• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata starting late March 2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2011, 2012
Thinking of starting in late March from Seville. Wondering what the weather will be like and the availability of accommodation ie alberges. Where is a good place to stay in Seville for a few days before I start. Will there be many other pilgrims on the trail and if I get to Santiago is the available accommodation booked up at that time. I'm British but speak a little Spanish enough to find my way. I hope.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's the perfect time to start - I did it last year. During Semana Santa, you'll need to keep an eye out for possible accommodation problems on the key days, especially in the main tourist cities. Other than that, I would not expect any problems, and you will encounter other pilgrims.

Accommodation in Seville could be very tight (and more expensive), especially on a weekend so you might want to time your start accordingly. Definitely make a reservation for Seville, and even Merida if you plan to be there during Semana Santa. (Of course, Cacares, Salamanca , Zamora, too, but you wouldn't be there yet if you start in Seville in late March.)

A few days before you get to Santiago, book a bed there. My favourite is Hospederia San Martin Pinario - you can get a "pilgrim room" at a much reduced rate if you clearly request it in an email or phone call (not using a booking service).

That's the perfect time to start - I did it last year. During Semana Santa, you'll need to keep an eye out for possible accommodation problems on the key days, especially in the main tourist cities. Other than that, I would not expect any problems, and you will encounter other pilgrims.

Accommodation in Seville could be very tight (and more expensive), especially on a weekend so you might want to time your start accordingly. Definitely make a reservation for Seville, and even Merida if you plan to be there during Semana Santa. (Of course, Cacares, Salamanca , Zamora, too, but you wouldn't be there yet if you start in Seville in late March.)

A few days before you get to Santiago, book a bed there. My favourite is Hospederia San Martin Pinario - you can get a "pilgrim room" at a much reduced rate if you clearly request it in an email or phone call (not using a booking service).

It seems that Semana Santa will be the main problem so I will look into departing Seville before it begins and will see what other main centres there
are after that.
Thanks for giving me the benefit of your experience on the camino and all the way from Canada.
We've had 5cm of snow today and the nation is in chaos. I would think that you might have a little more snow in BC.

Arnold

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would think that you might have a little more snow in BC
As it happens, it IS snowing. However, the Vancouver area normally has a very mild climate - quite like the UK. Outside of the Vancouver-Victoria areas, the situation is definitely different.

I don't see Semana Santa as a problem! Rather it is a situation to be managed and enjoyed. You can follow my 2017 journey on my blog at tritetales.com . My first post from Seville is here.

I walked the VdlP in 2017 from Sevilla to Santiago via Sanabres. In Sevilla I stayed at Triana Backpackers Hostel (http://www.trianahostel.com/en/contact-hostel-triana-seville) Very friendly and comfortable and very close to the Camino.

I started in late April to avoid Semana Santa. I watched the blogs of those who started earlier and saw that many of the tracks were very muddy and some of the pilgrims quite discouraged by the conditions. It was not bad for me a month later; there were only a few difficult muddy crossings and no extended stretches of mud. I had no problems finding albergues but always targeted towns with known albergues. Unlike the Frances some albergues are simply open with the hospitalero coming by in the late afternoon / evening to collect the fee and give the cello.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I watched the blogs of those who started earlier and saw that many of the tracks were very muddy and some of the pilgrims quite discouraged by the conditions
It is interesting how variable reactions are. I never got my feet wet (except one day in serious rain) and never had to take my boots off for a stream crossing. Those streams seem to react very quickly and subside again quickly after the rain is over. Typically, I would personally know of 8-15 people on the road on any day (undoubtedly there were more), and I had pilgrim company every evening until I took the lonelier route from Granja de Moreruela to Astorga.

Thinking of starting in late March from Seville. Wondering what the weather will be like and the availability of accommodation ie alberges. Where is a good place to stay in Seville for a few days before I start. Will there be many other pilgrims on the trail and if I get to Santiago is the available accommodation booked up at that time. I'm British but speak a little Spanish enough to find my way. I hope.

How exciting for you. We walked from Seville to Salamanca, starting late last September. We stayed in guest houses/small hotels/casa rural about two thirds of the time and in albergues for the remainder. In Seville we spent three nights in an Airbnb which had a washing machine so we started with clean clothes! On the trail, where possible we phoned ahead in the afternoon to book the next night's accommodation - not all albergues take reservations. The only problem we had was in Casar de Caceres which we hit on a Spanish Bank Holiday weekend and all accommodation other than the very basic albergue, which we had hoped to avoid, was booked out. We should have phoned ahead a day or two earlier.

Like you, I have a little Spanish and it certainly enriched the experience. We had conversations with local people that would not have been possible otherwise. The route goes through some very tiny villages where little if any English is spoke. It really is worth brushing up in the time before you leave.

We hope to leave from Salamanca in early April to finish the Via de la Plata, really looking forward to it.

Buen camino

Hi , I walked the VDLP last year starting on 13 April . I had perfect weather and no problems with muddy crossings anywhere .
I had no idea about Semana Santa but landed smack bang in the middle of it . I enjoyed it .

I booked to stay at Hostal Florida ( AUD $80 per night ) and it was fine for my needs . I had my own small bedroom with ensuite bathroom . Some of the other accommodation options people have suggested here sound good . I also heard a lot about Hostal Tristana but that was booked out for my stay.

I stayed in Sevill on 11 & 12 April and made my accommodation booking only 2 weeks before .

I had no problem at all with vacancies at albergues on my way to Santiago . All Albergues were open and plenty of room . There was a good sprinkling of Pilgrims and I met some wonderful people . Probably 10 to 25 pilgrims each day .

It was an amazing walk . I have walked 6 different Spanish/Portuguese Caminos and this would definitely be one I would do again ...... but then I would do them all again :) . You will love it . Dont over think it . Just book your first or 2nd night in Seville and GO.

A departure in late March or into April , would be one of the perfect times to go . For me leaving 13 April from Seville could not have been better .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I started in late April to avoid Semana Santa. I watched the blogs of those who started earlier and saw that many of the tracks were very muddy and some of the pilgrims quite discouraged by the conditions
@Paul G , Hi Paul I was also going to start mid April 2018 but realised that the Feria De Sevilla was around the same time plus I read about the mud and water crossing , Hence I have also changed it to late April

[QUOTE="C clearly, post: 573925, member: 1589 "until I took the lonelier route from Granja de Moreruela to Astorga.[/QUOTE]
C Clearly, I suspect the crowds in Astorga left "an impression" . Mind you, imagine if the VDLP ended in Sarria instead of Astorga! .

@Paul G , Hi Paul I was also going to start mid April 2018 but realised that the Feria De Sevilla was around the same time plus I read about the mud and water crossing , Hence I have also changed it to late April
I plan to leave Sevilla around 20th April so might run into you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We were in Sevilla for Semana Santa this year. It is an amazing experience. We had 4 nights there before we started walking on Easter Saturday. Being in Sevilla at this time added to our overall enjoyment of our Camino. It is something that we would never experience back home in Australia.

I walked Seville to Cacares in March 2012 and Cacares to Verin in March 2013.
March 2012 was hot and sunny with only 1 or 2 days with rain and no problems with streams, and there was a steady stream of company. 2013 was wet, wet, wet. It had been a very wet winter in Extremadura, the ground was waterlogged, the cows were standing up to their knees in water and most people gave up but I did occasionally have company. You really can't tell what the weather will bring.
No matter what, enjoy! Buen camino!

I walked in 2015 starting on 25 March. It was up too 32 Celsius the first weeks. We had no problems finding accommodation during holy week. In Sevilla I reserved a bed in "Triana Backpackers" It was nice, not expensive and Alberguestyle.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good time to start. Many good replies to your post already. Days will be starting to get hot. But nothing like July - August heat.

If you want to get a good nights sleep, IMHO, I do not recommend staying at Triana Backpackers. Each to their own. Some say it was ok. Noise did not cease until after 2 am when I stayed there one night.

Hotel Simon is good place. Block away from the Cathedral.
Many walkers stay there. Good location.

You can get your ‘Pilgrim Passport' at Hotel Simon. Get first stamp at Cathedral.
Also get stamp at Hotel Simon.

If you plan on staying in Seville best to get a reservation as soon as you can.
Easy city to get around walking, biking and on city bus.

I walked in 2015 starting on 25 March. It was up too 32 Celsius the first weeks. We had no problems finding accommodation during holy week. In Sevilla I reserved a bed in "Triana Backpackers" It was nice, not expensive and Alberguestyle.
Many thanks for that information Antonio and also all of the other inspiring replies which are making me look forward to this exiting adventure. Arnold

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good time to start. Many good replies to your post already. Days will be starting to get hot. But nothing like July - August heat.

If you want to get a good nights sleep, IMHO, I do not recommend staying at Triana Backpackers. Each to their own. Some say it was ok. Noise did not cease until after 2 am when I stayed there one night.

You can get your ‘Pilgrim Passport' at Hotel Simon. Get first stamp at Cathedral.

I'll be checking out Triana and Hotel Simon

I'll be checking out Triana and Hotel Simon Thanks Martyseville
Arnold

I will arrive in Sevilla on the 20th of March in the morning and start walking on the 21st. I have been there twice before so sight seeing is not needed this time. But I will make sure I go to my favorite tapas bar near the cathedral! Plan to get out of the city before the festivity (and overcrowding) starts. Am I making a big mistake?

I stayed in a little place called Pension San Pancracio. It seems that on booking.com they don't take reservations this far in advance (at the moment it appears full for all dates after March 1).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arnie, great web page for Seville (perhaps the best!):

exploreseville.com

Has it all !

Hotel Simon for me. Pilgrim friendly and they had the amigos guidebook.

camio07, agree.

About a block from Hotel Simon (Seville) there is a fish place.

Down to earth. No frills place. Not expensive.

Get fried fish and a beer there. Many locals eat there.

It is about one block from the Cathedral (same side of Cathedral as Hotel Simon).
On the corner. Ask at Hotel for directions. Easy to find.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alas, Hotel Simon was booked out when we were in Sevilla this year. We stayed at Hotel Zaida. Lovely staff and in a quiet area with a rooftop area to enjoy a snack or vino.

Yes, Hotel Simon has been used by walkers for years. Book early.

We've done the VdlP and bits of it a few times, last time last year when we were early 70s. We've started from Huelva (camino del sur) and from Seville. You'll love it Arnie I'm sure, will make life-long friends, see a variety of countryside and find sufficient varied and ever-increasing accommodation.

Semana Santa in Seville or elsewhere is worth planning for, depending on your liking or disliking of Spanish processions and festivals.
Re the weather, be prepared for anything.
Buen camino. Carole

Also recommend Monastery San Martin de Pinario in Santiago. (Thanks to Laurie's recommendation/ peregrinna2000). Phone or email to book and ask for a pilgrim room on the top floor, basic, but the included breakfast is wonderful and amazing value. Plus, reception is open 24 hours and usually English spoken.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It seems that Semana Santa will be the main problem so I will look into departing Seville before it begins and will see what other main centres there are after that.
While finding accomodations around Easter week takes a bit more planning I woule not miss any of its celebrations in the days before for anything in the world. Each town has its own on a different date, with marches, music, even torrejas being handed out on the plaza in Merida. Wonderful time of the year to experience Spanish culture.

While finding accomodations around Easter week takes a bit more planning I woule not miss any of its celebrations in the days before for anything in the world. Each town has its own on a different date, with marches, music, even torrejas being handed out on the plaza in Merida. Wonderful time of the year to experience Spanish culture.
Agree. Semana Santa in Sevilla was unforgettable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! Thank you all for the good information. I had to postpone my trip to Sevilla. It will not be until late March. It looks like there has been a lot of rain. I do hope the rain subsides by then.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hotel Simon for me. Pilgrim friendly and they had the amigos guidebook.
Hi there... with all the good reviews of Hotel Simon, I tried to book for around the 20/22 April..... at $250 to $375 CAD per night.....a little steep for a start, me thinks.....

Hello. It may be because of the date. I scheduled a single room arriving Monday April 2nd and it was 68 euros.

Hi there... with all the good reviews of Hotel Simon, I tried to book for around the 20/22 April..... at $250 to $375 CAD per night.....a little steep for a start, me thinks.....
Hi Jean Claude. The Feria runs from 14th to 21st April. Seville will be crammed and expensive. I’m in Hotel Simon 9/10 and starting VdlP on 11th. Rates were reasonable. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Jean Claude. The Feria runs from 14th to 21st April. Seville will be crammed and expensive. I’m in Hotel Simon 9/10 and starting VdlP on 11th. Rates were reasonable. Buen Camino!
Thanks Richard (and Olympia).... my bad (or good) planning! I did get a place for the 20th ..... maybe we’ll start walking a day earlier ... the Camino provides. Jean

Thanks Richard (and Olympia).... my bad (or good) planning! I did get a place for the 20th ..... maybe we’ll start walking a day earlier ... the Camino provides. Jean
I stayed first night in a quaint little hotel called Patio de las Cruces in Seville before changing to Hotel Simon.
It was lovely.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back