Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Via de la Plata Oct 2022

jsalt

Jill
Year of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, I’m thinking of starting the Via de la Plata early October next year. Is this a good or bad time of the year to start? Please point me to any relevant threads. Many thanks! Jill

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
That is when I walked it, leaving Seville on Oct. 3, 2017. Temperatures were in the mid 30's until Salamanca (500 k, the first half of the walk). I had to be careful about hydration, as the route was very dry. But if you like dry heat and are able to carry lots of water, it is fine. By the time I was nearing Santiago it was late season and pilgrim accommodation was closing for the year. I expect I'll be on the VdlP/Sanabres a little earlier this year, walking the Levante from Valencia to Zamora, starting in mid September, then on to Santiago on the VdlP/Sanabres.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Hi, I’m thinking of starting the Via de la Plata early October next year. Is this a good or bad time of the year to start? Please point me to any relevant threads. Many thanks! Jill
Hi Jill
There are stacks of threads. This one was started by @AJGuillaume and has contributions from so many forum members.

When I first viewed your question, I thought : How come you are now free to leave your country …until I read that you are planning for 2022 Autumn.

October can be still very hot (season temps/weather isn’t the same every year as you know )…. You will be walking north though and it will get cooler as you arrive in the northerly regions.

Is there any chance Sth Africa will allow you to get out in spring? Flowers and countryside are both a joy to behold at that time of year.

You know we (here in Oz) aren’t free to leave either … but keep hoping that the population will realise they need to line up for vaccination if we ever want to travel. So envious watching the rest of the world on the move.

Good luck with planning. Fantastic route - I know you’ll love it. I still want to complete the section on Sanabres from Tábara to Santiago.

still dreaming .. maybe we will swing it at the same time.

buen camino
Annie

Starseeker54

That is when I walked it, leaving Seville on Oct. 3, 2017. Temperatures were in the mid 30's until Salamanca (500 k, the first half of the walk). I had to be careful about hydration, as the route was very dry. But if you like dry heat and are able to carry lots of water, it is fine. By the time I was nearing Santiago it was late season and pilgrim accommodation was closing for the year. I expect I'll be on the VdlP/Sanabres a little earlier this year, walking the Levante from Valencia to Zamora, starting in mid September, then on to Santiago on the VdlP/Sanabres.
i am planning the same route for his year but leaving around the 18th or there abouts.

Frances (2016), Norte (2017), Portuges (2018), Mozarabe (2019), Primitivo (2019), Via de La Plata (2
Hi there. We live about 40 km west of the VDP and I have to say that the peregrino's experience of 30 plus degrees in the first week of October is very rare. It's normally 25-ish generally with a bit of rain. This means that it is usually a perfect time of year to do this Camino. In this part of the world the word is that the albergues on the VDP have suffered badly during the pandemic so nailing down your accommodation is extremely important. Buen camino.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Frances Sept - Oct 2014, Camino Portugues Sept - Oct 2017
I would say not optimum. Early spring is still cooler down south, the days get longer which means you don't have to start and end in the dark which happens in the fall. Going north you'll catch nicer weather as you get closer to Santiago. I too am looking at the beginning of March. Check google for weather information.

selebi51

Hi there. We live about 40 km west of the VDP and I have to say that the peregrino's experience of 30 plus degrees in the first week of October is very rare. It's normally 25-ish generally with a bit of rain. This means that it is usually a perfect time of year to do this Camino. In this part of the world the word is that the albergues on the VDP have suffered badly during the pandemic so nailing down your accommodation is extremely important. Buen camino.
Hi in 2014 Oct was +30C for first 10 days. Water was an issue on 2 days. Beautiful none the less. Went via Astorga and snow at o Cebrio.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
i am planning the same route for his year but leaving around the 18th or there abouts.
I will be heading out of Sevilla on October 14 or 15 this year (probably 14). I would much rather walk in -3 Celsius than +30C.
I would have started even later but after December 10 the flights home got alt more expensive.
Also as the world is heating dramatically and summers and hot weather most everywhere are lasting longer and getting dryer i don’t know how much longer forecasts from the past are accurate predictors for the future. From now on my camino season will be late October to early April. I would rather have rain, wind and snow over pounding and relentless heat.

Last edited:

jsalt

Jill
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Is there any chance Sth Africa will allow you to get out in spring? Flowers and countryside are both a joy to behold at that time of year.
I too am looking at the beginning of March.

I'm thinking that Spring might well be a best time of year, but also the most popular . . . ??

Therefore March, April will be busy . . . ??

I like "quiet" caminos, so October might be less busy, with just a few peregrinos, but not TOO many . . . ?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Maybe visiting this place?

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
I'm thinking that Spring might well be a best time of year, but also the most popular . . . ??

I like "quiet" caminos, so October might be less busy, with just a few peregrinos, but not TOO many . . . ?
Jill
We are talking about Vdlp. It is a quiet camino.
I can’t talk about the (last 100 ish) from Ourense but I spent quite a lot of alone time in spring 2019. Having walked with you on the Madrid .. I can tell you it’s not a CF in any way when you say busy. . Tho ….many people like to enjoy the Easter period / (semana Santa) at or near cities and villages .. but you can arrange your dates to miss this if you choose. Covid restrictions will more than likely have some say in that matter too?

I guess it will come back to when it’s possible for you …. I think you might make a jump start 😂😂 early if they open the gates sooner.
Good luck - keep us posted.
Buen camino
Annie.

Darleen Taylor

We are planning Via Augusta and Vdlp for late August this year. Planning to hook up with the Francés in Astorga. Very used to 30+ degree weather. Am hoping we will be able to find accommodation without too much trouble.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

We are talking about Vdlp. It is a quiet camino.
I haven't done the VdlP yet, but that's my impression - that "crowding" isn't a problem on this route.

CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
@Albertagirl have you purchased a ticket already? I’m landing on flying late November, then spending 5 months walking first the Portuguese then some combination of the VDLP taking it slow to enjoy the sights, sounds and people.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
@Albertagirl have you purchased a ticket already? I’m landing on flying late November, then spending 5 months walking first the Portuguese then some combination of the VDLP taking it slow to enjoy the sights, sounds and people.
@Colette Z
I am going in early September, returning in November. I purchased my tickets from Air Canada some weeks ago, lured in by the low price and by the fact that the flights to and from Spain were direct from, and to, Canada, so I only had Canadian and Spanish Covid restrictions to comply with. Air Canada promptly deposited my cheque, then cancelled both flights, repacing them with very bad alternate flights. I have got those bookings replaced with flights which would be more convenient than the original ones, if it were not for the uncertainty of further Covid restrictions in two additional countries, where I must change planes. I am not personally attracted to walking in Spain in the winter. As I have no special status, my maximum time in Spain is 90 days. My return flights are 80 days apart, returning the end of November. I hope that both of us will enjoy our time in Spain, after a couple of years when we could not go. Do you have family there, or somewhere in the Schengen zone?

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

lt56ny

Veteran Member
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
We are planning Via Augusta and Vdlp for late August this year. Planning to hook up with the Francés in Astorga. Very used to 30+ degree weather. Am hoping we will be able to find accommodation without too much trouble.
I have a few friends that walked starting in Mid September. They have all told me that it is hotter than the 30+ that is reported in the weather reports. One of my friends is from Australia where as you know the temperature can be extreme. He said being outside for so many hours day after day can be absolutely brutal. They all said they would never walk the VDLP at that time of year again. They all had those reflective umbrellas and left very early in the morning. Before 5AM. They all said that it was absolutely imperative to be off the camino as early as possible. I believe they said 1PM was the latest. There was a death a few days ahead of one of my friends. A pilgrim who died of heat stroke. I believe that they felt that 3 liters of water was the minimum to take. Planning is very necessary at that time of year.
I am starting from Sevilla on October 14. I still worry it is too early and will be very hot.
Be safe and my advice is why risk it? If you can't walk another time why don't you consider the Norte or even though it can be really hot Le Puy if solitude is what you seek.
Just my 2 cents and Buen Camino and again be safe.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
I would say not optimum. Early spring is still cooler down south, the days get longer which means you don't have to start and end in the dark which happens in the fall. Going north you'll catch nicer weather as you get closer to Santiago. I too am looking at the beginning of March. Check google for weather information.
Just wanted to remark on the unique, almost astonishing, experience we distance walkers have; traveling through different climate zones (not to mention cultural, architectural, and language dialect changes) On Foot!

Starseeker54

whilst respecting others opinion, it is worth remembering that we are all different as to how we cope with any extremes of weather.
sensible precautions,i e,drink by sipping ofter,use the shade and rest when required.i walked this route 3yrs ago aged 66 years young and never encountered any heat problems,and this was mid summer.listen to what your instincts tell you.
be safe,be happy.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
whilst respecting others opinion, it is worth remembering that we are all different as to how we cope with any extremes of weather.
sensible precautions,i e,drink by sipping ofter,use the shade and rest when required.i walked this route 3yrs ago aged 66 years young and never encountered any heat problems,and this was mid summer.listen to what your instincts tell you.
be safe,be happy.
What time of year did you walk?

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

jsalt

Jill
October 2022 is still working out as the best option for me. I would like to download some printable maps, as I like to write notes on hard copies that I can carry with me. Are there any out there? I can’t do the face in my phone thing while walking, so apps are not an option, and besides, I like to spend the evening, with a glass of vino tinto at hand, writing up my day’s journal on the back of my hard copy map.

Help!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings