• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata or Norte?

llonya

Laszlo
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre - 2014
Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

I would like to return to Spain for my second Camino next year or the year after. Years ago I did CF and this time I would like to do something new, probably either Via de la Plata + Sanabres + Finisterre or Norte + Finisterre. At this stage, it seems that I'll be able to start in the second half of May. Given this relatively late start, which Camino do you recommend? I know that VdlP is hot in summer, but how bad is it in late May? If it is too bad, I might need to think about an earlier start, late February instead, but in either case, I have to be in Australia in early May.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Laszlo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Or you could do all of them.

Start on the Norte as far a Gijon. Walk south on the VDLP to Bonavente. Start on the Sanabres to Santiago and then finish off to Finisterre and Muxia.

You'll avoid the hottest parts of the VDLP in May but you can always come back.

I did the southern part of the VDLP this year in Jan/Feb and it was pleasantly warm. Did the Norte a couple of months ago and again pleasantly warm. Preferred the Norte as I like the hills and coast rather than the flat plains of the VDLP. But it will be your preference as both are popular caminos.

Last edited:
I've done both and my tuppence worth is that the timing is better for the Norte. Too late a start for the Via if you can't start until late May. For the Norte it is a bit ahead of the tourist season, a good thing, but not so early that you are likely to get buckets of rain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

I would like to return to Spain for my second Camino next year or the year after. Years ago I did CF and this time I would like to do something new, probably either Via de la Plata + Sanabres + Finisterre or Norte + Finisterre. At this stage, it seems that I'll be able to start in the second half of May. Given this relatively late start, which Camino do you recommend? I know that VdlP is hot in summer, but how bad is it in late May? If it is too bad, I might need to think about an earlier start, late February instead, but in either case, I have to be in Australia in early May.

Laszlo
I started the VdlP end of march 2015, it was allready 32 degrees (Celsius). Farther north the the temperatures dropped. The Norte I walked in April/May and the weather was ideal for walking ( more rain though) Landscapewise there is a big difference.Mountain and seaviews on the Norte (more asphalt though unless you walk the many alternative routes) On the VdlP more flat, long straight roads sometimes. On both routes nice cities. Personally I like the cities on the VdlP more (Sevilla, Merida, Salamanca, Zamora, Caceres...)

I found start of VDLP at the end of March already hot! Also hot at the end of the Sanabres around May 10th. Middle was glorious. For a May start I’d go for the Norte. But I am a heat wuss!

mla 1, my wife and I are planning to walk the Mozarabe, Almeria to Cordoba next February. Any advice you have would be appreciated. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
mla 1, my wife and I are planning to walk the Mozarabe, Almeria to Cordoba next February. Any advice you have would be appreciated. Buen Camino
Hi Jerry,
I only walked as far as Granada because I got ill and had to return home. :( So, I'm afraid it wasn't my favourite camino! We left in mid-April - and it was just starting to get hot (in my view).
I would think in February it might be a bit chilly (which I would love) and a bit greener.
The main thing about that route is the amazing Amigos group that offers a LOT of help.

I liked the landscape of the VDLP better. :) Especially in the spring - the flowers were fantastic.

But the Mozarabe has a lot of fans!

cheers,
ml

Gracias for your information, mla 1. For the first time in 40+ years my wife said she wanted to be somewhere warmer than Alaska in February. I walked the Meseta early last April and it was a little chilly some mornings and evenings. If it is too cold when we reach Granada we can always turn around and walk back to Almeria.

I saw somewhere, probably the Correros website, that the Amigos of the Mazarebe meet in Granada. Do you know their address or website? Buen Camino

Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

Laszlo
Do the Norte. It is the best, most beautiful and toughest Camino. The via de la plata has a lot of Meseta. Enjoy anyway

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the Norte to Primitivo, starting in Hendaye at the end of May and ended in Santiago in late June. Most days were cool/comfortable. I wore shorts/dresses to hike in. Started the days in my down puffy and needed it again when I stopped to rest and/or in the evening - but almost always walked without it. Got some cool rain days. Only had 3-4 "hot" days at the beginning of the Primitivo. The Norte and Primitivo are both challenging with lots of climbs and descents... but manageable for someone in relatively good (but average) shape.

Haven't done the other route.

I saw somewhere, probably the Correros website, that the Amigos of the Mazarebe meet in Granada. Do you know their address or website? Buen Camino
Hi Jerry
I am on the Camino Mozarabe right now.
It is dry and warm. There is so much info available here on the forum. Go back to the main menu. You’ll see all variety of sub forums. Look in the . ‘Routes in Spain’ then Choose the Camino Mozárabe.

All the contact info and details are in the sub forum ‘Camino Mozarabe ‘ There are three starting points. (Almería/ I started there ., Malaga and Jaén ).
There are links in many of the threads for the amigos association for the section Almeria to Granada.

Question of Norte vs Vdlp - at that time of year … although I’ve walked both., it would be a close race. Maybe the Del Norte.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I found start of VDLP at the end of March already hot! Also hot at the end of the Sanabres around May 10th. Middle was glorious. For a May start I’d go for the Norte. But I am a heat wuss!
Thank you very much for all your responses. You all confirmed that the second half of May might be too late for VdlP, so I should either take the Norte or start VldP in February.
The truth is that time permitting I would like to do both in the coming years. I love the mountains but at the same time, I did not mind the Meseta either. For me, both have their own magic.

Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

Laszlo
Hi returned from the Via de la Plata in October it is a greatly different walk and experience, first of all its very Spanish locals do not understand other languages, all meal, bar and shop times are for locals. You will be able to get a coffee and toast usually early around 6.30 or 7 as the local men go to work and but the bars are usually closed most of the day until around 9pm at night when you may get some food. The same for shops when you arrive in your town 3 or 4 it won't open until late. Local fiestas can play havoc with finding a bed and eating as well the day after Fiestas bars and cafes can be closed due to the late night celebrations. Distances can be great especially if the town your heading to has no beds due to Fiesta or Albergue closure. My first week I would have to walk 40k days to get to a place to stay. Plan for nothing in between towns. You will need 3L of water as there is huge distances to cross with nothing, my friend had to flag a car down to ask for water, the driver did return with some water for him. We bought food to make up sandwiches but I would suggest that if you can carry a ration pack as in the army it would be good alternative and more interesting than ham and cheese sandwiches. The landscape is more underlating than described too.
Allow yourself time and plan for food and water in the day and prepare for little help. Enjoy.

Hi returned from the Via de la Plata in October it is a greatly different walk and experience, first of all its very Spanish locals do not understand other languages, all meal, bar and shop times are for locals. You will be able to get a coffee and toast usually early around 6.30 or 7 as the local men go to work and but the bars are usually closed most of the day until around 9pm at night when you may get some food. The same for shops when you arrive in your town 3 or 4 it won't open until late. Local fiestas can play havoc with finding a bed and eating as well the day after Fiestas bars and cafes can be closed due to the late night celebrations. Distances can be great especially if the town your heading to has no beds due to Fiesta or Albergue closure. My first week I would have to walk 40k days to get to a place to stay. Plan for nothing in between towns. You will need 3L of water as there is huge distances to cross with nothing, my friend had to flag a car down to ask for water, the driver did return with some water for him. We bought food to make up sandwiches but I would suggest that if you can carry a ration pack as in the army it would be good alternative and more interesting than ham and cheese sandwiches. The landscape is more underlating than described too.
Allow yourself time and plan for food and water in the day and prepare for little help. Enjoy.
Thank you for the information, it is very useful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked both:

Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres/Fisterra in 2008, starting early April;
Norte in 2009 starting late August.

I thoroughly enjoyed both, my fave probably being Mozarabe etc. This was probably hardest because of the distance between accommodation. 36 km days were not too unusual. Now this may be different, I don't know what the situation is like with accommodation nowadays. In 2008 there was only one pilgrim albergue on the Mozarabe, though there may have been other accommodation available that I didn't know about at the time and which I could have found through the local police or bomberos.

Both routes are worthwhile. Beware of the heat on the VdlP.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back