• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata March 2022

Tom Conklin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016)
Porto (Fall 2017)
Via (2022)
I am thinking of doing the VdlP starting in late February/early March 2022 (finishing before Easter - April 17). I can handle the weather but I am concerned about the availability of accommodations etc. at that time of year. Any insights, suggestions or cautions would be much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tom

We haven't walked the VdelP - we are planning to begin from Seville on 1 April. You may find this virtual planning thread useful - it has a lot of detail on Via de la Plata / Sanabres including options for stages and accommodation, with lots of input from those who have walked this path.

Also, there is Gerald Kelly's guidebook - which can be downloaded here.

Guide to Via de la Plata

Best wishes
Jenny

Hi Tom

We haven't walked the VdelP - we are planning to begin from Seville on 1 April. You may find this virtual planning thread useful - it has a lot of detail on Via de la Plata / Sanabres including options for stages and accommodation, with lots of input from those who have walked this path.

Guide to Via de la Plata

Best wishes
Jenny
Thanks Jenny. Thanks for the resources but the problem is that most of them address starts around when you are leaving. I would think that starting in Seville in late February is a very different story especially in terms of accommodations and food etc. Is that not your impression? There is very little on the forum about starting this early.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, that’s likely true. But with information on accommodations mentioned in the thread or the guidebook or on the Gronze website (which has good info too) you may be able to make enquires / do some research about whether they will be open at the time you want to walk. All the best.

Perhaps someone on the forum who started the VdelP in late Feb this year will chime in. I’d imagine there will be more availability in Feb / March 2022 than there was in 2021 given improvement in the Covid situation. But that’s just a guess.

There is very little on the forum about starting this early.
You can find information about walking in February. The problem is that there is not a lot of information about starting in February after a 2-year pandemic has wreaked havoc with the travel and hospitality industry. So, it is not a matter of just gathering information! The operators of the albergues may not know yet what they will be doing.

If you are a confident traveler, willing and able to cope with the unexpected, I expect you will do fine! However, if you want assurance of convenient accommodation, I don't think anyone can provide that.

Yes, that’s likely true. But with information on accommodations mentioned in the thread or the guidebook or on the Gronze website (which has good info too) you may be able to make enquires / do some research about whether they will be open at the time you want to walk. All the best.

Perhaps someone on the forum who started the VdelP in late Feb this year will chime in. I’d imagine there will be more availability in Feb / March 2022 than there was in 2021 given improvement in the Covid situation. But that’s just a guess.
Great points, thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There's enough accommodation available to be able to walk to Via, many people have been walking in the last few months. Albergues and guest houses generally don't close down in the winter, except over Christmas. I've walked in February several times and it was always fine. There's no reason why next year should be any different.

Gerald

I am thinking of doing the VdlP starting in late February/early March 2022 (finishing before Easter - April 17). I can handle the weather but I am concerned about the availability of accommodations etc. at that time of year. Any insights, suggestions or cautions would be much appreciated.
I would like to redo it since I stopped in Guernica and opted to go on Frances. The best to you for 2022.

There's enough accommodation available to be able to walk to Via, many people have been walking in the last few months. Albergues and guest houses generally don't close down in the winter, except over Christmas. I've walked in February several times and it was always fine. There's no reason why next year should be any different.

Gerald
Thanks very much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tom

Guide to Via de la Plata

Best wishes
Jenny
Hi Anacaram,
We may met somewhere on the path, i'll start from Sevilla on the 27 or 28 of march :)

Hi @Peter74 - How exciting for you to be walking the VdelP - not long now. That's in our more distant future now. For various reasons - one being time constraints - we will be walking the Chemin du Piemont in France in April. We have just a little over 3 weeks at our disposal for a continuous walk this Spring - and the idea of part of the VdelP wasn't sitting right with us. We decided to defer the VdelP until we have 6-7 weeks to walk Seville to SdeC.

Hope you have a wonderful time. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back