• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata Oct 2022

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, I’m thinking of starting the Via de la Plata early October next year. Is this a good or bad time of the year to start? Please point me to any relevant threads. Many thanks! Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is when I walked it, leaving Seville on Oct. 3, 2017. Temperatures were in the mid 30's until Salamanca (500 k, the first half of the walk). I had to be careful about hydration, as the route was very dry. But if you like dry heat and are able to carry lots of water, it is fine. By the time I was nearing Santiago it was late season and pilgrim accommodation was closing for the year. I expect I'll be on the VdlP/Sanabres a little earlier this year, walking the Levante from Valencia to Zamora, starting in mid September, then on to Santiago on the VdlP/Sanabres.

Hi, I’m thinking of starting the Via de la Plata early October next year. Is this a good or bad time of the year to start? Please point me to any relevant threads. Many thanks! Jill
Hi Jill
There are stacks of threads. This one was started by @AJGuillaume and has contributions from so many forum members.

When I first viewed your question, I thought : How come you are now free to leave your country …until I read that you are planning for 2022 Autumn.

October can be still very hot (season temps/weather isn’t the same every year as you know )…. You will be walking north though and it will get cooler as you arrive in the northerly regions.

Is there any chance Sth Africa will allow you to get out in spring? Flowers and countryside are both a joy to behold at that time of year.

You know we (here in Oz) aren’t free to leave either … but keep hoping that the population will realise they need to line up for vaccination if we ever want to travel. So envious watching the rest of the world on the move.

Good luck with planning. Fantastic route - I know you’ll love it. I still want to complete the section on Sanabres from Tábara to Santiago.

still dreaming .. maybe we will swing it at the same time.

buen camino
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is when I walked it, leaving Seville on Oct. 3, 2017. Temperatures were in the mid 30's until Salamanca (500 k, the first half of the walk). I had to be careful about hydration, as the route was very dry. But if you like dry heat and are able to carry lots of water, it is fine. By the time I was nearing Santiago it was late season and pilgrim accommodation was closing for the year. I expect I'll be on the VdlP/Sanabres a little earlier this year, walking the Levante from Valencia to Zamora, starting in mid September, then on to Santiago on the VdlP/Sanabres.
i am planning the same route for his year but leaving around the 18th or there abouts.

Hi there. We live about 40 km west of the VDP and I have to say that the peregrino's experience of 30 plus degrees in the first week of October is very rare. It's normally 25-ish generally with a bit of rain. This means that it is usually a perfect time of year to do this Camino. In this part of the world the word is that the albergues on the VDP have suffered badly during the pandemic so nailing down your accommodation is extremely important. Buen camino.

I would say not optimum. Early spring is still cooler down south, the days get longer which means you don't have to start and end in the dark which happens in the fall. Going north you'll catch nicer weather as you get closer to Santiago. I too am looking at the beginning of March. Check google for weather information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there. We live about 40 km west of the VDP and I have to say that the peregrino's experience of 30 plus degrees in the first week of October is very rare. It's normally 25-ish generally with a bit of rain. This means that it is usually a perfect time of year to do this Camino. In this part of the world the word is that the albergues on the VDP have suffered badly during the pandemic so nailing down your accommodation is extremely important. Buen camino.
Hi in 2014 Oct was +30C for first 10 days. Water was an issue on 2 days. Beautiful none the less. Went via Astorga and snow at o Cebrio.

i am planning the same route for his year but leaving around the 18th or there abouts.
I will be heading out of Sevilla on October 14 or 15 this year (probably 14). I would much rather walk in -3 Celsius than +30C.
I would have started even later but after December 10 the flights home got alt more expensive.
Also as the world is heating dramatically and summers and hot weather most everywhere are lasting longer and getting dryer i don’t know how much longer forecasts from the past are accurate predictors for the future. From now on my camino season will be late October to early April. I would rather have rain, wind and snow over pounding and relentless heat.

Last edited:
Is there any chance Sth Africa will allow you to get out in spring? Flowers and countryside are both a joy to behold at that time of year.
I too am looking at the beginning of March.

I'm thinking that Spring might well be a best time of year, but also the most popular . . . ??

Therefore March, April will be busy . . . ??

I like "quiet" caminos, so October might be less busy, with just a few peregrinos, but not TOO many . . . ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm thinking that Spring might well be a best time of year, but also the most popular . . . ??

I like "quiet" caminos, so October might be less busy, with just a few peregrinos, but not TOO many . . . ?
Jill
We are talking about Vdlp. It is a quiet camino.
I can’t talk about the (last 100 ish) from Ourense but I spent quite a lot of alone time in spring 2019. Having walked with you on the Madrid .. I can tell you it’s not a CF in any way when you say busy. . Tho ….many people like to enjoy the Easter period / (semana Santa) at or near cities and villages .. but you can arrange your dates to miss this if you choose. Covid restrictions will more than likely have some say in that matter too?

I guess it will come back to when it’s possible for you …. I think you might make a jump start 😂😂 early if they open the gates sooner.
Good luck - keep us posted.
Buen camino
Annie.

We are planning Via Augusta and Vdlp for late August this year. Planning to hook up with the Francés in Astorga. Very used to 30+ degree weather. Am hoping we will be able to find accommodation without too much trouble.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

We are talking about Vdlp. It is a quiet camino.
I haven't done the VdlP yet, but that's my impression - that "crowding" isn't a problem on this route.

@Albertagirl have you purchased a ticket already? I’m landing on flying late November, then spending 5 months walking first the Portuguese then some combination of the VDLP taking it slow to enjoy the sights, sounds and people.

@Albertagirl have you purchased a ticket already? I’m landing on flying late November, then spending 5 months walking first the Portuguese then some combination of the VDLP taking it slow to enjoy the sights, sounds and people.
@Colette Z
I am going in early September, returning in November. I purchased my tickets from Air Canada some weeks ago, lured in by the low price and by the fact that the flights to and from Spain were direct from, and to, Canada, so I only had Canadian and Spanish Covid restrictions to comply with. Air Canada promptly deposited my cheque, then cancelled both flights, repacing them with very bad alternate flights. I have got those bookings replaced with flights which would be more convenient than the original ones, if it were not for the uncertainty of further Covid restrictions in two additional countries, where I must change planes. I am not personally attracted to walking in Spain in the winter. As I have no special status, my maximum time in Spain is 90 days. My return flights are 80 days apart, returning the end of November. I hope that both of us will enjoy our time in Spain, after a couple of years when we could not go. Do you have family there, or somewhere in the Schengen zone?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are planning Via Augusta and Vdlp for late August this year. Planning to hook up with the Francés in Astorga. Very used to 30+ degree weather. Am hoping we will be able to find accommodation without too much trouble.
I have a few friends that walked starting in Mid September. They have all told me that it is hotter than the 30+ that is reported in the weather reports. One of my friends is from Australia where as you know the temperature can be extreme. He said being outside for so many hours day after day can be absolutely brutal. They all said they would never walk the VDLP at that time of year again. They all had those reflective umbrellas and left very early in the morning. Before 5AM. They all said that it was absolutely imperative to be off the camino as early as possible. I believe they said 1PM was the latest. There was a death a few days ahead of one of my friends. A pilgrim who died of heat stroke. I believe that they felt that 3 liters of water was the minimum to take. Planning is very necessary at that time of year.
I am starting from Sevilla on October 14. I still worry it is too early and will be very hot.
Be safe and my advice is why risk it? If you can't walk another time why don't you consider the Norte or even though it can be really hot Le Puy if solitude is what you seek.
Just my 2 cents and Buen Camino and again be safe.

I would say not optimum. Early spring is still cooler down south, the days get longer which means you don't have to start and end in the dark which happens in the fall. Going north you'll catch nicer weather as you get closer to Santiago. I too am looking at the beginning of March. Check google for weather information.
Just wanted to remark on the unique, almost astonishing, experience we distance walkers have; traveling through different climate zones (not to mention cultural, architectural, and language dialect changes) On Foot!

whilst respecting others opinion, it is worth remembering that we are all different as to how we cope with any extremes of weather.
sensible precautions,i e,drink by sipping ofter,use the shade and rest when required.i walked this route 3yrs ago aged 66 years young and never encountered any heat problems,and this was mid summer.listen to what your instincts tell you.
be safe,be happy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
whilst respecting others opinion, it is worth remembering that we are all different as to how we cope with any extremes of weather.
sensible precautions,i e,drink by sipping ofter,use the shade and rest when required.i walked this route 3yrs ago aged 66 years young and never encountered any heat problems,and this was mid summer.listen to what your instincts tell you.
be safe,be happy.
What time of year did you walk?

October 2022 is still working out as the best option for me. I would like to download some printable maps, as I like to write notes on hard copies that I can carry with me. Are there any out there? I can’t do the face in my phone thing while walking, so apps are not an option, and besides, I like to spend the evening, with a glass of vino tinto at hand, writing up my day’s journal on the back of my hard copy map.

Help!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Robi, thanks for your response. I'm planning to walk from Seville to Salamanca starting sept 21 or so. I would like to start a week later but I don't know whether it fits with other obligations. I gues I will start walking rather early in the day which is fine with me. This will be my 3rd Camino.

Question: do you think it is wise to make reservations for the first couple of days ahead or will it be ok finding a sleeping spot during that period of time? Is it wise to take a ultra light sleeping mattress with me, just in case?

thnx!

Question: do you think it is wise to make reservations for the first couple of days ahead or will it be ok finding a sleeping spot during that period of time? Is it wise to take a ultra light sleeping mattress with me, just in case?
I haven't walked this route yet, but I have been researching it a bit. Looking at Gronze, it appears that there are a number of albergues that aren't open this year. I think that you will need to do some planning so that you know what your options are for a plan B or C.

Looking at Gronze, it appears that there are a number of albergues that aren't open this year.
@trecile
I am just finishing my planning for the northern part of the VdlP, from Zamora to Santiago. I am mostly using gronze for this section. More albergues than I expected are currently open. I have stayed in some of them when I walked the VdlP and found them comfortable and well-designed. I do not intend to stay in albergues this year, except when there is nothing else available in a location, but a majority seem to be open, and I think all the Xunta albergues are in Galicia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Robi, thanks for your response. I'm planning to walk from Seville to Salamanca starting sept 21 or so. I would like to start a week later but I don't know whether it fits with other obligations. I gues I will start walking rather early in the day which is fine with me. This will be my 3rd Camino.

thnx!
Great to hear from you. I would DEFINITELY make reservations. My understanding is that there are virtually no albergues open south of Merida. The VDLP winds through some pretty sparsely populated zones so just happening upon somewhere to stay cannot be relied upon. I seem to remember about 3 weeks ago on this forum someone took it upon themselves to contact all of the listed albergues on the VDLP and he published the responses here. I would use the search facility on this site to see if you can track this post down. It would be invaluable for you. If you cannot find it, check with Ivar, I am sure that he will have noted it. I always take a sleeping bag with me and I have never been disappointed that I have. Buen Camino and if I can help at all with anything just drop me a line.

I have a few friends that walked starting in Mid September. They have all told me that it is hotter than the 30+ that is reported in the weather reports. One of my friends is from Australia where as you know the temperature can be extreme. He said being outside for so many hours day after day can be absolutely brutal. They all said they would never walk the VDLP at that time of year again
Which year were they walking? Was it infamous 2016 with this unusual heat wave when a pilgrim died before Almaden?

At a normal year walking the southernmost part of VdlP in mid September should be similar to walking the meseta part of the Camino Frances in the summer (which I did this July)

Normally in the second part of September the max temperature in Andalusia part (first stages from Seville) shouldn't be more than 32C/90F and since you go north with every stage the temperature goes down. If you are lucky at the end of September crossing the pass of Bejar (low mountains) before Salamanca you can get some quickly melting snow at night.

I didn't walk this part in September yet but I soon will (God and covid permitting). I walked in October once and it was warm and super comfortable. The days in October are short a bit, it can be dark almost until 8:30 am which for me was weird. Advice for those walking in October: do not pick the grapes thinking you are alone. The vineyard owners hire security guys driving around. They have binoculars and they are not very nice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Which year were they walking? Was it infamous 2016 with this unusual heat wave when a pilgrim died before Almaden?

At a normal year walking the southernmost part of VdlP in mid September should be similar to walking the meseta part of the Camino Frances in the summer (which I did this July)

Normally in the second part of September the max temperature in Andalusia part (first stages from Seville) shouldn't be more than 32C/90F and since you go north with every stage the temperature goes down. If you are lucky at the end of September crossing the pass of Bejar (low mountains) before Salamanca you can get some quickly melting snow at night.

I didn't walk this part in September yet but I soon will (God and covid permitting). I walked in October once and it was warm and super comfortable. The days in October are short a bit, it can be dark almost until 8:30 am which for me was weird. Advice for those walking in October: do not pick the grapes thinking you are alone. The vineyard owners hire security guys driving around. They have binoculars and they are not very nice :)
It was 2018. They told me that someone did pass away that year as well. I am sure that you are correct about historical temperature ranges. As I previously stated (I think it was in this thread but maybe not) I would much rather walk in cool or even cold weather than hot weather, 28 - 30+.This is why I am starting on October 14th. I just feel a whole lot better in colder temps.. I know sunrise gets later and later in October and I like walking in the dark. Especially on a path like the Via de La Plata that is normally so quiet and without many pilgrims or people in general. I find it so peaceful and to see the sunrise slowly and hear the sound of gravel under my feet is so soothing and starts my day perfectly. Thanks for the warning about the grapes. There have been times I have had one ot two of those red grapes. They are packed with sugar and sure have given me a shot of energy.
Buen Camino

It was 2018. They told me that someone did pass away that year as well

The death of a pilgrim on the Via de la Plata (3rd August 2018)

Oh I remember this death very well. It was a German pilgrim Josef Scheffler, he was only 40 years old. But he walked in the middle of the summer and he was walking 40 km stages in 40+ degrees Celsius weather. He did walk from Merida to Caceres during his first 2 days (thats nearly 80 km) sleeping half way in Alcuescar albergue, and on the third day he walked from Caceres to that albergue near the Alcantara lake (which had always been unreliable, you could never know if on a given day it would be open or closed), he found it closed, and attempted to reach Cañaveral which would make a total of 45 km for him. He didn't make it. Died 2 km before Cañaveral. When he knew he was dying, he called his wife in Germany, she called the police in Spain, she also called the owner of the Cañaveral albergue, they were driving jeeps around looking for Josef, but didn't find him. Next day they found his body a few hundred meters off the Camino, because he apparently went off track (or looked for a shortcut) when he was on the verge of dying from heat exhaustion.

It's a very sad story. But also a great lesson to be learned from his experience. That's why I could go to Seville even tomorrow, but I am sitting here at home and waiting patiently till the maximum daily temperatures in the south of Spain go down. If they are not higher than 32C/90F I'll be fine. And I know it is not the Camino Frances and I do carry enough water.

Those who are tempted to walk VdlP in the summer, should probably read Josef's twitter log of his short Camino as a warning - it is still online, with the pictures he took on the way. On twitter, unlike on this forum, you follow the posts from the bottom of the page up, so the picture on the top is the last picture he took, at the front of a closed Alcantara albergue.

https://twitter.com/josefscheffler (in German)

A short video about it in a local TV in Extremadura HERE (in Spanish)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back