• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata or Camino Mozarabe?

micbook

Hi everyone!

I walked the Camino Frances in June-July 2011 and am looking at walking a different route this spring 2012. I wanted to walk the Via de la Plata and now considering the Camino Mozarabe as well. I can start in Cadiz and walk north or start in Malaga (or Granada??) and walk until I merge with the VDLP. Anyone walked both or has insights/suggestions in terms of the differences? I'm flexible with my time and plan to take up to 3 months and possibly walk to Finisterre as well. I also like warm weather so high temperatures are of no concern ;)

Many thanks!
Michal

http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/category/camino-de-santiago/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
micbook said:
Hi everyone!

I walked the Camino Frances in June-July 2011 and am looking at walking a different route this spring 2012. I wanted to walk the Via de la Plata and now considering the Camino Mozarabe as well. I can start in Cadiz and walk north or start in Malaga (or Granada??) and walk until I merge with the VDLP. Anyone walked both or has insights/suggestions in terms of the differences? I'm flexible with my time and plan to take up to 3 months and possibly walk to Finisterre as well. I also like warm weather so high temperatures are of no concern ;)

Many thanks!
Michal

Hello Michael,
Well, I walked Seville-Salamanca-Santiago in 2008 and Granada-Cordoba-Merida in 2010.

Seville-Salamanca-Santiago had slightly more folk, the stages were long, but the vast majority of the villages had some facilities. I enjoyed this and made some wonderful friends.
Granada-Cordoba-Merida was much quieter, the first week is a pull through the hills of Northern Andalucia, with long daily stages and a pretty unrelenting landscape. Cordoba is, however, a truly amazing city.

Personally, I would recommend the route from Seville. It is more demanding than the Camino Frances (though I walked that in 1998) but not so much as to demand too much of any pilgrim,
Buen Camino
Gyro

Hi Gyro!

Thanks for your reply! Is it because of the demanding path during the first week from Granada that you recommend the route from Seville? How are the waymarks in each route? Would you consider one safer than the other for a woman walking by herself? And, any guidebook you'd recommend (English)? I'd imagine it'll be two different guidebooks for the two routes. Walking the Camino Frances, I loved John Brierley's book, and was disappointed to find out he had no books on the VDLP. BTW, do you think getting along on the VDLP without fluent Spanish is going to be a problem?

Many thanks!
Michal (there's no 'e') :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Michal,
I haven't walked from Granada to Merida, but it's high on my list. I would love any excuse to return to the Vdlp because it is so beautiful. I did walk the Vdlp from Sevilla as a 59 year old woman alone, and I never had any problem.

Knowing Spanish helps a lot, because in many of the small towns, no one speaks much of anything other than Spanish. But depending on the time of year, you will find more English than Spanish spoken among the pilgrims -- most of the pilgrims on the Vdlp tend to be northern Europeans, and English becomes the common language. I remember meeting some Spanish pilgrims in an albergue in Oliva de Plasencia, along the Vdlp, and they told me they felt like they had left Spain, since meal times at the albergues never included a word of Spanish!

I'm assuming you have seen the recent reports on the Camino Mozarabe by bjorts and Wombat -- if not, you can find them all in this section of the forum: camino-mozarabe/

Tough decision, I think. Buen camino, Laurie

As Laurie says, you can find my report elsewhere. Just one thing here: If the cost of walking is importent, it will cost you less walking VdlP, because there are albegues. There are almost none on the Mozarabe. Bjorg

micbook said:
Hi Gyro!

Thanks for your reply! Is it because of the demanding path during the first week from Granada that you recommend the route from Seville? How are the waymarks in each route? Would you consider one safer than the other for a woman walking by herself? And, any guidebook you'd recommend (English)? I'd imagine it'll be two different guidebooks for the two routes. Walking the Camino Frances, I loved John Brierley's book, and was disappointed to find out he had no books on the VDLP. BTW, do you think getting along on the VDLP without fluent Spanish is going to be a problem?

Many thanks!
Michal (there's no 'e') :)

Dear Michal,

Yes, the walk from Granada to Cordoba is -in my opinion - harder than the first week's walk from Seville. This is one of the reasons I recommend that you try this next.

Waymarking on Granada-Cordoba is a little patchy (compared with every other camino I have walked). The CSJ guide by Alison Raju, plus the Michelin map, were sufficient to get back on track, but I did loose a hour or so some days as I got turned about. The worst day was the third (After Moclin)

Safety: I won't regard either walk as dangerous. There are likely to be more pilgrims (and hopefully more folk looking out for you) on the Seville-Salamanca stretch.

Guidebooks: The CSJ guide (by Alison Raju) as I have mentioned before was pretty good. I did find some Spanish guides online, but didn't print these out.

Spanish: my Spanish is pretty bad, but I could function, more or less, over both of the caminos. There was not many folk who spoke English.....

Happy to discuss this further by PM if you wish
Gyro

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back