• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata Oct/Nov ?

SushiNinja

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Hi all,
I'm considering going for the via de la plata, starting from Seville in late October and walking for about 2 weeks.
I'm wondering.... Is the weather likely to be good enough? Will there be enough hostels etc. still open? (or do most close for the winter?)
Many thanks all !
Cole

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from Seville in November in 2015 - it was perfect walking weather for an Englishman - not too hot but with a fair bit of sunshine. It was also completely dry which was exceptionally lucky. The advice I would give is to plan your accommodation ahead if possible and not leave it to chance - I spent a hour outside one hostel waiting for it to open because I was the only guest and it needed a fair number of phone calls to find someone with a key! I doubt that they would have opened if I had turned up without a reservation.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was planning to start the VDLP last week but, due to health issues I have to postpone. Options for me right now are Camino Madrid in November [joining up with the CDF into Santiago] or to go ahead with the VDLP as previously planned. The clock is against me though; I need to be back in London for the 9th December at the latest. So [at last] my questions are:- is the Silver Way 'do-able' in 6 weeks? And if so - will the weather be a challenge? Or should I stick with the Camino Madrid/CDF option?

I was planning to start the VDLP last week but, due to health issues I have to postpone. Options for me right now are Camino Madrid in November [joining up with the CDF into Santiago] or to go ahead with the VDLP as previously planned. The clock is against me though; I need to be back in London for the 9th December at the latest. So [at last] my questions are:- is the Silver Way 'do-able' in 6 weeks? And if so - will the weather be a challenge? Or should I stick with the Camino Madrid/CDF option?
I haven't done the VdlP yet, but if you follow the Gronze stages it looks like it can be done in 36 days. https://www.gronze.com/via-plata

I walked from Seville to Astorga, but am planning do the Sanabres part soon. As someone who prefers to keep my stages under 30 km/day, I would expect to walk 25 days to Zamora and then 19 days to Santiago - at least 44 days in total. That doesn't include any rest days. So, yes it can be done in 6 weeks, but I would personally plan for 7 weeks. It depends on how strong a walker you are and whether you are willing to use transport occasionally. Alternatively you could start in Merida, which would save about 10 days at my pace.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Vince, VDLP is doable in that time. I started on August 29th and finished in Finisterre yesterday, September 5th. I was out of action for 2 days also with a tummy bug. Be prepared for a good few 30/40k days. It was a great experience and well worth the effort, go for it !
John

Hi Vince, YES 6 weeks is doable. We are in Albeguria -140km to SdC on VdLP. Take a look at Youren2010 and Perigrina2000 - they did nice work in detailing their journey/stages. Also you may want to download Wise Pilgrim apps. It gives summary of whether a town/village / hamlet has accommodation, bar etc so you can decide how far you want to walk for the day. Do note that there are stretches with NO services - bring lunch, water etc. Ultreria

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back