• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata Portugues, Zamora – Verin

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
We walked this camino in April. Here comes some information (at last). We came from Levante and continued on this camino, 9 days from Zamora to Verin, from April 14th to 23rd.

We found this a very nice but strenuous camino. One of the best when it comes to the road itself; gravel roads, dirt roads, trails, almost no asphalt at all. Excellent! Very changing landscape. A lot of up and down, especially in the Portuguese section. Remote. We saw no other walkers.

Since we liked this camino, we found it sad that it had a disadvantage: The marking is not good enough. Some parts good. Some parts not adequate / proper, because the marks are in between the places where you have to choose this or that direction. Some parts have no marking at all.

The guide (Alison Raju 2005) from The Confraternity of Saint James is a good help, but not sufficient. The route has changed several places. For example, the guide describes much more walking on asphalt than the marked route has now. For the first time in my camino career I could not relay on guide and marking.

Fortunately, I had found the GPS tracks to “Bruno” (very precise, to trust). I had marked them on maps on my mobile-phone. With map, my position and the tracks of Bruno, we never had problems finding our way. Without this, we would have been in trouble several times.

The address to his blog: http://blogdibruno.blogspot.com/ . Scroll down to CAMINO PORTUGUES DE LA VIA DE LA PLATA, Zamora-Bragança-Verin, 05/06-2015. There you will find his GPS-tracks.

We stayed in some albergues and some Hostales. Two "challenges":

1: In Edral you stay in a day center for older people. You have the room on your own during the night. No beds, but sofas where you can manage. We found it admirable that they offer pilgrims this possibility year after year, and we were grateful. But the camino needs a different solution to the need for accommodation on this stage. “Walking into the lives of people” like this, was a bit invading.

2: Edral – Verin: We did some research to find a way to divide this stage. We found that Meson Muxia in Vilardevos had (good) rooms. When we were there, we were told that Vilardevos had an albergue (!). We had not found any information of this albergue.

Conclusion: I recommend this camino, but you need GPS-tracks. We had a great week! With better marking and a better solution for sleeping in the area near Edral, the number of walkers will increase.

When autumn comes, I will make a photo-video for YouTube.

I can give you more detailed information if somebody is interested.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi bjorgts, thanks for the info. I hope to walk this way next Spring

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back