sure, centuries ago people would not use a train or an aircraft to travel back home. But today, what is the point? You'll be missing and important part of the joy of the Camino, coming across other pilgrims having (or not) some form of interaction with them. In any case, depending on the month you choose to walk, you won't find many people on the VdLP

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Baztan backwards a couple of years ago and spent quite a bit of time retracing my steps.
It was fun.
It’s been along time since I walked the VDLP but given the weather distances and the sparse population I would not attempt to walk it backwards without a good map and compass or electronic navigation.
Maybe you could keep your phone in the bottom of your pack. If you had the route loaded there and knew how to use it it could very possibly come in handy.
There are areas on this route where it would be dangerous do not know where you are or which way to go.
You could be confused for a couple of days.

Thank you all for your replies and thoughts. I will be sensible and walk it in the proper direction.

But where to start from? Is it possible to start in Gibraltar? Please point me to the right thread, if there is one.

Thanks again! Jill

I will be sensible and walk it in the proper direction.
It's not foolish to walk in reverse - especially in the autumn as the weather gets colder. I met plenty of people doing that. But I think, as other people have said, that you would need to overcome your technophobia because a good app or navigation device is the best way to avoid going off the right path.

But where to start from? Is it possible to start in Gibraltar?
If you're a "completist," Seville is the official start of the VDLP. Anything more is just showing off and won't earn you any extra brownie points in Santiago, but that's fine.

If you feel like starting from Gibraltar, you can follow the Vía Serrana from Gibraltar to Seville. It's also possible to start from Cadiz - taking the Via Augusta to Seville. Or you can start in south-eastern Spain (Malaga, Almeria, Jaen, or Granada) and follow the Camino Mozarabe route that joins up with the VDLP in Merida. (But in that case, you don't get to start in Seville ... )

Best thing to do is use the forum search function with the bolded keywords above - and that should take you down a rabbit hole full of ideas for future caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back